250 LM Repro coming up for auction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 LM Repro coming up for auction

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Aug 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    And it is at "NO RESERVE"

2. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I remember a real LM used to show up at the Virginia City Hillclimb many years ago, late '80's. I always got a thrill watching it take off from the line. I have some photos of it some where. It was owned by a doctor and he drove it to the event. The good old days.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yellow? Then probably Lou Sellyei. If I remember correctly he is/was from the Reno area so it wasn't far. 5909 was driven from the Bay Area at least once.

Jeff

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I remember seeing it advertised for sale in the past. I don't remember the price.

5. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    Yes, that was the owner and it was yellow. I believe he had some other nice cars also. Someday I'll drag out my old photos and scan them. There was a real CA Spyder there along with the LM one year.

6. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    Dear Ferrarichatters,
    I don't own a Ferrari...but I was noised from the legal protection of the brand "Ferrari"
    they made around all take this name.
    I'm a modeler and the price was higher than in the past because only the autorized factory may produce a model!
    What about real cars, real repro cars, sold at those high prices, and noising the vintage real market?
    Why the Ferrari don't act again this kind of things?
    Ferrari doesn't like modelers?
    refards,
    Alessandro

7. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    Slightly OT, but I gotta say...that LM Stradale is maybe the best looking F car ever.

I know the owner is on Fchat- mroz?

8. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Previous owner that is.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    When will RM post more info !!

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Wow, I can't believe that we're all getting so positively excited over a replica.

Agreed, a very nice one, still with (as mentioned) its' faults, but nevertheless a very nice car indeed.

I'd also like to see more details and descriptions. I suspect they left the sparewheel in the car with the engine-bay photo to hide the transaxle...

I also find some of the photos to be shot from 'strange' angles, and hope that RM will show the car from the more usual angles when they publish a little more information.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Personally I don't find any of these cars hard to drive or scary. They are fragile and one should keep that in mind before you do something stupid.

On the street I've found mufflers, electric cooling fans, better alternators and a good battery help.

I really don't think you could build a "Clone" for what you can buy a replica for.

If you're interested in this one talk to and call Shelby Meyer at RM.

He's a good guy.

I'd also have DK help you with a PPI and sort should you buy it.

Talk to David.

Feel free to mention my name to those guys.

12. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL

Hmmm....Where is it now?

13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Sold from CA to MEX last fall, IIRC.

Best,
    Dave

14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Oh please please don't wait. Drag out those pics now and give us a look see. thanks just one man's opinion tongascrew

15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #40 Ed Niles, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Engine number used in the Schermerhorn replica is presumably 4007.

17. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    So if you tried to drive this car in Italy would they impound and crush it?? I wonder what Ferrari's views on a replica being advertised as a Ferrari are......

It does look like a beautiful car.

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    They most certainly would; thereby rightly (IMO) and legally destroying an unauthorized fake.

In Italy, thank God and the Italian legislators, there are no Ferrari collections riddled with fakes passed as authentic. When you see a great car, you now it's real.

In Switzerland, on the other hand...

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

A great looking car, and the owner had the brilliant idea to add an extra Ferrari script on the nose. This avoids confusion and kindly reminds us which automotive brand the prancing horse stands for.

20. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006

Jeff,

I don't remember making that comment about Phil. He might spin once in a new car but it would never happen again unless there was a mechanical failure. He was always aware of a vehicle's vices and the reason he never drew blood in a race car was his deep rooted sense of self preservation. I might have said to keep your foot in it if the tail came out but could steer with the throttle and it didn't take much to break it loose. It was better behaved on faster bends. They look great.

Someone here thought the LM was a better handling car than the GTO. They were faster as each new generation is almost always an improvement. I've had the good fortune to put many miles on both and there is no comparison. It's not for nothing that GTOs are at the $28M mark. I can't remember but LMs are in the $4.5/5M for a good reason.

Regards,
    Chuck

21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck,

Yes, your comment to me was a warning on how to keep me from doing anything too stupid with the car and not about Phil.

Jeff

22. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That rear hatch is all wrong though. The butress length/angle I mean. Still, what a fun car

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think better handling is not the right term. More traditional or more forgiving handling might be a better term.

GTO's are more expensive because any old fool can drive one (heck even I could :)) and there are many, many classic events thery can be used in, from wine tours to track events.
    Pete

24. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    What is the stainless steel cylinder in the engine bay of the California Spyder? Also, it looks like he chromed the heat shields over the headers. Owner definately liked a bit of bling.

25. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    UPDATE: My mistake, an LM (5845) went for $7,035,600 at RM's Ferrari Leggenda Passione on May 18, 2008 in Maranello.

CQ