Who has had a belt snap before recommended interval | FerrariChat

Who has had a belt snap before recommended interval

Discussion in '308/328' started by BassMan, Mar 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There is another thread asking who has pushed the Major service the farthest without incident.

ie "who got away with it"

The natural flipside is who had a problem withing the recommended time frame - 3yr / 15k.

Probably some of our mechanic friends would have the most such stories.

2. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    When my belt snapped my pants fell right to the floor. Boy was I surprised. Now I know why you have to change belts every couple of years.

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The amazing thing is that if you read the posts, given that there are thousands of Ferraris around, there is probably only less than a dozen documented failures. Think about those percentages. If you can't handle the fear and cost, then get a 430. No belts.

Art

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The stupid thing to me about belts is that they were developed as a cheaper alternative to a chain. Nobody builds a maximum performance engine and, if the engine was originally used belts, leaves the belts on it to drive the camshaft(s). They change to either chain or gear drive. I'm surprised there are no commonly available conversions for these engines but, of course mods would be required to allow oil to be supplied to the gears/chain and returned to the engine sump.

I've always felt that this application was the worst possible for a belt. But obviously nobody in the auto industry asked me and the reality is that they work fine for the most part. But the physical layout of the 3x8 cams, tensioner and crank screams for a chain or gear...

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Do you not know that is an example from a 12 cylinder, so naturally it does not count? You and I already know the correct answer and our belts will never break.

Mike- One reason belts were introduced was they were quieter and another was they were cheaper. At least for the manufacturer. Ferrari changed back to chains when the trend to lower maintenance costs and longer periods between maintenance became prevalent in the industry.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The 308 has a huge rear weight bias. So if you were designing a car from the ground up, like Ferrari did, why wouldn't you consider all the weight saving of belts. I believe there is a 30 - 50 lb savings when you consider the weight of the current pulleys and belts compared to double row steel gears, double row chains more robust tensioners, and the housing to seal them in. I think it was a good call on their part.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I was at Algar Ferrari a few years ago when they were repairing (that's an understatement) an engine that had experienced a belt failure. Was not a 308, my recollection was 5 valves per cylinder so probably a 355, right?

What a mess it was.

Don't recall what the mechanic said it was gonna cost, but I do remember being staggered by the number.

DM

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The weight of sprockets over gears is minimal. A double roller timing chain of the length necessary might weigh a couple of pounds. The total weight difference could not exceed 10 lbs and there would be no issue with worrying about belts. Remember, when car engines went to cam belt drive, belt replacing became normal maint, usually at around 60k miles. With chains there was no periodic maint at all. Belts were not installed to make engines better, chains were removed to make engines cheaper. As I said in a different post, nobody leaves a belt drive cam system in a car that is being modified for high performance. They go "back" to a chain or gear drive.

10. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Good post. Interestingly enough that the Lambo V8 (Urraco P250) that preceded the Ferrari V8 started off with timing belts and then
    moved to chains a few years later with the P300.

11. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    This is one time Ferrari should have copied the 911 timing chain design.
    Porsche used 3 different tensioner designs, first one used a primed oil tensioner. 2nd used a sealed hydraulic tensioner then Porsche went to a sealed oil fed chain tensioner.
    The chains never received any oil. Mercedes uses a similar design.

There was a thread containing info where someone designed a chain conversion for the 308.
    I think it was expensive.

12. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Ferrari went to belts not just for cost and weight reasons but also for packaging reasons. A belt can be much more conveniently packaged (translation: smaller) than a belt. Chains would have meant moving the engine back a few inches, which would have meant the transaxle moves back by the same amount, forcing the wheelbase to lengthen...and so on....

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 miketuason, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think this is the one!
    It has been done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'd be interested in reading that thread...not that I am going to do it, but just curious.

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #17 mike996, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    Hard to tell from the small pic - I'm trying to figure out where the lubrication for the chain is coming from...must be there someplace!

Looks nice and is narrower front to back than a belt has to be. Another advantage to a chain. Amazing how we humans can come up with a "modern" way that doesn't work as well as what came before. THEN, we change back to the old way and sell that as an improvement. "ALL Nissan interference engines are NOW equipped with chain driven camshafts for improved reliability and performance!" Used to be that ALL engines had chain driven cams...

We are a bizarre species! ;)

17. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    The 308 is pretty piggish in weight, I don't think 30 extra lbs are the reason they did it. (Although I doubt going to chains would add anywhere near 30 lbs).

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 miketuason, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike I thinks that's the lubrication hoses down below.
    Read about it here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185300&highlight=308+chain+drive&page=5
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    AH yes, I see it!