Dino steerng wheels history, steering wheel 206 S? | FerrariChat

Dino steerng wheels history, steering wheel 206 S?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino Club Germany, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #1 Dino Club Germany, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From what I know it should be like this:

1) 206 Dino has the wooden steering wheel Nardi type
    2) "L" series Dino has the one like the Daytona with the big center/horn button
    3) "M" series Dino has the three spoke Momo Prototypo with holes
    From this I knew three versions:
    a) earlier cars hav a smaller steering wheel rim diameter
    b) later cars have the bigger diameter
    c) earlier steering wheels have the middle/lower spoke without leather start/beginning as the other spokes,
    later all spokes start with leather
    4) "E" series Dino has no holes in the spokes any more

Dino 246 Momo steering wheels were always silver and never black like on later Ferraris.
    They were also always not flat/even, sorry I don´t know the right word in english.

In general the Momo Prototypo was also used by some other OEM like in the Renault Alpine A110, but in smaller diameters.
    Momo sold the Prototypo also on the aftermerket and it was available in severall sizes and in flat.

A long time ago I bought in Italy from a Ferrari collector a Momo steering wheel which seems to be older than all Dino steering wheels I have seen before.
    The "MOMO" writing on the back is in big letters and the seam looks much more handmade.
    The leather itself loks more brown, at least all black is gone.
    The three spokes are similar but even/flat.
    And the biggest diference ist the "DINO" writing on the midle spoke.
    The writing is not painted it is engraved into the material.
    The only car I have seem such a steering wheel before was an 206 S/ SP.
    Has anyone seen a similar steering wheel before?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
  3. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Some early "L" series cars also had the same wooden steering wheel from the 206.

4. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher

But thank you for the link, this support my opinion and there are also statements that the "MOMO" as written on the steering wheel spke
    was written between 1966 and 1968.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What sort of wheel would # 1104 (L) be proper with?
    Regards,
    Alberto

6. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #6 Dino Club Germany, Mar 15, 2009
    This one, even if the picture is not from a Dino ;-)

7. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #7 4redno, Mar 15, 2009
  8. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone know where I could purchase a Dino script horn button for a Nardi style wheel? A repro is OK

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How about a proper wheel for an "L"? Any sources, or unobtanium?
    Regards,
    Alberto

10. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    Alberto,

I have sent you an e-mail

Steve

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My later Dino (04808) has a thin-section leather wheel. My earlier one (03964--produced six months earlier) has a thicker-section rim. There is also a slight difference on the leather covering the bottom (vertical) spoke. Does anyone know whether the thickness of the steering wheel rim was merely random, as was often the case with trim items on the early 250 Ferraris? Fred

12. Zorglub

Zorglub Rookie

Dec 1, 2008
    I am also looking for a Dino horn button. It is quite easy to find the smll (5cm) ones that can be fited to the new Nardi classic wheels.

However, I am looking for the larger 6cm early one. Does anyone have a clue where I can find one?

Many thanks

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    What part of the button are you measuring to get 5 cms?

14. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #14 pjbf, Jul 18, 2013
    I guess this was a slepping subject, i have a big steering wheels passion so i´m a kind of colector/buyer/seller of steering wheels. Happens that i have one of these DINO engraved MOMO wheels, that i also just saw on the SP´s, i have sold a few MOMO 3 pad prototipos that were the OEM DINOS after the wooden ones!!!But wheels like the one i post a picture, i wonder which car had that fantastic piece history, let me know if you still around here the forum, i know this was one of first MOMO frame model, but that´s about it...

