What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    We are considering building or maybe acquiring a 2nd [summer] home in the NC mtns. We would like to escape from the FL summers. Probably will build new since I have built 700+ homes in my career...it's in my blood. But my questions are related to the recommended towns/areas. I prefer above 3500 ft of elevation for cool summers. We would like to be within a short drive to a quaint small town that has the basics......grocery and convenience plus a few decent restaurants. We are thinking that Asheville is the only sizable city in the mts so that might need to be within 30-40 minutes.

We would prefer being within 2 hrs drive time from Charlotte. Getting to CLT from here in SW FL is easy w/ lots of flights available. That is important as we will probably fly back and forth thru the summer and fall seasons as I am still working. I do have lots of flexibility as it is a family biz and my son does the hard work. [His turn]

Fellow FChatters have recommended Waynesville [30 min west of Asheville] and Black Mtn [20 east of Asheville]. I have put these on my agenda for touring. Both seem like quaint towns with the required commercial base and main street. We have also thought about Boone/Blowing Rock area, but it is not near any larger cities like Asheville. It is a nice area though. Others have mentioned Highlands/Cashiers area, but that seems to be in the middle of nowhere and too far from either CLT or ATL airports.

Would also consider one of the lakes in the area, but they probably don't meet my elevation requirements for cooler temps. But maybe I am wrong about this.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Any input would be appreciated.

PS: Part of my motivation is to have a better place to drive my Fcars. Although weather is great here in FL the roads are boring.........

2. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Fellow FChatters have recommended Waynesville [30 min west of Asheville] and Black Mtn [20 east of Asheville]. I have put these on my agenda for touring. Both seem like quaint towns with the required commercial base and main street. We have also thought about Boone/Blowing Rock area, but it is not near any larger cities like Asheville. It is a nice area though. Others have mentioned Highlands/Cashiers area, but that seems to be in the middle of nowhere and too far from either CLT or ATL airports.

Waynesville - Charlotte, 2+ hours

Black Mtn - Charlotte, 2 hours

Blowing Rock - Winston-Salem, 1-1/2 hours

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Blowing Rock 28605

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Waynesville - Charlotte, 2+ hours

Black Mtn - Charlotte, 2 hours

Blowing Rock - Winston-Salem, 1-1/2 hours
    [/QUOTE]

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I had not thought of Winston-Salem as an alternative city. Will check it out.

much obliged

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Hey, I take exception to that! :)

You can get from one end of Winston Salem to the other in about 10 minutes -- when there is heavy traffic. What's not to love?

6. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Blowing Rock is also 2 hours from CLT Airport. ANd the drive down 321 is really pretty nice and will be 4 lane all the way in about two years. (They are 80% done!)

7. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don't think Waynesville is going to get you the elevation you want, if you're really serious about being over 3500'. Sam's Gap is the high point on I-26 between me and Waynesville, and I believe its 3300' or so. Wayneville's probably at least a grand lower than that. Maybe not even Blowing Rock - Dr. Stranglove, are you guys that high over there?

That being said, Asheville/Waynesville is plenty nice, even in the summer. My wife and I just bought a place in Asheville a few months ago, and between some open windows and maybe the ceiling fans creating a little breeze, we rarely if ever have to run the air conditioner. As well, the higher elevations can actually be too cool in the summer, especially at night. We built a cabin on Roan Mountain outside of Bakersville in Mitchell County back in '98, our place was around 5000'. And we we were building fires most nights, even in August, it would cool down that much after dark.

In any event, good luck on your search, this is a wonderful area of the country to be in.

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC

Thanks for the laugh at my faux pas..........hope I don't get "flamed" by Winston-Salem residents!!

ciao

9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    We are at about 4000, 4500ft.

10. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Cashiers is about 1.5 hours from the Asheville airport, and Lake Glenville 4 miles north of town is a beautiful lake at 3400 ft. Lake Glenville is the highest elevation lake east of the Mississippi. The water is clear and cool, and it is only about 35% developed around the shore. Their are also plenty of great view lots overlooking the lake and the mountains. It was 50 degrees on my deck when I got up this morning and we are looking forward to a high of 73 today.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Rbtrader,

I will take a look at Cashiers and Lake Glenville. The problem is that I don't want to make getting back and forth from NC to Naples an all day affair. Generally the areas I am looking at will be able to be accessed easily with a non-stop from RSW [Ft Myers] to CLT. The flight is about 1-1/2 hrs. Add in drive time at both ends and I think I can make the trek in about a 1/2 day. We once did the CLT connecting flight to Asheville......I could have driven it in less time than it took to change planes, wait on the CLT runway and fly to Asheville.

But I agree that from what I have heard from you and others Cashiers/Lake Glenville deserves a tour.

thx

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Robert,

What areas of Asheville do you recommend? Are there nice developments with larger lots in or near Asheville? I kindof have the higher elevations in mind with mountain views. I did not think Asheville had much elevation. But I am open to all suggestions. We have visited Asheville a few times during the Ferrari Cup Challenge event but were not looking at real estate.

13. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I do that trip about twice a year in the past. About 6 hours full trip is generous time. I did the whole thing once in 4!!

14. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Unless the damn road is closed just past Lenoir! :) Was driving to Boone from Charlotte last Tuesday, and a 2 hour trip turned into 3 because of the 321 closure and a detour on dirt roads suggest by some locals. :) I knew I should have gone 77/421!

15. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Yes, they close it for an hour or so for blasting on tuesdays and thursdays. Sorry you did not know that. (It's a pain and they have been doing it for close to three years now!)

16. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    Steve, I live in Linville Ridge CC, 3 miles from Banner Elk,12 to Boone,100 to Winston Salem, 105 to CLT,(1.50 drive time) Main floor at my home is 4635 ft ASL.Summer temps in the low to mid 70s, (rarely use the A/C) Great two lane back roads,and light traffic, (if you know where to go) Blue Ridge Pkwy & Viaduct about 3 miles, great road to cruise,slow 35/45 limit ,great vistas, lots of pull offs for photo opps. CLT airport is 108 miles via I85,321,I40, and 181 get you to the area. By the way 181 up the Ridge from Morganton is a great ride for about the last 14 miles!!!! There are many little known great back roads in the area. I bring my cars up every Summer for the same reasons that you mentioned. Naples roads are a bore, even the "Alley", what a snooze.By the way I call Mediterra Naples home during the Winter months. Hope this helps.W.P.

17. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Welcome to the forum Wayne!!! Get to BR much? I live there.

18. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I live in eastern NC (flatlands) but am in Blowing Rock at the moment. I was in Banner Elk earlier today at the Elk River development with its own 4600 runway.

Not sure the elevation but that'd be the ticket...door to door (I mean from one home to the other) via Naples muni airport would probably be 1:45-2:00.

Depending on how often you'd want to make the trip, chartering might be worth considering for that convenience.

19. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    Thanks for the welcome. I try to avoid BR too many tourista this time of year,and lousy parking, as I am sure you'll agree. I do get there quite often really. Try to avoid 321 to Hickory as much as possible, 181 to Morganton and I40 a better bet for me from up here in Linville.

20. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    #20 hyroller, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    It can be a very touchy approach, no ILS I belive. I also understand that its members only, its a private strip. Morganton Airport is a better bet.

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My parents spend their winters in Mediterra too, and summers in St. Louis.

Mediterra is an incredible place!

22. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My place is by Beaver Lake, which is about 5-10 mins from Pack Square and downtown Asheville. If you want higher elevations and big lots or acreage, you won't find it by me. Or really anywhere in Asheville, candidly. IMHO, Asheville is for people that want something going on, all the time. It has great restaurants, good clubs if you like to get out, its a bit of a cosmopolitan mecca in the mountains is the best way I can describe it. I think for what you're looking for you, which sounds like some seclusion, a lot of trees and wilderness, and much cooler temps, you need to get out a little, as you can see from some of the posts on this thread. You can't go wrong with Blowing Rock, for sure, Cashiers is for darn sure beautiful, Linville will knock your socks off. About the only place I can think of around Asheville that might fit your bill is that new golf community that Tiger Woods is building. Can't for the life of me right now remember the name, nor do I know how big the lots are, but I'm sure others will chime in if they know, or its Googleable. The silver lining though, as you can see, is that you have a LOT to choose from around here. If I can help at all, let me know. Lastly, I agree with your thoughts about flying from CLT to Asheville. Not even worth debating, it is NOT worth the trouble.

23. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    It is members only but that's an amenity that'd make me consider membership :)

As for the approach, I'm sure it is. Like a lot of these mountain airfields you almost have to divebomb the landing haha. That reminds me, a plane went down en route to Murphy this weekend.

24. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I believe the course that Tiger is designing and/or endorsing is at The Cliffs. Could be wrong.

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Wayne,

Thanks for the input. The Banner Elk/Boone/Blowing Rock areas are on my list to consider. I have some knowledge of Linville Ridge. Is that not a Lutgert family development?
    Pretty area as we have visited a few times. I live in Old Naples one back from the beach between 5th Ave and 3rd St districts. Love it here, but want to have a summer home for cool weather and hot driving. Also being a transplanted Yankee I miss the October colors. And Christmas is a little odd here with palm trees. But u sure can't beat the November to May weather here........but I am a bit off topic.

My goal is to take a trip focusing on desired areas... So far I plan on seeing your area, Waynesville, Black Mtn, Cashiers and Asheville. Trying to get a feel for the right kind of town. We like small towns with some quaint shopping and requisite dining. Don't want an hour drive to secure necessities. We keep thinking that being within a 45 minute drive to a city might be a preference. That is why we keep looking around the Asheville area. But if the town and surrounds is compelling enough we might drop the city proximity.

What made u pick Linville? Did you know others that own there? Did you build or buy? At this point I keep thinking building because of our specific criteria.....[think 4+ car garage]