Ferrari to redesign their 2009 F1 car @ 20 million euros? | FerrariChat

Ferrari to redesign their 2009 F1 car @ 20 million euros?

Discussion in 'F1' started by aquapuss, Apr 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    According to German TZ magazine. The Ferrari employee quoted said that a redesign is necessary to incorporate a diffuser similar to the Brawn one. The car should be ready on May 10 for the Spanish GP.

Did not find the original article yet but this is from Finnish MTV3 site that is mainly a news site and not gossip.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2009/04/849813

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

$20MM? All the work is done in house. A little OT but that's it.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    20 million Euros? No way. That would make the cost of developing a car for each year reach the billions. I also doubt it will take that long for the {former} top three teams to incorporate the new specs.

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    It certainly is possible. Take a look at the salaries of the individuals and add that in. Then take the amount of time spent in the wind tunnel(s) and calculate out what that cost you per hour. Then are the guys running the tunnels hourly or salary? If hourly, any hourly workers involved really, calculate in their pay and I'm sure there's LOTS of overtime involved. Then the guys in the mold shop. Are they hourly? Union? Get extra compensation for their overtime? Add that in. Also bill in the cost of the molds. Does the rear gearbox need to be redesigned? I believe it does as it makes the top part of the diffuser. So add in the salaries, hourly wages, overtime for that design department as well. Then also the cost of manufacturing the thing. Also the cost of manufacturing the diffuser and new body parts. Salary, hourly wages, overtime for the laminators, autoclave technicians. Oh, I forgot the guys running the computer simulations before it even goes into the wind tunnel. You know the drill, add it all up. Then you've also got the smaller costs, like buying the guys dinner that are burning the midnight oil and stuff like that.

Any business can burn through cash if it's not careful. It doesn't take much for the costs to creep up if you're not careful. Yea, that's a lot of money but there are a lot of highly paid individuals involved in designing something like this. That’s where the real cost come from.

5. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alonso would seem to agree with you. He makes the point that it isn't just a diffuser redesign that's needed. It's practically the whole car. Very expensive!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74118

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Exactly.

This is the reason for the angst amongst the teams... it's not just the diffuser that bolts on, it's basically the whole bottom chassis that needs remade.

I am familiar with how those parts are made, and it is VERY expensive and time consuming.

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    no doubt mclaren will be doing this also very soon

8. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Didn't the Scuderia spend upwards of 20 million dollars to test and add parts to the ferrari for the final race, only to have Schumi stall at the grid while Mika ran away? It's certainly possible.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IMO the 20 mil is an inflated figure designed to sway the powers that be in the FIA when they (re)consider the diffuser issue.
    It will mean a major redesign to incorporate the new diffuser but won't cost that much.

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And, if that's true, as I mentioned elsewhere it could open up the "new crash test required" scenario - And that's not cheap.....

Cheers,
    Ian

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not to blow my trumpet but:
    But I got in a conflab! with some that's appears to know better...:rolleyes:

12. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Both Keke and JJ opined during the GP broadcast that incorporating a diffuser will require a substantial redesign of the car. They should know something about the topic, Keke being an educated automotive engineer IIRC.

13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Doesn't anybody do a little simple math before spreading stuff like this?

April 1st to May 10 is 40 days.

20 million euro is about 26 million US$

SO FIGURE IT OUT--26 million/40 days is $650,000 per day, every day. That is $27,000 per hour 24 hours a day.

Now I have worked for the F1 boys in my past as a designer--and I can assure you we never spent anything like the numbers you are talking about.

The cost to redo the car to "match" the diffuser design on the Brawn will be in the order of a million dollars-maybe-at the way outside! The talk about redoing the whole car is wrong. Think about it-if the car is going to be redesigned, patterns made, tooling made, parts made, car assembly and tested in 40 days we are not talking about "a whole new bottom to the car or a new redesign". No way. You don't have the time.

Look at time line:

1 week to design new diffuser concept and parts.

1 week to make tunnel parts and test parts.

Assuming parts work another week to make patterns and tooling. (You could gain some time by making full scale pattern work while doing tunnel testing-but risky)

1 week to make parts and assemble.

