Affordable Future Collectable Cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Affordable Future Collectable Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TexFerrari, Oct 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I saw a Typhoon and a Syclone driving next to each other yesterday...I would definitely consider either a future collectible. Pretty cool, never seen two together like that before.

RMX

2. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Subaru STI, any except the current body style.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    BMW Z8
    Acura NSX
    Unmolested, Unmodified Porsche 930

4. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I rode in a Typhoon a few years ago. Not too bad, and I can see these going up. With this generation, I can definetely see the NSX, Supra, and some other tuners going up.

5. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I think that there will be very few. You guys are forgetting repair costs. Who's going to have the machines and proper diagostics to fix a 30 year old civic or anything else for that matter. Parts for "newer" cars are insane compared to older stuff. As soon as the cars depreciate down, whos going to spend 2-3K fixing a 2-3K car??

Why is an nice 81 Vette worth more than a nice 91, **** even 01...........repairs. An 81 is the slowest, handles the worst but at least you can fix it.

328's are surpassing 348s, why. Repair costs. It's not that a 328 is a better car than a 348 it's cheaper and easier to fix. "therefore" it gets the reputation of being a better car.

With regards to special Vipers, Vettes, 1st generation this or that. They still make Corvettes therefore and older vette will always be compared to the newer one. Hows a special editiion 96 or a early ZR1 ever going to be worth more than cars that are newer. You not gaining anything by buying an older one, they are still expensive to fix.

Explain to me why a early NSX or Viper will be worth more than a newer one. Which BTW are way better cars.

I always though it was funny when people said ohh the 02 Camaros are going to be worth so much money. I said to myself "not as long as they're still making Corvettes" Who would place more value on a 02 Camaro than a 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 etc etc Corvette?

The problem with anything built in the last 20 yrs or so is that it can be compared directly to something else thats newer, better, faster, more fuel efficient etc. 91 Vette is not even remotely comparible to an 81. In fact an 84 Vette has more in common with an 04 than it does a 82.

Cars from the 50's, 60's 70's aren't comparible anything except other cars from the same era. Therefore newer cars have to be compared to other newer cars.

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Me two.

I don't think a Civic could ever be a collectable unless your talking about the latest Civic SI and even then I don't think that will be a collectors car.

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you think a '81 Corvette is worth more then a '91 or '01 your mistaken. The 74-82's are worth the least. The late C4's, especially the '96 LT4 cars are going up. A '96 GS, even with 50K on it goes for 25-30K.

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I got chuckle out of this. How much things cost to get fix don't mean anything. Ever try to wrench on a old Colombo V12? Or a '63 Fuely? Not so easy or cheap. A car being newer has NOTHING to due with it's desired collectability. What people want does. That's like saying a '06 GTO is worth more then a '64 because it is newer. Makes no sense.

9. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Collectible Cars from 1990-2009 are going to expensive to maintain over the years and few designs are going to stand the test of time. What is the cost of fixing a 575 going to be 15 years from now. How much fun is it going to be to find ceramic rotors for a car that has them today.

10. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Really, 91's are easily bought in the mid teens and I've seen plenty close to 10K. 01's are high teens, maybe 20K. I nice 74-82 vette will easily sell for 15-20K

A 96 GS may be 25-30K now, but wait until the new ZR1's, even Z06s are 5-10 years old. How many people will value a 96 GS over a 2010 ZR1......not too many. Most car values are all realative to what can be bought for the same money.

I know that a 63 fuelly, vintage 50's VW's aren't particularily cheap for some parts, but at least they can be wrenched on. I didn't say that a 06 GTO is worth more than a 64...........in 10-15 years it will be if not already. (I'm canadian, we don't have 06 GTOs up here) How is anyone going to fix a 06 GTO without having the proper equipment.

