Fiorano Handling Package (F355) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fiorano Handling Package (F355)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Sep 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Front is going from 22->24 mm and rear from 17->19 mm

2. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I know the guy that owns my old car with FHP. So one way of finding out for sure would be to dig into it and verify all the numbers on that one.

3. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    the fiorano handle package , some of the parts are from the challenge car the rack is from the challenge car and the roll sway bars come from the challenge car so the parts are from the challenge car. ferrari did not make three racks or three different sized roll sway bars. So the parts from the challenge cars are the parts used on the fiorano package.

4. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Anyone know if the chock ECU from a FHP car can be used in a standard car? What would be the difference? Are the chocks the same and is it just the characteristics of the ECU that differs?

SHOCK ABSORBER CONTROL STATION
    Part No. 175948 Fiorano Shock E.C.U
    Part No. 157497 Standard part

5. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #30 johan6504, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been able to determine that the chocks on a FHP car have the same part number as a standard car, so I assume that they are indeed the same. If the data of ECU can’t be found, can anyone figure out a way to test the ECU. The characteristics of the standard ECU can be found in the workshop manual and here is a picture of it. Would be interesting to know what the difference would be…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    So has anyone installed new larger sway bars yet :)?

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Funny you're asking. I actually ordered a set of CH bars today. Will probably get them in a week or two. But I am not sure when I will be ablle to test them, still snow and ice outside the window...

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well I will be happy to test them for you ............ :D!!!

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am sure you would :D
    But spring isnt that far away and I already know what difference it will make. My old car had the fiorano HP and I am expecting it to behave in pretty much the same way....

10. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    That is interesting news....I was told the front bar was NLA and the factory CH bushings for front and rear bars were also NLA.

Who are u getting these parts from if u don't mind sharing.

11. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #36 johan6504, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    I have ordered the bars from http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp and from what I can see they are still available.
    The bushings might be NLA since these are labeled with “To Order Contact Us For a Price” but I went with bushings from energy suspension anyway. Much cheeper and they make a perfect fit as far as I can tell.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/swaybbct.html
    Bushing number for front bar: 9.5109

12. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    johan6504,

When you do your upgrade to the Fiorano Sway Bars, measure the existing front & rear diameters and then the new front and rear's share the info if possible. Can't wait to here your feed back on how they perform.

Ciao,

SRR

13. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hi
    I have already measured the old bars and they are 17 mm in rear and 22 mm in front. The CH bars are 19 mm in rear and 24 mm in front, I know because I measure on my old car. About the performance it is a difference but I wouldn’t say it is huge, definitely noticeable when pushing the car though and the feel of my old car was more neutral when cornering.

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for the info....the front bars were not available for some time and now they are, kinda interesting.....rear bars have always beeen available.

15. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    We will just have to wait and see if I get any then ;-)

16. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I may order a set of the bushings u are going to use just to see the difference between them and the factory delrin bushings as far as handling goes....I'll let u know when and if I get this car up and running..lol

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Key word is ""IF""... Time to buy a few plane tickets Vern....Bruce will never get this thing back together on his own!

He has all together too many lug bolts....now at capacity counting fingers and toes, time to downsize. Due time to screw up his attention span and focus once again....

18. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    "IF"???????????? I'm beginning to think that word should be change to "NEVER"....no joking

Thanks Dave for telling me that I have to many lugbolts...even though I agree, your new project is just dumping more stuff on an already full plate..lol However 4 big nuts are a whole lot better than 20 bolts....

Guess for now I need to focus on the big 4 right?????

19. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Well since were off topic anyway I'll ask the question. Bruce I have lost track, what 355 are you working on? Thought you had 355 spider or do you have a CH?

20. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

A spider CH which will soon have some LM upgrades....other than that it's stock...lol

21. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #46 johan6504, Mar 4, 2009
    Got the new front sway bar today :)
    Had to be ordered from the factory, but here is the proof that they are still available, PN 176031. Will probably try to get them installed tonight after the family has gone to bed.... Cant wait to take the car for a spin again after a long and cold winter...

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Great news!!! Can't always believe what you hear.....enjoy!!

23. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have had some time to play with my new sway bar(s) and tires lately and have finally come to a setup that I like.

The first thing I did was trying to find the right tire pressure for my new Pirelli P Zero tires. These tires are the new tire that comes on the 599 and Gallardo. It took some time but I am now on 2.1 bar in front and 2.2 bar at the rear and it seems to work fine for now. I was really surprised how much the pressure change affected the overall feeling of the car and glad I started in this end.

After this I changed to the stiffer front bar as recommended by experienced 355 drivers and took the car for a drive. The effect of the stiffer front resulted in less roll and quicker turn in but I think I could feel a slightly more nervous rear. I played with the tire pressure a bit but it more or less med it worse rather than better. I was expecting more than this from the 2 mm larger sway bar…

Last week I got in contact with a guy who has been racing his 355 Challenge car for the last six years and he had a spare rear sway bar that he was willing to sell me. The price was right so I decided to try this out. The first thing I was a little worried about was how to get it in the car but it turned out to be quite easy after all. I documented it in a quick list in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226547

After putting this sway bar in the car I wasn’t really expecting any bigger changes as the front bar didn’t do that much after all. But I was really in for a really big surprise as it turned out to change the car completely! It really put the car back on track so to speak and the nervous rear end when doing high speed corners and breaking heavy from really high speeds were all gone! I can now attack corner with the confidence I want and I can brake late knowing the rear won’t do funny things.

So a summary for anyone who wants to get more out of your 355:

Tires! Get good tires and spend time trying to find the right pressure to suite your driving style.

Make sure to get correct wheel alignment, haven’t really mentioned it here but I did a lot of fiddling around with that last year and found a good set up.

If you decide to go with Challenge sway bars -- go for both, made the world for my car. I know that far more experienced racing drivers say different but I would never go back to only stiffer sway bar in front…

What is next?

Well I think the 10 year old dampers could do with some attention. I will probably have a talk with a Bilstein service here in Sweden who can help me refurbish my damper and hopefully get them to play better with my H&R springs. I think I could go with Challenge spec or more likely find a set up that I choose myself. Will also have a talk with my friend who works for Ford/Volvo in chassis development here in Gothenburg and see what he has to say about damper specs…

And then there is the steering, not sure what to do there, maybe try mounting the steering rack with stiffer bushings…

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #49 johan6504, Apr 17, 2009
    Got my new drop links put together and installed today. Tried to find some one who made these but ended up making them myslef. Not sure if they will improve anything besides making it posible to cornerweight the car and adjust the sway bars, think they look nice though ;-)

25. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Nice work.....where did you get link parts? Link ends appear to have a rubber seal? Is it just a spherical bearing that you can re-lube?