RIP John "yellowenzo123" | Page 6 | FerrariChat

RIP John "yellowenzo123"

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Stbernard, Jul 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I would be very interested in this as well. I'm sure flowers will be appreciated, but perhaps we can get organized and do something with a more lasting impact?

P.S. please consider taking the debate over medications and/or discussions over the source of his money to another thread. Just my $0.02 thanks.

2. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    I've heard nothing but good things about John. All the stories in this thread just show that he was a class act. May he rest in peace.

BTW, that F40 story is just priceless.

3. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Being a Car-Parazzi member, he did so much for that site. I never had a chance to meet him in person, although he showed me that all supercar owners weren't snobby rich people. RIP John, thanks for showing me that exotic owners could be cool down to earth people.

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #129 TestShoot, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    My dad was a cargo theft cop in the Port of LA for a good 15 years. One day the Terminal Island area adjacent to the then closing Long Beach Naval yard opened up. "Big Willie" opened up the Brotherhood Raceway, a 1/8th mile, totally uneven little drag strip that anything could run at on that plot of land. One day around maybe 1992 or 93 I was sitting at home when my dad mentioned a kid bringing a Ferrari to the track and becoming a regular, so I went to check it out one day. I ended up at the staging area and saw an F40 just sitting there, I was waiting for my friend Craig to roll up his stang.

John was being nagged by his girlfriend because he never took her for a ride, so he yelled over to me, "are you gonna just look or you wanna go?" and I hopped on in for a quick 1/8th mile blast. It all happened so fast we never exchanged info and I never saw him again.

Years later John and I are sitting back relaxing at the hotel talking about the legend that he had become owning an F40 at 18, I mentioned that some kid I got in the car with at Terminal Island was also 18 so it was not that rare. He then told me that it was him, and even remembered my father's first name. He added "you SOB!!! I broke up with my girlfriend because I took you for a ride and not her" we laughed well in to the night.

Then I told him I went back and never saw him there again. We both knew Craig very well, who had a tragic story of his mother and father as well, and then John and I both remember an old salt turned racer called "schoolteacher" and we exchanged stories well in to the night.

5. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Too young man.. Too young...RIP John

JJ

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's a great story and shows just how small of a world we live in. John sounds like someone who simply loved life and the people that entered his.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

brought a smile to my face...great story!!!

best,

pcb

8. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan

My friend who grew up with John, mentioned that he was there with John at the Ferrari dealership when buying the F40.
    Pulled up in a Viper.....in the rain....with sandals......flings a penny at the salesman......tells the salesguy "I'll be back with the rest".
    What a crazy story to have in high school. LOL

9. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Imagine rolling up to HS in a F40, I bet the look on the other kids faces was priceless.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    And that's a true story. He will be missed!!

11. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome write-up. Its great to hear you had so many memories with John. I have been a member of Car-Parazzi since 2006 or 2007, I loved seeing the videos of John taking Dash, Mike, and Spyder for rides in the Enzo. He really did touch those kids lives. Believe it or not, John eventually registered on Car-Parazzi under the name "EVLENZO". We all were starstruck that an actual supercar-owner was a member and not just another teenager. Such an incredible man that touched so many people. RIP John.

Chris

12. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
  13. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I never knew John but enjoyed reading all these posts about his life. Yes it was way too young to go, but take some comfort that he LIVED more than most people ever will. To me, it's another reminder that life is short, don't wait until tomorrow to buy that Ferrari! And certainly don't let it sit in the garage, get out there and DRIVE.

RIP

14. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That shoudl be a testament to all Ferrari owners. Couldnt have been put any better.

Chris

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  16. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Prophetic. RIP.

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  18. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #143 AJ, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think John liked the DTM more than the Enzo :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LMAO!

20. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yes he was. I am quite saddened by this news, but am glad that John did live his life the way he wanted, and was very happy even till the end. You can't ask for anything more right?

Glad to see your still doing well Eric. I've been wondering about you.

+1

He has a helicopter maintenance facility not far from me. I wanted to rent a chopper from him one of these days for something crazy, but it never happened. He will be missed.

21. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    TestShoot,

Sorry to hear the loss of your friend. I like the new signature, he simply lived live to the fullest.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    He daily drove the DTM and definately liked it more than the Enzo. I think it was faster too. The Enzo was more problematic.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Was the race fuel a poster mentioned being put into his Bentley's trunk for the DTM?

24. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

That's the pic I was trying to find. Thanks.

RMX

25. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    He had all sorts of fuel drums for his cars. The old hotrods, the DTM, and other odd toys.