Thank you, I agree

30 years from now we'll still see 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's car on the road why??? becuase thay can be fixed. Think of all cars that were so popular in the 1990's that aren't even on the road anymore, you just don't see them. Cars nowadays are disposable.......10-15 years 90% are garbage.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Im sorry but I think you might be out of touch. The import CRAZE... is similar to the muscle car era... like it or not... people of my generation are going to gravitate towards a clean 92-95 civic si hatch.. or a 99-00 civic si (good luck finding one with a clean title) a #s matching integra type r (most were stolen and stripped) with only a small handful built in white... A/C was optional... LSDs... then were the later years of yellow and black.. OHHH the possibilites

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

How much is it going to cost to fix a civic? seriously? 92-2000 civics only utilize OBDII. they require no electronic resets or anything... also... check out www.hondata.com the ecus have been cracked. There is nothing to worry about. There is an endless supply of engines and parts (thanks to japans mandatory scrapping of engines after a 60k miles) These cars are super easy to work on... just as easy to work on as a 289 ford... or a 350 chevy. Many have said the B-series honda motor is todays small block chevy. Even if you go more exotic to the NSX... its all the same very basic technology... most expensive thing is the titanium in the engine (which is dropping in price) and the chassis/body being aluminum... however we already have aluminum bodied classics and its no big deal.

Supras went through there era of 1000-1500hp.. holding world records in the texas mile... 1/4 mile etc...

ohh... and speaking from experiance... owning several vipers... the 96-2002 viper is hands down the best... ill take a 97 over an 03-04-05-06 any day of the week.. The GTS will be a collectible. Its what got america back in the supercar business... without the viper GTS there would be no ZR1... no Z06 (C5 or C6) is it a perfect car... NOPE... thats what makes it special. the first gen GTS viper will be a massivly collectible car. it made such a huge stir when it came out... its loved all over the world. is super easy simple and cheap to work on... every kid had a picture on the wall or has flipped out when they saw there first blue white stripe car... it is an american icon... a throw back to the past with its daytona coupe inspired body. The car is just dead sexy... especially when compaired to the newer slab sided cars. They were built in limited numbers... there are only a handful of some colors made and typically less than 1000 built in any one color for a year.

I think the 993 turbo and turbo s will be huge as well... the 996 won't be... to many made... too common... surpased by the 997...

i think the R1 edition RX7s will be valuable as well.

Probably all of the Cobra Rs will be sought after.

you do have a point when it comes to cermaic brakes and stuff like that... but honestly... I think a 430 is the future 308. too many made... defined by an era of mortgage money and the thought of... well i have money... i need a ferrari convertible.. thank god it comes without a clutch pedal cause i would look like a dufuss...

I think the 355 will be a hit. the 550 (still a steel braked car arguably more attractive than the 575). The 599 will probably be a hit just because it is such a huge departure and a fantastic front engine V-12.

just my 2 cents.. sure there are others but its probably not worth typing out... nobody probably really cares...

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you pay 15-20K for a '74-'82 Vette your insane. I saw two perfect ones last night at a cruise night for 7K and 11K. Any Vette guy would rather a '91 or '01 over a '77. And that will never change....

As for the GS, they only made 1000. So they will always be disirable. They have made well over 1000 ZR1's already. Not everyone wants a ZR1, and the GS is rare and different. I think your using your newer must be better theory again. And as I said, in the world of collector cars that means nothing. Never will....

14. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    C4 vettes probably aren't getting any cheaper. They won't be collectible, apart from the ZR-1, but they will likely appreciate in value over the next 20 years

C3's may not be great handling cars, but they have the look.

Lotus Esprit, the Giugiaro design. A well kept sample will appreciate I would think.

I would love to say that the Countach will appreciate but I don't even know what they go for today. Easily collector cars in the future.

Pontiac Fiero GT. The price is simply so low that it's hard to believe they could get any lower. And they do look rather good.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    VW Westfalia/Transporter Syncro.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #41 Wade, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    On the NSX; 91 was the first year which carries some weight in the collector car world, or last is also a draw. 91 to 94's were manual steering coupes which were lighter and thus more "pure". The 99 Zanardi was the "best" having manual steering, coupe, 3.2 engine and 6 speed.

