Ferrari 400 Registry | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400 Registry

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by FerrariKingV12, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Thanks for the info !! I don't know where you guys find this data, but I'm very impressed.
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Jings!
    as they say in Scotland, would agree the transmission must have been changed at a point. I would be stunned if Ferrari used an odd steering column and just stuck that on after building a car! Mine says 400GT then chassis No21341.
    all good fun, nice and rare car you have.
    Regards
    Alastair

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine just says "Ferrari 400i" and then "Chassis No. 46153", no GT suffix.

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I thought that was a 355 but after I read your site intro of the 360 & 550, I figured I was mistaken (being that I don't follow the more recent V-12s). I bet you couldn't do that again.
    Don't wait too long for that 'one day', we already got word of a positive GDP quarterly.

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    What a powerful tool !

Does anybody have any information on 400i automatic # 51895.

Thought to be about 10k - 11k miles.

Probably 1985.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Its been repainted with some, err, interesting color accents. Wonder why it needed to be painted after only 10k miles? Some aftermarket chrome wheels which will throw off the accuracy of the speedo. Have you seen the color combo of the interior? :eek:
    It was for sale in 2003 in Indiana, again in 2003 in California with a Nebraska title, and again in 2008.

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    are those wheels aftermarket?

9. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Shown as 16" Gotti wheels. Interior is chocolate brown dash with light tan seats. Stebro exhaust said to be new in February 2008.

10. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    What does the engine bay tag look like/say about the model? 400i/gt/a?

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #111 134282, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw this car 12 September 2009 at Cars & Coffee, Irvine, CA, with a Ferrari of Orange County license plate insert. So I assume it's for sale through them, but I can't be certain. Is that why you ask? Is the car for sale?

Dave, can you tell me more about this car? I've only seen it as red. Do you have pictures of the car before the images taken below?

See below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    Actually, I was wondering what 22579 said on it's tag. I have been told that there were 3 or 4 400s running around with the same serial number. It wasn't something allegedly done by the factory like F50 99999. (From Mr. Sheen http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200705_SS Ferraris by the Numbers) I will have more questions in the morning for sure.

13. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    I am pretty new to the Ferrari world,
    and am (slowly) learning to perform due diligence.

The car I question is now on eBay as item 190344001055

The phone number listed is wrong
    (Try it on anywho - reverse lookup),
    and the email won't go through.

Looking at the eBay photo's,
    I see the wheels are different,
    the speedo has less miles,
    the master cylinder is empty.
    (That must have made for an interesting ride home....)

Too good to be true ?

Scott

14. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i doubt that it was a conversion...
    i'd be willing to bet it was just another Ferrari 'moment' at the Factory.
    the was a 456 GT featured in Forza many years ago with exactly the same discrepancy.

15. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    #115 ragtop1, Oct 31, 2009
    The column tag says automatic on my 5 speed as shown. I will check the firewall stamping tomorrow & get back to you all. I am also questioning the fact that this was indeed a California car, as it has no air pump & no cats. I suspect it wouldn't pass the stringent emmision laws in CA.
    Larry

16. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Earlier this year an FChatter in San Francisco spotted a 400 with the serial number 23123 parked on the street with a manual transmission and "Automatic" on the steering wheel column. It also had a "400i" badge on the back even though the serial number is clearly for a carburetted 400.

I guess the moral of the story is that a lot can happen to a car over a 32 year period!

17. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I just posted the details of my car (21557) on the register. This is a great site. I am the owner of the www.400register.com site and what you are doing is what I wanted to do but never seemed to find the time. I have a fair amount of info on 400s and will contribute when I can.

Telling whether a 400 was auto or manual can also be done by looking at the model number of the Webers (assuming they are original). The model number for the Auto's is 38 DCOE 110-111 (both types are used on on engine and whether it is 110 or 111 depends on where it is located on the engine. On a manual GT the carb model numbers are 38 DCOE 110M-111M, with the 'M' designating a manual box I assume. This is shown on page 12 of the owners manual and the Weber model number can be seen when looking down onto the top of the carb.

18. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I am also a fan of your site and mentioned it to JR when he launched his, these guys in the States have really got a great interest in the model this site is great too.

I got some great inspiration looking through the fantastically well documented Britt 400i restoration, before and after getting my 400GT which currently has the engine out with Phil at Roseneath engineering, its 21341.
    Regards
    Alastair

19. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Ashman thanks for the help when diagnosing oil pump bearings failure a few months back, as previous, engine is out and moving forward now. really helpfull stuff and appreciated.
    Regards
    Alastair

20. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Just wanted to give a quick update on the registry.

I am in process of editing information on cars I found online to reflect the date and where the actual information was found per Dave's suggestion. It is amazing the amount of inacurate and incositent info that exist. I will hopefully have it finished by the end of the week.

I also removed all of the ratings and have set it up so when you visit the site you can vote how you view the particular car. It also tracks the number of times a car has been voted on.

I added a dashboard on the percentage of cars found overall and by each model.

Later this week I will add the Did You Know items like the difference between Series 1 and Series 2 cars (Which I had no idea of until Dave Stacy told me) and the somewhat confusing GT status of a car (A GT is always a manual)

I added a few more videos.

Order now shows from most recent registered working backwards.

For the most part I am done with the construction and will post a few other Ferrari sites and see where the site goes. Thank you to everyone for their help, suggestions and input. I think it will be fun to view it a year from now and see how many cars have posted.

Cheers,
    JR
    www.ferrari400.com

21. Dotnet

Dotnet Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    #121 Dotnet, Nov 4, 2009
    Your Comment???
    "the master cylinder is empty.
    (That must have made for an interesting ride home....)"

It's the OIL filler for the engine--(Not the Master--Get a Clue) it was shown to reveal how new the motor was--as stated in the description

22. RMSI

RMSI Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Kind of an extreme response, don'tcha think?

23. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Especially for a 2nd post!

24. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE Karting

Nov 3, 2008
    Holmby Hills,Calif.
    Full Name:
    Todd Varble
    Hey Carbon to answer TZ750, I know the car it's not a repaint, the car I beleive came from Pat Patrick of Patrick racing. The coves were highlighted in sponsor color, but was gone over in a contrasting red in the highlighted coves only. The paint is original, as is the mileage, tool kit still has original "band-aids" on it, and the spare has never seen the ground... Thanks, Todd

25. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    I heart from a seller that his 400i was factory painted in "nero savana". I never heart before of this colour. So I'm quite sure that at this time - it is a 1979 - nobody ordered any special colour for this car.

Is it right that in 1979 there were only two black paitings:

Nero 20-B-50
    Nero Dark Ronald

Has anybody an idea?