Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree and also guys buying rides in Grand Am and World Challenge telling family and friends they are pros. At least the majority of the Challenge drivers aren't telling everyone they are pros.

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I think that's how it works, Rob. Ride purchased for a few thousand = "I'm a pro!"

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    No, they're not pros. Most of them won't be, either. In fact, most have some pretty important day jobs. However, there are a few that can (and do) jump up and fewer still who can make a living from it. But, it's a big commitment in a lot of ways that most aren't interested in making at their age and status. That's not their goal. Don't be confused. The intent of the Challenge isn't to be a "stepping stone" series. But to say that all drivers in the Challenge series aren't talented isn't accurate. With more dedication, commitment and effort, some could possibly have gone on to careers as drivers.

But, get real, guys. You're not going to see a 15-year-old phenom in the Challenge. NOT going to happen. Most of these guys are successful businessmen who run or own things. They're not interested in being a factory driver, no matter how "cool" it would be. They probably don't even care what you think. But, that said, just because they don't have a laser-like focus on being the next Lewis Hamilton doesn't mean they lack talent.

CW

4. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm friends with a mechanic that works for a Top Fuel drag team. The team races part time and their budget is 2.5 million per season. He said the top guys are spending a million per month. Engines are $50K each and they usually blow 1 or 2 per weekend.

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

But do you think that guys who have been running FC for fifteen years should have learned enough to actually win a race once in a while?

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Maybe, but the back markers may always be back markers. In 15 years, if they haven't moved up the grid, it's clear they're about as high as they're going to go. But, they're having a good time, keeping their dealer in the black and buying lots of body parts from SpA. They enjoy it, plain and simple. If they never win a race, they're still enjoying it, I suppose. And, that's why they keep coming back. To some, it's their own personal challenge. Can I improve myself? Some measure it in seconds. Others in 10ths. Others in 100ths. And, no one is telling them (or going to tell them) not to come back unless they're dangerous on track. Yes, there are those who "embellish". But, the paddock knows what's what.

CW

7. stewf

stewf Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    Lewisville/N. Cali
    Full Name:
    Stew F
  8. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Wow a major debate ensues - I'm not really sure why this FC debate always seems to go this way. Scott Tucker is a cool guy and if you know him a really nice guy also and Rob's correct he does have a pretty much unlimited budget for racing - I certainly have paddock jealousy every time I see the gear he has!

A number of the guys on this thread have been there and done that and run in FC. I spent a bunch of time trying to decide what to run, I've been an on and off track rat for a bunch of years, but spent most of the last 10 running a company and starting a family, endless weekends at Lime Rock and NHIS running Spec Miata or some such was not a priority choice I was going to make personally during that time. But on selling my company I could consider burning a pile of cash and going FC racing. You get awesome instruction, you race on great tracks including last year racing in front of 100K plus people at Montreal, is it expensive? Sure. Was it awesome? Again for me yes.

It also gave me personally an easy way to run Daytona. Did I call myself a pro? No. Did I spin on National TV? Yes :) BUT we did finish when a bunch of much more celebrated names did not and we raised 80K for children's hospital in Boston.

If you have the money you can go and run Grand-Am for the same budget and get spanked by young dedicated race car pros every weekend, in FC you can race against a bunch of guys who are just as competitive in life as you but aren't pros. There is a lot to be said for the camaraderie of this situation and the fun of racing Ferraris with them. FC also allowed me to famously have a dinner with a bunch of guys and realize I was the only guy at the table who didn't have his own plane.

Working on next opportunity to allow ownership of one of those, although if you want to talk about ways of making a small fortune out of a large fortune a jet is a MUCH more effective way of doing that than racing in FC.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. PhaseDance

PhaseDance Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 24, 2008
    ohio and manhatan
    srsly dude there are times i think u would playa hate on the top drivers of the world chapmpion "FXX" series. like they arent pros. HALLO! ever heard of MICHEAL SCHUMACHER???? in adition to his acomplsihements on formula "ONE" he is one of the best fxx drivers.

now as it hapens my favorite driver is pro. perhaps u have heard of him. mark white??? he was teemed with a struggling pro who later became randy post. who as u know is a true "GENTLEMAN DRIVER". and now we quoat from his website.

"In 2008 Mark was signed by APR Motorsport, teaming up with multiple sports car championship winner, Randy Pobst. Mark and Randy are campaigning the #181 VW GTI in the ST class of the KONI Challenge Series. Mark continues to excel, delivering two top ten results, punctuated by six top 10 qualifying efforts (four of which were top five) and standing at the head of the time sheets with fast laps at Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen."

tihs is correct. so as u can see, he is a true pro. who is paid to race. unlike u. who are paid quite little. and race a honda besids.

now let us continue.

