Finally joining the Porsche family | FerrariChat

Finally joining the Porsche family

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by HobbsTC, Mar 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Alright. After working with my indy mechanic/dealer for 3 wks, I've got a new car coming tomorrow. We checked 996s high and low but he didn't like any of the ones that fit my price range. So I ended up with a 2003 Boxster S. Should be fun having the vert since we go to the beach almost every weekend in the summer. And in a couple of years when we have kids, I'll just "upgrade" to the 911. Dave is heading up to ATL to pick up the car for me tonight (assuming it passes his final inspection) and I'll have it tomorrow. Perfect color (not silver) and my favorite rims. Looks like a great car!

My new BoxsterS.

2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Congrats! I almost got into a Boxster S last year but decided to stay put in my current ride. Wonderful cars, is that Seal Grey? Love the Carrera wheels on it. Enjoy!

3. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks! It's either seal grey or atlas grey. I'll check the paint code tomorrow when I get it. Gotta get the bumper plugs to get rid of the front plate.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Congrats on a fine car! If you're still thinking a 996 in that "couple years," I don't think the 911 will be an "upgrade" - I'd sure rather have a Boxster S than a 996... but then, I like my 964 C4 better than a 996 too.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 Michael B, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great car. You will luv the bang for the buck. I bought one for my wife last year (2003 standard - one of my favorites) and I find that I drive it more than she does! (she drove it 800 miles in 2008, I drove it 3000). You will really enjoy that car man. Well done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Passed PPI! Just needs a few rock chips touched up and front pads in about a year. Can't wait to pick it up tonight!

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Congrats! You'll love the car, I know I loved mine.

8. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Welcome to the family!

9. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, I just picked it up. What a blast! Doesn't make me miss my 97 Cobra I sold at all. But it does need to be louder. I had off road pipes and a catback on the Cobra, so I'm used to rediculously loud. The only problem wiht it is that it needs a good detail and the hood has some medium size rock chips in it.

10. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You will LOVE IT! Until you have kids and need the rear seats you won't miss ANYTHING about a 996 over that Boxster S! I too like those wheels best. CIII's are AWESOME! I want a set for my 928 BAD!

With 71k miles I suspect you got a SMOKIN' deal on that car. $20k or less is my guess... Boxsters are a bargain these days! I would love to buy one for my wife, but I need the purple metallic color they made in the 2nd and 3rd model years. If anyone sees one in that color let me know. Viola metallic I think is what it is called... Prefer a tip so I can drive it, but she would love a standard I know! I guess I should probably find a new job first...

Congrats on your new family member!

James

11. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, I got it out the door under $20k. The 03s seem to still be in the mid to low 20s I guess because of the changes to the headlights/bumper and the glass rear window. This one was a credit union repo, so they sold it for what they had in it.

12. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    AWESOME! Way to go! Smokin' deal! Drive it like you stole it!

James

13. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It looks like Seal Grey. Atlas Grey is a bluish grey.

Congrats on the car, enjoy it in good health! And www.e-partsales.com is your friend for parts and accessories.

///Michael

14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yep it's Seal. And I rode home with the top down tonight, even though it was in the 40s.

15. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    #15 Adrift, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    Even though I am not currently driving one, I have a hard time arguing against the Boxster being the best car Porsche makes. It may not have the grunt some do, or look as racy, but they are awesome handling, tons of fun, and now since they sold a gajillion...they are cheap cheap cheap. I miss mine every day the weather is reasonably nice.

They might not be loud to everyone else, but when you are on the gas hard and that intake is howling in your ear, that is all the automotive music you need, IMO. :D

Drive in good health.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I don't know - I think the Boxster is the best looking Porsche in MANY recent years. Call me a heathen, but I think it looks better than any contemporary Ferrari except perhaps the 550 too.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Boxster is probably one of the best value/$ cars out there.
    Its got most all of a 911's power but placed where it should be; Middle.
    And its less than a hardtop Cayman.
    I must have missed something in marketing class.

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Congrats! Have fun :)

I have a question: why do all US P-cars have those strange plastic inserts next to rear plates?? I think they ruin the car's backside...

19. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks everybody. I have to say that at the moment, I'm glad I got it instead of the 911. I can't wait to put the top down every time I drive it. I have gotten more complements that I ever did on my Cobra, and I used to get a lot on it.

20. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    They're called bumperettes. My understanding is that if someone lightly hits the rear of the car, they absorb the impact so that the paint doesn't get scratched.

21. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    congrats :) welcome to the family ! Now that you have taken a step off the edge, there is no turning back...

22. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Hmm...that's interesting. Why do all US cars come with them?

IMO they don't look right on high-end cars. Don't you have an option to remove them?

23. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congratulations on the new purchase,
    Two huge issues with these cars (986/996) are the RMS- "Rear Main Seal" and intermediate shaft failures.
    Good luck and enjoy the ride.

24. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah, the RMS I can handle. The IMS I'm afraid of. However, it has 70k on it so far and from what I've researched, it should be "safer" from IMS failure, though not immune unfortunately.

25. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Just had my first repair on it. The CV boots were torn. All 4 of them. Noticed it when I was changing the oil this weekend. Luckily my friend took it into his shop and replaced them for cost of the parts, so $150 later I was good to go.