Your Other Sports Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your Other Sports Car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by venusone, Jul 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    #26 101010, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    I have an '03 S2k (black) that I bought brand new off the showroom floor in the summer of 2003. it's a GREAT car, I drive it every day. on the weekends or after a stressful day at the office I truly enjoy tossing it around the twists and curves of the Santa Cruz mountains and Hwy 1. I definitely do not drive it gently, but it remains absolutely rock solid reliable and starts up every time (it's a Honda after all), and have only had to change fluids and other wear items.

even after owning it for 6 years I still turn around and admire it when I'm walking away after parking.

definitely go out and buy an '03! the '03 models had all the kinks and TSAs worked out. a lot of car for the money, and yes... 9k RPM is fun. don't expect a torque monster, so it's not a red light racer... but on a twisty back country road with the RPMs above 6k... pure joy. :)

the only performance modification I've made is the addition of an x-brace to make the already extremely stiff chassis that much stiffer. swapping out the exhaust for a lighter one is probably next on my list, but I'm in no rush.

with the OEM S-02s, I've thrown that car into curves that were unexpectedly tight ;) and the S2k just sticks and turns so nicely, the weight distribution is really ideal... it builds your confidence... you just want to hit those curves faster and faster... great feel, great fun. (one thing I enjoy doing is simply never lifting my foot of the throttle except to shift... no braking... just flying up the hill in 2nd or 3rd gear... taking the curves at speed...)

I've also removed the spare tire and just keep Fix-a-Flat in the trunk. saves a bit of weight.

otherwise, a countersunk aluminum knob (big round sphere, fits nicely in the hand) makes shifting a joy... the throws are so short and butter smooth, it's really just a flick of your wrist... like a joystick... and your arm rests comfortably on the padded center console... the cockpit surrounds you, all the controls are well placed and just a finger-flick away...

also some other minor convenience mods, like a Fumoto valve so I don't need to jack up the car to change the oil...

and speaking of oil... I have mine analyzed every other oil change... and each time they rave at how well the motor has broken in, how my wear numbers look great. it's a superb motor.

other cars may come and go, but the S2000 stays forever-- I enjoy it that much.

seriously, find the best one you can and buy it today.

---

EDIT: I've always loved 308/328s... and can afford to buy one... but I'm honestly worried I'll be disappointed in how flex-y they are, esp after my S2k. I know they're cars of a different era... but I don't drink (much) or do drugs (ever)... so after a tough week in the office, spirited driving in a reliable car, with the top down, wind in my hair is my celebration of the freedoms I've been fortunate to have earned... and helps me leave my troubles behind...

EDIT2: just writing all this makes me... that it, I'm going for drive. :D

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    everyone I know who has (or had) an S2K has said the same thing...great little cars.

3. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    2006 is the best year:D

My dad used to have a car identical to that one.

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Both are fuel efficient too.

Depending on how you drive them :D

5. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    i bought a new silver s2000 in nov of '99...loved it!!!...then i saw a new black '08 s2000 cr and thought it was time for a new dd....sold the old one to my brother in law and have had even more fun than with the antique model!...

6. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #31 jim g, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I have a red NSX (fantastic car!) and a burgundy (arena red) Porsche Boxster (fantastic car!).

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    me likey!

9. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How do you like that car?

I have been looking at them lately and would love to hear an opinion from an actual owner.

Do you use it as a DD or is it another special car, for me it would be a special car and sometimes I think (but hope not) it would be too boring.

How does it compare to your Ferrari?

-Steve

10. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Thanks for the kind words. I use it as my daily driver and I couldn't be happier. I even have a set of snow tires for it, goes great. I also had a 996tt as a dd with X50 package and the 997 is a much more exciting drive. It handles much better the the 996 and feels much more like a rear driver. Its feels faster in a straight line then my 430, but is nowhere near as much fun to drive. I'd highly recommend one as its perfect in its role for me.