"2009 sees Mark returning to the ST class of the Grand Am KONI Challenge Series. He has been signed for the full season by Freedom Autosport to pilot the bright green #147 Mazda MX5. He will be fighting for the championship with two talented co-drivers, Chistian Maloof and Sarah Cattaneo."

SIGNED by freedom autosport. which always means paid. to race. when LE BRON "JAMES" was signed by the CAVALIERS he did not pay to play. he was paid. thus "PRO".

i will now discuss the ferarri challenge.

this man "Rob Lay" talks about ferarri challenge. and he shows a "LAP TIME". that is slower than the ferarri chalenge 360. i am not convinced. was the 360 so much better than the 355? no, it was only five better. so maybe "rob lay" should spend more time reading "innar speed secrets". it is. a book ive read. many times. maybe with more "CROSS CRAWLS" he would go faster and understand what it means to be a ferarri challenge winner. or by saying certain words. during strentgh exrecises. makes u stronger.

this is waht i know.

a) any winner of ferarri callenge could beat b-mak. why. simple. fc cars are fast. b-maks honda. not so much.

b) how the f do u nock a whole nose of a daytona proptyope. srsly. that makes me never want to race one and instead choase the "LMP2" class which is direct compettotion.

c) scca nationals are a joke. HELLO IT HAPAENS IN A PARKING LOT! i personaly attended "TOPEKA" and i was like lol wtf i cant get out of 2nd gear here. so to say that john heinyric could beat chalenge drivers. NOT IF FC USES 3RD GEAR!

d) i have made arangemtns to be "SIGNED" by a top koni chalegne team. i do not know how much i will be paid. i have to show up. and they say the check should be there before i drive. so im expecting ot be paid early. prolly use this money for a hans device actualy if i have time to go to cdoc before teh race.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You should listen to your mother.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well said... and Dan is a great guy if you ever have the pleasure to meet him. He also raised money for a good cause while racing (insert happy checkered flag notation here)

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Wanna split one?

CW

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Would you say Scott's 5 year full time commitment to racing Ferrari Challenge, SCCA, Porsche Cup, and Grand Am pro is considered dedication? For someone racing or testing almost every weekend for 5 years in various series with a big budget team and private coaching resources how would you say his talent is? How fast has he learned and is he there yet?

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Don't know him, so I can't say. I've been out of the Challenge for years now. Sounds like he's put his dues in, so he's probably a solid driver. Is anyone interested in him? What are his aspirations? But, you know, as time passes and we age, there are always young guns coming up, and there are only so many seats available.

All I can say is that the some of the drivers I raced against had talent. To go further, they needed development. However, they had other time commitments (such as families and businesses). And, by the time they got to the Challenge, they weren't exactly spring chickens, either. So, could some of these drivers been professionals had they started racing earlier? Very possibly. I'm not saying they would have been in F1. But, they could possibly have made a living from the sport.

CW

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FXX? 7 digit cars? Is there really a door to door FXX racing series? I thought it was part of Ferrari's Client Division that lets owners take old F1 cars out for lapping sessions. Like a track day. More power to them if they allow door to door racing and not the 13/13ths crap. Top level pro drivers aren't racing FXX unless they are instructing or goofing off, for that budget any driver would go to the pinnacle of road racing... Le Mans.

Let me give you another quote from Mark Whites racing bio...

"Mark also began campaigning a Sports Racer resulting in an impressive combined record of 21 wins in SCCA, PCA and NASA".

So what is the point you are trying to make? Oh yes, you are confirming what b-mak and I said about the quality of drivers that club race in SCCA, PCA, and NASA. He learned his craft there and is now a paid driver. Thank you for making the point!

What in the heck are you talking about? You make no sense. Are you so dumb that you didn't figure out I was comparing Scott's 360 Challenge to my 355 Challenge times on the same track? You mean you were comparing his 360 Challenge to my Touring 3 175 HP Mazda RX8 in the same race? idiot. that said, don't you think a 360 Challenge should be more than 5 seconds faster than a MAZDA on a HP track?

I would hope the last place FC driver could beat the best Spec Miata. How would the best Spec Miata drivers do with a few days track time in a FC?

again, are you such an idiot you don't know the difference between SCCA Solo Nationals and the SCCA Runoffs? The street lights have come on, time to go back to mommy.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Every NASA or SCCA weekend I see young guys and girls that barely have a car and enough funding to run an old motor and tires. They are FAST first time out and if they get a little support to fine tune their driving and get an equal car they can be at the front.

I don't think I've ever seen any top driver not fast from the start and requiring years to even see the front runners. Usually the best of the best are already working on tenths after the first few races. Now what takes a little more time is the "spin" phase where the driver is pushing the limits and often goes beyond them. Their best laps are within tenths of the top laps, but it takes a little more time to consistently pull off fast laps the entire session within tenths.

