BMW question | FerrariChat

BMW question

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 365GTC/4, Mar 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    What is the best website for BMW chat? Similar to FChat
    What is the general opinion on a E46 320i ? maintenance issues, reliability etc Is the 5 speed tiptronic bullet proof or a money pit etc?
    PLEASE keep answers sensible, especially you Malvin, otherwise you might find yourself banned from OHOS drives in future.
    Thanks
    John

2. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    My experence has been very positive, I currently own a E36 320i and it is one of the better daily drivers I have owned. (A4 C220 etc) A friend of mine owned a 320i, and lets just say he was not very careful with it. Never missed a beat though.
    Interiors in the E46 are the same as all prior BMW's, rubbish, not the layout or design but the glue on all the trims will fail and your roof lining will sag over time. Plastic warps in the sun etc. Engines and drive train are strong, check for diff wine. Steering racks seem to be an issue but not overly expensive to fix (labour is more than the parts).

Other than that, great looking car, safe and reliable, and surprisingly economical and powerful given the size of the motor.

3. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    www.bimmerforums.com not much of an australian community there though, you'll be talking to americans

4. BAD930

BAD930 Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Bouncing Around
    Full Name:
    Shmuley
    #4 BAD930, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    The E46 was an allround good car with no major pitfalls, I've owned a couple and driven many over the years and they've always been consistently reliable.

The big factor though is buying one thats been well maintainted and serviced and not mechanically neglected.

The 320 was the entry 6 cyl but seems to miss out on some of the goodies that it big brothers has, like electric sports seats, gps etc..

IMO the money is much better spent on a higher spec well optioned BMW such as a 325/330 i

Bottom line, as boring as it is you can get go wrong with a 3 for every day use

5. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Umm, This is Ferrarichat, try looking up google or check with the local car club.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #6 Arvin Grajau, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    got ya shirt ironed for the run.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Now that ain't a bad shirt for a drive. You should wear that down on the Friday. Bryan M wants more guys to wear proper stuff like that. The drive we had last year with the Lambo guys was a great laugh.
    John

8. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    ok will pull it how.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It has been confirmed that BMW will be using a smaller turbo engine for the 2013 M3. Motor Trend says it spoke to BMW's M Division CEO Ludwig Willisch and he confirmed the upcoming ditching of the current V8 format. The naturally-aspirated 4.0-litre V8 produces 309kW (420hp) and 400Nm of torque. Previous generation M3s used four and six-cylinder motors.

The report states that a new six-cylinder will be employed but it is not the same 3.0-litre twin turbo that is used in the 135i and 335i ranges. Two turbos are likely to be fitted instead of just one. What might miff M traditionalists a little is not a forcefed M3 but the fact that BMW is toying with the idea of a V6 for the M3 which would be more compact as opposed to the traditional inline six BMW is known to strictly use. The new engine might not even be more powerful than the V8 but the car itself would be light in order to counter this power handicap.

The segment will get very interesting as Mercedes-Benz also prepares a new 3.5-litre twin turbo V6 for some of its AMGs and Audi is rumoured to have already forcefed the upcoming RS4 and RS5.

More news on the M front is that a 1 Series-based high-performance car was also confirmed. Thought to be developed by the M guys, BMW will probably not call it an M1. It will also have a compact four-cylinder petrol engine with well over 300hp (221kW).

Finally speculation is that the M5 is about to get its cylinders cut too in order to meet stringent emissions laws and fuel economy standards. The M5 and M6 may end up with a twin turbo V8 motor displacing less than 5.0-litres.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090320.014/rumor-bmw-m3-to-receive-six-cylinder-turbo---1-series-m-is-a-go

10. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    who cares.

11. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Thats the same push from BMW and Mercedes that behind the move for smaller tubo'd engines in F1.

12. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    So is the V8 officially dead????

I did like the sound of the BMW straight six, but you can't beat the sound of a V8 IMHO (Or V12 Ferrari engine :D) hence only buying V8's

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    looks like it.

hey....does anyone know....when did diesel become cheaper than 91 unleaded??

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Does Ferrari make a diesel? If not wrong thread/manufacturer!

15. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    made plenty of trucks.

16. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    now?

17. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    50/60/70s

18. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    ah, not now, then

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    give 'em time

20. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
  21. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I just joined it for the Porker section.