Miami Vice Daytona Replica | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Miami Vice Daytona Replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Yamaric, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Talking about Miami Vice, i just watched the Episode called Florence Italy from Season 2, and it is shot during the Miami GP. The killer drives around in a Porsche 906 !!!

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I agree. Keep it as original as possible.
    :)
    BT

3. Grigio 308

Grigio 308 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fielden
    Richard, just sent you a PM...

4. JurrasicNarc

JurrasicNarc Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    #54 JurrasicNarc, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    Neither this car nor the Volo car were used on the TV Show Miami Vice. The show used 2 cars, one based on a 1976 Vette frame and the other a 1981 Vette frame. Carl Roberts received both cars at the end of their use on Miami Vice. Carl sold one of the cars (1981) to an individual and that car is still in private hands and is not on display. The 1976 was disassembled and the body was placed on another frame. As the bodies don't have identifying numbers it is impossible to be sure where the body off the 1976 car is, but the frame numbers of the Volo car can't be traced back to the show.

The car pictured here has a faux Ferrari dash (the show cars had modified Corvette dashes), the show cars had automatic transmissions, a special brake system added, and a completely different version of interior with a tan tonneau cover. The show cars had Ferrari emblems correctly placed between the headlights, and the headlights were 4 beam 4x6 behind smoked plexiglass.

All 5 seasons of the show are available on DVD and the obvious differences between the show car and the car in the pictures are easy to spot.

This is one of hundreds of "the real car used on Miami Vice".

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Nice first post!

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I believe the Testarossa was the real deal!

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    they had at least 1 replica for stunt and 1 real for close ups ... on the show if you look closely you can tell the replica

8. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I would agree with Meister. I was down at Robert's facilities to work out a deal on purchasing one of his cars and all three cars from the show were there. I took several pics of all of them. At the end of the series, Roberts had ownership of all three, especially since he built the one Testarosso stunt car. One was sold and is still in a private collection. Unless you have the documentation to back up your claims I don't think that this is one of the originals. I can see differences between this car and the ones that I have pictures of.

Last year at Russo Steele Scottsdale show, a guy was trying to convince me that his 250 Cal Spyder was the original one from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He claimed he bought it directly from the studio and then did all the repairs, but never took any pictures of the car. Now who buys a collectible car and never takes pictures of it, especially when you first get it.

9. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    #59 512bbnevada, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Around 91 I wanted one of these cars bad couldn't afford a real Ferrari. Mcburnie moved the molds and bodies down to a hard to locate shop in Tijuana. Went there they had a near completed replica that had been sitting for years and bodies stacked up high in a yard plus the molds were there. A dealer had one of these cars in burlingame ca took it for a spin women were fooled but got a lot of frowns and something doesn't look right from guys decided a fake just isn't the same as the real deal so ended my desire for one. As others have posted the Vice car used in the show was an auto with 4 headlights a corvette dash and correct ferrari logos on the center caps of the wheels and badges, id check your sources on this car being an actual Vice car seems to be a fake of a fake

10. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Ditto. It is what it is...

11. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Coys now apparently have one of the three up for auction, replica dash, similar seats to that of the real one and Ferrari badge higher up the bonnet........ it does come with a 7" Miama Vice Vinyl which must prove it to be the real thing :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/952479.htm

12. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    So post up some screen caps to prove what you say.

13. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    I met the owner of this car who is a prominent TN businessman with quite the collection of "movie / TV cars" in his museum. I have to believe that he knew what he was purchasing.

14. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
  15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That's funny, the badge moves from the hood to the space between the headlights in the Miami Vice photos. So they had at least two cars or a front end remodel at some point. Also some shots show clear glass over the lights and some show what looks like smoked glass or black over the lights. One looks like the cover is completely removed, but it just might not show reflections well.

16. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    #67 Rickenbach, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Quote: Coys now apparently have one of the three up for auction, replica dash, similar seats to that of the real one and Ferrari badge higher up the bonnet........ it does come with a 7" Miama Vice Vinyl which must prove it to be the real thing

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/952479.htm

The one on the show had some crappy tan C3 seats that were daytonaized.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    +1 If you watch this episode, you'll note that this car has OEM interior and pop-up headlamps.....the one true Daytona on the show.

18. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Uh, NO. Note that the Coys car headlights are ROUND, where the MV Daytona car's headlights are SQUARE....MV car interior is TAN with BLACK stripes, Coys car is RED. MV cars were Auto Tranny, Coy's Car is Manual........

19. P Zero

P Zero Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    One of them is at the Swap Shop in Florida.

20. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    #71 BrianC, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    I posted some recent photos of the TR at Swap Shop along with the Daytona Spider replica in a thread under North Carolina/South Carolina on Fchat. It's titled "Photo Tour of 2009 Cavallino Classic"

Be warned... there are tons of photos of the Cavallino Classic in this thread... takes a while to load.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237691

21. JurrasicNarc

JurrasicNarc Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    #72 JurrasicNarc, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    THe interior of the Miami Vice car was a custom job done by Marc Cicchetti of San Diego, and is easily spotted. The car interior was replicated for both cars. This is a much later McBurnie car with the smaller headlight opening designed for a drop down cover. Also, the real MV car had amber tail lights on the inside and red brake lights on the outboard side. And the MV car used Zenith knock off wire wheels with gold eagle inserts on the spinners, Vitaloni Baby Tornados, and had the odd McBurnie full width grill (see bottom picture) while the pretender has a Ferrari clone type grill.

There are only two cars from the show, and I have seen documents from Universal Studies attorneys which contain the VIN of each car. One is in private hands, has the correct Vin for the 1981 car and is the car from the screen captures you see, the other was dis-assembled and no longer exists. The car in the Volo Museum may be the body from the 1976 Vette based car, but since the body has no numbers there is no way to tell.

22. JurrasicNarc

JurrasicNarc Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    Between season 1 and season 2 both cars had the badge moved down between the headlights, and the smoked plexiglass added.

23. 308328LOVER

308328LOVER Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2005
    Lenoir City, TN
    Full Name:
    Thomas Geer
    Finally, . . . finally someone is right.

This car was never on the series at all. Now, . . it might have been in Miami
    or has been driven on the streets of Miami, but that is it. Period. I have watched
    every episode of Miami Vice. I know the cars. When I saw this thread, I said "wow".
    When I looked at the pictures, I said "no way".

JurrasicNarc, . . you sir, . . are correct. I was thinking everything that you wrote
    when I saw those pictures. Wow ! Forget the "screen captures" to prove your point.
    Screw that ! This car was never on any episode of Miami Vice. end of story.

Thank you and good night.

24. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Didn't the car get blown up by Ted Nugent before the Testarossa arrived? What did they use for that episode? Was it a prop that only looked real from a distance.