Another indicator of a fast driver is how quick they can learn a new track. I've seen the best without any coaching or sim work get down within a second by the 3-4th lap of somewhere they've never been. Almost anyone can ride right seat of a pro driver and get the lines, braking points, and comfort level of side loading beat into them.

Let me make it clear I don't think I'm anywhere close to this class of driver, I think Scott and Mark are much better drivers than me. I'm just trying to get some reality in here what the Ferrari Challenge is what fast drivers really are, I don't think some of you truly know.

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    When I speak with ex-pros like Brian Redman, Vic Elford and Tommy Byrne (for example), they're even more in the know than you, me or most likely anyone on this forum about skills. I trust their comments, as they have no reason to be anything but honest. I've seen fast drivers, and I've driven against fast drivers. There are those who don't need much in terms of development, and they may be the future of the sport. But, the sport isn't made up only of superstars. Generally, I agree, though, that if you've got it, you've got it. And, if you haven't, in some cases, no matter how much instruction, effort and money is poured into it, it's not to be found. There are those, though, in the middle that have the basics and can get significantly faster with enough hard work. That said, I doubt they're going to be on anyone's list of paid drivers. Probably ever.

CW

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Rubber side down everyone!

19. PhaseDance

PhaseDance Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 24, 2008
    ohio and manhatan
    quite 2 the contrarry. lemans is actaully for $500 cars and is not a pinacle. even b-mak has won this race acordign to his websight, altho i hear it was another driver who took teh lead and nevar relinqiushed it. so yes. the fxx could win lemans. even if u consider the flat rock oval race.

this is wut i think hapened. i think he felt bad. that he was beating u so soundly. and he was on the radio to his pit crew. and they said. "p1! p1! u are beating rob lay. go to fuel map 3. now pick up rubber in the victroy lap." meanwhile ur pits crew was "rob! there is no chance! the pace of the 360 is too strong for u! wut hapaned when we all chiped in to buy u innar speed sectrets? did you not read all of it, even the parts wear it is obvious ronn langofrod is writing????" but as marc antony said before he maryed j-lo, it is no sin for a roman to beat a roman. by wich i mean ferarri.

he could not win. because he is a not a verray parfit gentalman.

im sorry that i dont comunicate quite as well as i cuold. u see. all my life. i have been racing. 1st on teh streets. wear i dominated. then i went legit thx to the police who recogniezed my talent. now. i am focused on "KONI CHALANGE". and this is wut will hapan:

mark white: hear we are at grand-am races.

me: yes. finaly.

mark white: it's u?

me: yes.

mark white: are u ready to compeat at the highest leval?

me: there is still 1 higher.

mark white: daytona prototype?

me: no that is for old men who r bein short-roaped by pro drivars.

mark white: lmp1?

me: lol not with deisel equivalance.

mark white: then u must mean ferarri challange.

me: yes. now if u will excuse me. its time to pick up my check.

mark white: u are the best

me: yes.

THE END

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    PhaseDance, well nevermind... everyone already knows.

21. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Rob, he is obviously clowning you. No one could be that stupid.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  23. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    wow, i guess einstein was right.

24. PhaseDance

PhaseDance Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 24, 2008
    ohio and manhatan
    yes. in that post i donimated b-mak for the first of many times. truely he is my internets opponent. fundamentaly i support several drivers with defense on forums:

* casey putsch, america's greatest f1 prospect since micheal andreti

* randy post, autocroser and raceing driver of some reknown

* mark white, pro driver and winner of the camel imsa lights over boby rahal

* ross bentlay, who drove with craig t nelson and whom i have perosnaly met. he said to me. how is it u remember all my books. i was modesst. i said becuase they are 100 percent true and they made me a chapmion. then he said. i nevar had a compettive car. and i said. this is true. still. u drove well. on used tires.

* aron povoledo. of all i think hes the best. u have not herd of him mayb. its because u dont follow. the koni "CHALAENGE". he is a pole winnar. one time. he said. if this keeps up. im closing theis trackday. and i was like. hell yeah.

so there u have it. now some ask me. wut races have u won. and i always say. its not how you stand by ur car. its how u race it. so dont b fooled. i am not an undercover cop. this is real as it gets. but i have won some of folowing.

* canonbal run

* 24 hereurs of lemans in detoit.

* many nassa races. oh. so many.

* autocrosing.

* streat racing.

* drag raceing in a bracket.

* hpde. including the toughest. hpde "THREE"

i have teached many a driver. i sit in the car. i say. okay. lets start by reading ross bentlay. and they say wtf this track is croewded. and i say just point to left while we read. because. without innar speed secertes. u cant win this hpde.

thx for ur confidence in my poasting.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jack Jack Jack