250 LM Repro coming up for auction | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 LM Repro coming up for auction

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Aug 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    It sports chassis no. 6167R. Of interest to Niles is an ATS Chassis no. 2004 at the same RM auction on the 28th in London.

Chuck Queener

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Are ATS really at that high of dollar/pound sterling or is it specific to this serial number?

Jeff

3. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Jeff, We'll just have to wait and see.

Chuck

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Weren't 2 cars crushed last year that were both made with some original parts? They essentially destroyed 2 cars that had some legitimate parts on them and now those parts can never be used or saved

5. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #55 tuttebenne, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Regarding the driveability of the LMs, I recall a couple of "local heros" here on Long Island who had LMs; two of which were used on the track. One owner was a 6/10ths kind of driver while the other was a 9/10ths kind of driver. Never seemed to give either of them a problem, and the 9/10ths guy loaned the car out for hot laps regularly. Maybe they were more attentive than most but none of them ever mentioned how difficult the cars were to drive. The third car was driven regularly on the street - painted covers on the headlights and all. I still have vivid memory of this car smoking at idle,as all early Ferraris did, in traffic on the Grand Central Parkway. A 250LM there among the Buick Centurys, Ford Fairmonts, and Cordobas - what a sight to behold. Ah life was much different back in then (the 80s)!

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Was one of these two Joe Rosen? He had 5901 that came from Bob Bodin.

Jeff

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

Yup

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The headlight covers weren't painted. That was a Drogo modification where the headlights were hidden and that assembly flipped around to expose them when needed.

I agree. Driving any of these is no big deal.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #59 tuttebenne, Oct 7, 2009
    Interesting Jim; all I could tell was that the covers looked painted but your info on the Drogo mods makes sense. The owner was an Asian gentleman in his late 60s or early 70s.

(belated congrats on hitting 18,000 posts! I wonder if the counter field is a 5 digit field or 6...hmmm)

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #60 tuttebenne, Oct 7, 2009

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi

Yes. He was a very nice guy who drove that Puppy all around NY and to WWOC every Sat.

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The third car was driven regularly on the street - painted covers on the headlights and all. I still have vivid memory of this car smoking at idle,as all early Ferraris did, in traffic on the Grand Central Parkway. A 250LM there among the Buick Centurys, Ford Fairmonts, and Cordobas - what a sight to behold. Ah life was much different back in then (the 80s)![/QUOTE]

This car was owned by a Japanese gentleman, and had NY plate "250LM." I have an old video segment on him, which came from the Japanese "Car Graphic" tv show, if I'm not mistaken. I believe that Bob Zambelli was somewhat acquainted with him. Fred

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Hisashi Okada

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Isn't that the LM that he got by swapping 808 the Le Mans winning 62 330TRi with Bardinon?

I do not believe I ever met Bob Dusek, only know/knew of him.

Jeff

15. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  17. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Crazy! One is a LHD the other a RHD. Could someone explain this to me????

Cheers!

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dino,

If you do a search on the internet on the chassis number you will find out why there are two cars with the same chassis numbers... It is indeed an interesting story.

Cheers,

Sam

19. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I see, thanks Sam , I'll give it a go and see what I can find out. Must be quite a story!

Cheers!

20. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looks like the car was at Motor Classics when the pictures were shot. These are my dream car too.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  22. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #72 geno berns, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andrew,

Here is the picture of the car. I looked at this car very closely at Laguna Seca, Mr. Saprano from Motor Car Classics brought the car and raced it all weekend on the track until a gear box issue came up. The car has a bunch of original bits from a crashed 250 LM. He also offered me a replica located in the UK for a very sensible price of $1MM. What do you think this car is available for? I won't tell you till you guess. We than can split it.

Geno.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I did a search on the sn but I could not find any story about how the two cars are claiming the same number? Help!
    Cheers!

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dino,

There used to be a nice write-up about the two cars on the web, but I see that it is no longer on there... Too bad, as the writeup was nicely detailed. Sadly, I did not archive the link and/or write-up... but I will keep looking. If I find the info I will report back.

Regardless of the "stories" the resurrected LM's are very nice and I would be happy to have one in my garage. An original with no (controversial) stories would be even better, but sadly my funds do not extend that far :( ...

Cheers,

Sam

Cheers,

Sam

25. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Thanks Sam! I'm glad to here that the site is no longer there, at least I know why I could not find it and it was not my poor searching skills that were to blame. I too would love to have either a rebuild or an original, but as you say, my funds are no where close to having one in my garage either. One must dream though, you never know what twist of fate may come in the future! Thanks for all your help and imput!

Cheers!