First Vipers were super low production and the rawest.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #43 LightGuy, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    My picks

Cheap; Mazda RX-7 TT's. Low production and under appreciated now. Most were trashed or riced. (BTW; "Cheap" Supras never existed).
    To satisfy the import craze crowd where a CRX just doesnt have the Ooomph.

Mid priced I'm on board here :

High priced;

996 GT2
    Last of the Porsche unleashed monsters. The spiritual successor to the 930. 1000 built worldwide and most have been crashed outside the US. Here (thankfully) they are garaged and shown, not driven.
    Probably will not be duplicated in character because of liability laws.

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Gotta disagree. The Grand Sport is much more rare then the ZR-1. Only 1000 made and even now in many cases they go for more then the ZR-1's do. IMO I think the LT4 cars will go up in value. Only made in '96, and only came with the 6-speeds. They only made about 6000 total LT4 cars.

20. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I definitely have to agree on the Z3 M Coupe ... I had a euro-spec model a couple of years back and I only sold it because I moved to the US and the engine wasn't federalized.

I miss that car a lot. It's definitely a future classic. Especially the S54 powered one (325hp E46 engine) as it was built in very low numbers.

21. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Ok, I agree on the Grand Sport, given it's a special it will be a collectible. I'm simply not very familiar with the corvette specials other than knowing I thought the ZR-1 was hot when I was a kid (and I still think that engine is pretty cool). I think it's the only Vette ever with a DOHC engine?

I didn't say the standard C4 wouldn't appreciate. they will appreciate in value seeing as how they are pretty low priced now, they just won't be collectible in 20 years. which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

22. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#47 REMIX, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did see a guy not too long ago desperate to sell his original GS - he wanted 20k or so.

A split tail '74 454 vert might be worth a little bit in the future. '78 pace cars are getting good money lately it seems. Aside from that, I think you're pretty much on the money. The C3 up to '72 is of most interest to me.

71 Nevada Silver big block anyone? :D

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. MCM

MCM Rookie

Aug 1, 2005
    Sold my last 2 Muscle cars a few yrs ago.
    65 396 4 1/4 Vert and a early 65 Fastback Hi-Po Mustang.

The garage now has a 94 NSX & 90 E30 M3.

Both have tweaked susp. & minor improvements, but more or less stock.

Fun as hell to drive too!

Have often thought about this.
    Non US cars that didn't really take off that I thought might.......

240Z, BMW 2002, 2 door Datsun 510.

I didn't buy my current 2 for speculation.
    Just really, really enjoy driving them.

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with this.

The 308 is the only one on that list that will be worth saving, probably either fibreglass or a 328.

I owned a VR6 Corrado, and they are poorly made, disposable cars with old technology.

The E36 BMWs were produced in the tens of thousands, maybe over 100,000. Common, outdated, expensive to repair, etc.

All the ZR1 Corvettes were saved by brainwashed "investors" who have taken a bath on their "collectable" cars.

Agreed - Z8 has held value well, as have Diablos. The other stuff you listed, probably just old used cars.

Agreed.

Well said, although the 328 is worth more than a 308 or 348 because all of them are dated performance-wise, but the 328 is regarded as the best looking as well as the most debugged.

And I agree, pretty much anything made in the last 20 years that is affordable now will always be just another used car. The 328 was the last of the old Ferraris, and you could argue that after 1989 Porsches got a lot less interesting as well.

OK, but who cares? Civics are great - I had 3 of them and liked them all - but they are disposable appliances, not collectable cars.

25. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I should have know you would mention a 328... Never gonna be a collector car.

Sorry.

As for the Corrado, they are rare and they were light years ahead of anything else at the time. They have a beautifully designed body, and most automotive publications of the day hailed them as an inexpensive Porsche. I owned one too... I wouldn't say they were poorly made or disposable.

Read again about the E36... I specifically mentioned the 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight. Very very limited production...

As for the ZR1, you might have a point but the early cars with the Lotus inspiration are certainly unique in the Corvette world.