2-3 days for fit and track testing

So about 1 month response time for a new diffuser.

You can't do a new gearbox design and casting in one month-not going to happen.

So basically bodywork stuff.

So a rear diffuser is about $25 to 40K per part
    Center floor will stay as is (rules)
    Engine cover is about $10-15K
    Engine Side covers are about $4 k
    So what--say at most $70K in parts-then tooling and patterns-Worst case double it. So $150K

Now tunnel bits and testing. One week testing 20 hours a day at $2500/hour is $350,000 -which is way high-but leave it.

Engineering: 1 week for 10 guys at $100/hour overhead rates is about $60k

Add in another $100k for misc crap and you have at worst case maybe $700k--and I am sure you could do it well for half that.

14. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I dunno...

I read an article once about how the CF bodies are made. They start with a gigantic hunk of metal and machine it on a 5-axis CNC machine. They use this as a mold for the actual body parts.

Most shops charge those machines out at a few hundred an hour (or sometimes a lot more), times a few hundred hours of machining for each F1 body mold. Plus buying giant hunks of expensive metal, and I'm sure mid-season everything is getting overnighted here and overnighted there. It adds up, a few hundred grand here, few hundred grand there. I have no idea how many molds there are that make up the total number of parts that would need replaced, but it could be 3-4 molds, maybe 10 molds, and the costs could easily be in the multiple millions just for that. Add in design time, testing, recertification (new crash test would be required by the FIA), production, the costs to change them on the actual cars (i.e. maybe the cars need to get shipped back on charter flights to home base and back again im time to go to the next race).

I can see a $20mm figure being reasonable. I certainly don't think it's total pie in the sky... I'm sure they add in every little thing they can (sort of like when someone puts together a list for their insurance claim for damages after a roof collapse) but I am not sure it isn't based in reality.

I think the FIA will just make them legal for everyone though, so despite the whining, the teams are gonna have to suck it up and remake parts of the car.

15. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Off base, exaggerated journalism sells better than facts to the general public.

16. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    who was it that said.........don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.........

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Wait a second though, if they were to re-design the car how would they test it? Isn't there a ban on testing? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous to run a basically new car without testing it to see if it's actually better?

18. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Obviously there is no substitute for pure empirical data but given the situation it may be a risk worth taking.

You'd be amazed by how advanced some of the computer simulations can be.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I'm a diffuser
    I'm not what I appear to be.
    I'm a diffuser...

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That's true. I saw the Acura documentary on Speed and David Brabham said that simulator used by Wirth engineering was really accurate. Apparently the whole car was designed and tested in the simulator before it was actually built. That said it is a bit of a risk without real world testing.

21. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    #21 Sempre_gilles, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    Suppose that the quoted amount of $20 million is true. Isn't it ironic then that a single inadequate defined rule forces several teams to spend these kind of amounts to adapt while most of the the rule changes were meant to REDUCE costs in the first place?

22. LongJohnSilver

LongJohnSilver Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2006
    Gainesville FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    LMPDesigner, I dont mean to discount your opinion, as you always seem to know your stuff, but I dont see the figure as being that high.
    Look at say the budget of a major team for the year. Say $400 million (Ive heard that Toyota's budget was as high as $600 mil). Over 365 days that is just over a million dollars a day. Granted this is the whole teams budget, but it is still on the same order of magnitude.

The 40 day figure is also not 100% accurate. The teams have known about the other team's diffusers for some time now. It was at least a few weeks before the season that the issue hit the media. I would bet that the teams started work on it from the moment they found out they were behind. That pushes the time period to 65 to 70 days.

I believe the real sticking point is the gearbox housing. The larger diffuser needs a lot more space and lots of that comes from a differently designed gearbox housing. A redesign of this area would certainly cost an amount near this. The housing is load bearing and the suspension is partially mounted to it, correct? Would certainly be a costly redesign. You may be right that it just wouldn't be possible in even a few months though.

23. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    This is shows that cost reductions aren't going to work, only a budget cap can reduce F1 spending. If teams are forced to spend less money in one area, i.e. testing, they'll just get that money and spend it in another area.

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    McL has best simulator going. Fat lot of good it did them.
    VIA will have to modify test ban.