Kindest regards

Paulo

15. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #15 Dino Club Germany, Jul 21, 2013
    Paulo,
    It is great to find someone that share the same interest and has seen the same rare steering wheel. I´m still not sure if mine comes out of a 206 S or SP as on all the three pictures the steering wheel is fixed only with 4 screws, but mine with 6 (see pictures). Maybe it was in one of the few Dino 206 Prototype cars?
    BR Nico

16. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #16 pjbf, Jul 22, 2013
    Hi Nico,

Well, maybe some member can give us a help here, i post some pictures of mine, i also emailed some of my friends momo colectors, allthought we share most of the information that we have gattered over the yaers, i have seen/had/sold as i stated a lot of vintage momo´s from proto´s to monzas, to le mans, indy´s or daytonas, a lot of people know me around the world, so i´m quite used to see vintage momo´s and pre-momos abarth or moretti´s monte carlo´s, the work of Giampiero Moretti it has a great contribut to car motosport and all the major brands sport-cars. But i have to say that i had not see one of these before. have a look at pic´s maybe we can share some info than, all the best

Kind regards

Paulo

17. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #18 pjbf, Mar 20, 2014
    Maybe is a FIAT DINO 206 steering wheel, after a lot of recearsh and talking with some wheels experts I think I solve the mystery, on early Fiat Dino the 206 these wheels were seen, but also wooden ones, maybe some member can input some info in this intriging steering wheel, if you aske me and I have seen/collected/sold some of the rarest of the MOMO and pre-MOMO and Moretti wheels, so I know a MOMO when I see one, and I know a copy when I see one, anyway it makes sense, this aluminium rimm is dated 66/67 acording to other Ferraris that are around, specially race ones!!So it was probably an option for some cars, also sold undriled...anyway here some pictures I found from an 67 first series Fiat Dino spider car.

All the best

Paulo

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very cool !!!

Our member Napolis has restored a Dino Spyder....we could ask him what he has.

19. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    At the beginning of this thread it was said in the summary “Dino 246 Momo steering wheels were always silver and never black like on later Ferraris”. However, when I acquired 07228 last year, it had a black steering wheel. When 07226 came up for sale later in the year, I was pleased that it too had a black steering wheel. Both are European model GTSs. So, I’m wondering if anyone else has a black steering wheel and questioning the accuracy of the statement?

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Ken, that`s just a coincidence...
    originally no black steering wheels have been fitted by the factory, such an option wasn`t available...

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Two different "MOMO" logo's in both potential wheels.

The simple MOMO stamp is much older. The "MO" over another "MO" is the more modern version. By "Modern", I am not talking current, but not of period.

Thoughts?

22. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    From the research I've done over the years, the stacked MO-MO logo started in 1968 and continued through 1973-74 when it was replaced by the version we see today.

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    So, is this a wheel from a Fiat?

24. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #25 pjbf, Mar 22, 2014
    Hi Mark, we know each other quite some years now, and from what we have both seen/bought/sold/colleted, taking in consideration the wheels that we had and have, I should say and talking after the Pre-MOMO years. That 1º was Pat.MOMO Italy the 2º was the MOMO straight big bold letters similar to pat. MOMO Italy but without the PAT. ITALY, than stacked MO MO in the back, and finnaly small MOMO word in the front and Made in Italy with pat M 20340 in the back. (note that 1º pat from momo was 12707 as can see in the early moretti and early LeMans) , and painted letters in front for all models Le Mans, Prototipo, Elite, Monza, Indy, Daytona. After 1976 you can see manufateur dates on wheels. Mark, maybe you have sitill that picture of the undilled F1 wheel that i think it was really a rarity, that rim is an early Moretti pruduction. if you have a close look´s at rims we know that the are similar, only diferent covers, either wood or leather, diferent stitching acording to diferent models. I will back up this post with pictures. I have ben dealing with Momos for quite some years, and I have the luky of knowing the best people (I believe worldwide) on this passionate subject from US to Italy, from UK to Germany,I know the really "aficionados off Moretti work" Mark M. is for sure one of them.

I find steering wheels the part of the car that really conects the driver to the machine, being a driver myself, i will not discured ever a confortable for all meand steering wheel, and when we talk classics of course PERIOD CORRECT is a must.

All the best

Kind regards to all

Paulo

(pictures are from random MOMOS that i have or had)