FURNITURE BUILDERS CAPITAL | FerrariChat

FURNITURE BUILDERS CAPITAL

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by msdesignltd, Aug 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi All, I am in the midst of designing and building a high end line of childrens furniture..
    See Link..

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254427

I do not want to go overseas for such production...Does anyone have any connections to hand made furniture builders, in the Carolinas..
    Or in USA anywhere for that matter..

All replies ,respectfully Thankful..
    Michael

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#2 Ricambi America, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Not going overseas could be a mistake, in my humble opinion. US production exists, but the workmanship is not particularly better. The only real difference is cost of labor and inbound freight.

My father has been in the furniture manufacturing business for 30+ years, and moved 100% of his production offshore in the late 80's. Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Philippines, Mexico, etc. The quality you get is directly related to the effort, oversight, tooling, and design that you invest in.

PM me if you would like to discuss or need contacts.

3. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I live in NC, and we tried to buy furniture made in the US and in NC.
    This was just a couple, 3 years ago. We looked all over western NC.
    Couldn't find anything that we were looking for that was actually made here.

We specifically tried to buy US made furniture.

Eventually found furniture we liked and bought from Nichols and Stone out of Mass.
    I think they were building chairs/furniture around the 1700s in the states.

What we bought from them was exceptional finish and build quality.

I do believe some furniture is still made in VA at least it was when we were looking at
    the time

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd applaud his looking to keep production here. Given the regional economy, he may well be able to wrangle significant deals on such things as taxes to keep down his costs. LOTS of unemployed furniture workers in WNC - I'm sure at least a few of them would be willing to do a darned good job if they were given the chance.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    I don't want to get into a political discussion, but its unfortunate if locals are willing to do a better job today (in the abyss of unemployment) then back when their management begged and pleaded for labor concessions to stay competitive. The ship has sailed unfortunately, and except for small boutique manufacturers, furniture in the USA has gone the way of shoes and plastic toys. I have little compassion for a workforce that drove my father to the brink of financial disaster in the mid 80's. If people think furniture made in China, by the mere fact of its country of origin, is inferior, then they should do some more research.

In southern VA, there is still some Bassett capacity, but I doubt they'd want a small kind of project. Mt. Airy has lost just about everything, as well as Hickory, Lexington, Thomasville, and the smaller communities out west.

[/rant OFF]

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    HMMM>>> The World has changed quite a bit since I last took a look...

I am sourcing India, I dont expect much...I would rather keep it Here...But, Dinosaurs are just that.

Any Leads for China manufacturing will be appreciated too...

Where to begin??

7. MYMC

MYMC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2006
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a friend who owns a furniture manufacturing facility here in the states and is looking for work. I will be happy to supply contact info if you PM me.

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Now we are Talking....
    PM on the Way!
    Thanks, Michael

9. MYMC

MYMC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2006
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Michael
    PM back at you...hopefully something mutually advantageous will work out for you both.

10. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I don't buy plastic toys and my shoe are from either south America or Europe.
    :)))

If you have bed frames, head and foot boards to do, check Wesley Allen in CA. they still hand build. They also do custom work.

11. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan

I totally agree. My parents lost their business due to greedy and ignorant employees who brought in a Union and subsequently couldn't afford their demands and shut down.

12. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Division I worked for shut down for pretty much exactly the same reason - Union related overhead. I'm still glad someone is trying to make a go with locals before looking overseas though.

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Dont Get me started on Unions....

6 Months ago I shut one of My companies...about 60 employees...Union demanding payment or strike..Now I am in court crap

Spitefully I closed the company..and am proceeding to Exit Union Status.
    They recieved + 33% of my payroll...thats more Than I was making...BYE BYE
    The Employees did not even want a Union.