The rebuild of #40557 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The rebuild of #40557

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SlickMurphy, Nov 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, yes there is baby! Way to go. Since that car is headed for Connecticut, I can't wait to hear it live!

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    sound better than straight pipes?

3. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Good job, outstanding!

Do you have some of those custom center sections left........

Jan

4. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    #79 SlickMurphy, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ferrari 400iO, the off road option :D

I believe the system is adjustible but I don't have any experience doing so with this conversion. Also, I noticed some intake ducting is missing in the engine bay. Is this part of the finishing touches still to come or have you left them off intentionally?

Regards,

Art S.

6. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Art,

The hoses are one of the few remaining items that need to be installed.

David

7. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great, Dave! Is it with you in CT now and, if so, are you planning on taking it up to Hartford next weekend for the Concorso?

8. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    It is still up at Gran Turismo at the moment. I wanted them to put 500 miles on her and re-check, re-tighten, check again and then dump all the fluids, change and deliver.

D

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    regarding the ride height, we had verified ages ago the rear shocks are the correct ones, so we just have to adjust them...i guess...anyone ?

regarding the cabin intake hose, we sourced some beautiful vintage looking aviation stuff that we thought was perfect...didn't fit...anyone ?

i do have a selection of decent, used original cabin air hoses, so David is fine...but i've got 3 other 365/400/400i projects on the go...

there is never, and i mean never, a dull moment doing this...every minute that passes brings a new challenge...which in itself gets boring !

10. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, okay. What threw me off was the lack of snow on the ground! Just kidding! The hottest weekend that I have ever experienced was at a summer wedding up in cottage country a couple hours north of Toronto.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

Check with Tom Yang's gang on the hoses - I think they found a really good inexpensive modern solution.

By the way, what do you charge for putting 500 miles on a customer's car :D :D ;)

Regards,

Art S.

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I don't know about Brett, but i don't charge anything ;):D

13. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i charge the full purchase price of the car...; )

thanks for the lead on the hoses !

14. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    It is a sad day for me. Due to unforseen economic difficulties I have cancelled the purchase of this car. Over the last nine months no expense and no time was spared to bring this car back to outstanding condition. Brett has worked tirelessly and meticulously to insure that this car was rock solid. Brett was very understanding of my current situation and for that I owe him a debt of gratitude. If someone is looking for a spectacular series 1, 5 speed, consider this your luckiest day. Please feel free to IM me or Brett with any questions you may have.

With Regret,

David

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Hey D,
    thanks for the kind words.
    it was unfortunate that we were unable to take the final step of exportaton/importation, as the car is finished and 1000km road testing complete.
    you were however, a perfect gentleman throughout and very generous as we realized that we coudn't complete this transaction.
    it was fun and i look forward to working with you again in the future.

brett

16. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    What a tremendous effort from both owner and mechanic hat comes off to both, if I won the lottery I would buy the car and give it deservedely back to you! In any case
    Well done on a great car.
    Regards
    Alastair

17. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Is this car still for sale and how much are you asking for it if available??

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #93 brettski, Oct 26, 2009
    yup, for the moment she's still available...
    but i am working a deal that involves taking an '82 Series 1 400i 5-speed on trade for 'her'.
    so i need to see if that is 'firming up' first.

the car i would be taking on trade has great compression but needs a timing chain...
    so we'll do everything in the front cover, w/pump, all new clutch and a valve adjustment.

here's a pic of #40557 with new Koni rear self-levellers...and we installed new fuel pumps.
    oh, we also re-adjusted the valves after about 700km and installed a gear reduction starter.

call me if you'd like to discuss it further, as i don't discuss pricing over the internet.

brett, 705-435-1990
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ytosun

ytosun Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Great job brett, thanks for the detailed fotoshoot. Only thing missing is a youtube link ;-) would be great to hear that exhaust note.

20. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Hey F dudes :
    Our man Brett in Allistion is doing the motor on my Espada. I was up on Saturday to drop off a part to him and my son and I had some time to kill so we asked Brett to take us out in this particular 400 . I happen to love 400s and if I didnt opt for this Espada I would buy this very car! After looking at the photos of whats done the proof is in the drive and I for one can tell you this thing hauls ass. Not one squeek , not one rattle just the most glorious V12 noice thru those rebuilt Ansas no crappy muted stainless here!!. We found some twisty roads west of Alliston so any one who lives there that thought they saw a low flying F111 stealth .... that was us! I will not however divulge our speed ,lets just say sufficient. And we still had room for one more enthusiast. I dont understand why these cars are where they are in terms of price ? Maybe because of what it takes to get one to the likes this one .
    If I had a bigger garage and a bigger wallet this black beauty would be next to my lambo.

G
    by the way this is not a paid endorsment :)

21. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I visited Gran Turismo the other day and checked out the 400i. What a fantastic machine.

Brett permitted me to videotape the shop and then he asked if I had time for a drive in the country (we were experiencing a January thaw and all the roads were dry and salt free)...i really resisted, but he forced me j/k

Brett drove a 308 GTSi and I drove the 400i :)

The car is one magnificent machine...wonderful sounds that quietly burble at idle and turn into a menacing growl on throttle...WOW!

Driving a 400i with a stick is far different than driving the auto IMO...a very slick tranny that shifts smoothly and accurately...the gear spacing seems dead on perfect.

And PULL...like a flipping drag racer, solid and constant throughout the rev band...I am not easily impressed... my own favorite car is a 825 pound vintage Formula car (street legal)with 120hp and handles on rails and my daily is a WRX....but this 400i really impressed me... big time... did not feel large or heavy at all...appearances are definately deceiving.

Here is some of the footage I took that day, some in the shop, some on the road...if you watch the whole thing you will see the 400i (black) and hear her... sweeet!

..too bad I had an elcheapo camera with mono sound and no tripod (shaky)... and I have no editing skills whatsoever, so what you see is totally unedited raw footage.

turn up the sound and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43tEbRfobLk

beev

22. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #97 alastairhouston, Jan 28, 2010
  23. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
  24. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    got to love the peel out!! lol!! great video, and bretts shop looks amazing!

25. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice video and a nice report on the thrill of driving these cars. What shift points were you using in the 400i? Seems as though you were using pretty low (ca. 5 K, or am I mistaken?) shift points for some reason.

Anyway, a great way to see and hear the 400i 5 speed while my own car rests in the garage during the past several weeks of snow and salt on the roads here in CT.