Can a 20 Grade Oil Work in an Enzo? | FerrariChat

Can a 20 Grade Oil Work in an Enzo?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AEHaas, Jul 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Yes. Here is some data and follow the discussion:

10/2007:
    This is my neighbor’s 2003 Ferrari Enzo with a total of 8,800 miles on the left column and my 2003 Enzo with a total of 3,000 miles on the right column (middle column as of today-2009). Both cars had 1,400 miles on the oil. His obviously had more break-in time. He had the oil changed by the Ferrari dealer using the required 10W60 Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I ran 0W30 Castrol GC.

The recommended interval is 5,000 miles, less if on the track. This is strictly off track use in town and on the highway, probably 50-50 for his car and 90 percent city for me.

His oil was tested by: http://www.youroil.net, while I got the full, total evaluation from Terry Dyson at http://www.dysonanalysis.com.

7/2009:
    Another 1,400 miles on the Enzo now with 4,400 miles, still not broken in fully. When I took out the GC I put in 0W-30 RLI. This is what we are testing here today. Again, tested by Dyson. Remember that his testing counts larger particles as well as all the smaller ones so other labs may give false lower values.

My driving has been exclusively in town and most often back and forth from Home Depot for small items. Just before this sample was taken we drove to the Ferrari dealership in Tampa to test drive the new Ferrari California. Going there and back took a total of 2.5 hours or so and about half of the way back it rained (very hard).

So the fuel dilution was probably much higher before this short trip. At no time has the oil temperature in this engine gotten above 180 F. This oil has been in for nearly two years but Terry Dyson says I should just keep going (and going and going).

What is particularly interesting is that I put in 0W-30 RLI and the viscosity (with probably even a lesser dilution after this trip) is in the 20 grade area now. Remember that a 60 grade oil is spec’ed.
    ................................................................................................................

_____________Shell..GC...RLI
    Iron___________ 32...11...7
    Chromium ______<1...0....1
    Nickel ___ _______ 2...1....0
    Aluminum ______ 11...3....2
    lead ___________ 16...0....3
    Copper _________25...8....4
    Tin ____________<1...0....0
    Silver _________<.1....0....0
    Titanium _______<1....0....0
    Silicon __________ 7...3....4
    Boron __________ 1...3....16
    Sodium _________ 8...3....10
    Potassium ______<10...0....0
    Molybdenum ____ <5....1....2
    Phosphorus ___1026..935...1032
    Zinc ________ 1135..1228..1055
    Calcium _____ 1454..1671..2108
    Barium _______ <10....0....2
    Magnesium ___1219...526..53
    Antimony _____<30...0....265
    Vanadium ______<1...0....0
    Fuel %Vol _____<1...1.2...1.3
    Flash_______not done..335..320
    Abs Oxid ______ 34...10...127
    Abs Nitr _______ 11...8....8
    Wtr %vol ______<0.1...KF=247....KF=1063 “a little damp, but not bad”
    Vis CS 100C __ 15.8...11.8...8.6
    Vic CS 40C___not done...66...44
    SAE Grade _____40....30....20
    Gly test ______NEG...0.37 “not antifreeze”....0
    TBN _________not done...7.9....5.9
    Visc Index_____not done..154...177
    Soot__________not done...0...0.01

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1543003#Post1543003

aehaas

2. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Thanks, very interesting. Especually after I found this general break down:

WEAR METAL SOURCES

IRON……….CYLINDERS, GEARS, RINGS, CRANKSHAFTS, LINERS, BEARINGS, HOUSINGS, RODS, and PLATINGS

CHROMIUM……………..RINGS,ROLLER/TAPER BEARINGS, RODS, PLATINGS

LEAD……….BEARING OVERLAYS, ADDITIVES IN GEAR OIL AND GASOLINE

COPPER…………………BUSHINGS, BEARINGS, THRUST WASHERS, FRICITION PLATES, OIL COOLERS, ADDITIVE IN OIL

TIN………………………………….BEARINGS, BUSHINGS, PISTONS, PLATINGS

ALUMINUM………PISTONS, BEARINGS, PUMPS, BLOWERS, ROTORS, THRUST WASHERS

NICKEL……………………………………………………………………VALVES

SILVER………………………………………….BEARINGS,BUSHINGS,PLATING

MANGANESE……….TRACE ELEMENTS IN LINERS AND RINGS, ADDITIVE IN GASLOLINE.

TITANIUM……………………………………………………….TRACE ELEMENT

VANADIUM……………………………………………………..TRACE ELEMENT

CONTANIMENTS & SOURCES

SILICON…………………………………….ELEMENT USED TO DETERMINE THE LEVEL OF AIRBORNE DIRT AND ABRASIVES IN THE OIL.(SOMETIMES USED AS AN ANTI-FOAM AGENT)

BORON………………………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEMS INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE)

SODIUM………………………………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEM INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE)

POTASSIUM………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEM INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE IN GEAR OIL)

ADDITIVES AND THEIR FUNCTION

MAGNESIUM……………………….DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE

CALCIUM………………………….. DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE

BARIUM………………………….. DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE.

PHOSPHORUS…………………………………..….ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

ZINC……………………………………………….…. ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

MOLBDENUM………………………………….…… ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

FUEL DILUTION = UNBURNED FUEL IN THE OIL MAY SIGNAL FUEL SYSTEM LEAKS OR INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION.

FUEL SOOT = A RESULT IN INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION OR BLOW-BY. HIGH DRAIN LEVELS AMY INDICATES COMBUSTION PROBLEMS OR OVEREXTENDED DRAIN INTERVALS.

VISCOSITY = THE KINEMATIC VISCOSITY DETERMINED AT 40°C AND/OR 100°C IS A MEASURE OF THE FLOW RATE OF AN OIL IN RELATION TO TIME. THIS DATA IS USED TO ASSIGN AN SAE GRADE TO OIL.

SAE GRADE…………….MIN-cST-100°………………MAX-Cst

10w……………………4.10………………………….xx

20w………………………..5.60……………………….9.29

30w…………………………9.30……………………..…12.49

40w……………………….12.50……………………………16.29

50w………………………..16.30………………………………21.89

joe