Living on your own Senior year (college. duh) | FerrariChat

Living on your own Senior year (college. duh)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Feb 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone do it? Its looking like i'm going to be getting my own apartment next year (well, in April) and i'm pretty pumped. My current roomate (who was my friend last year) has made me realize i can't deal with a roomate again. I have a bunch of friends and even though they are my friends, i can't see myself living with any of them.

Experiences? I'm a pretty independent person and i'm pretty much on my own right now since my current roomate is hardly ever around (and rarely talks to me even if he is).

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're going about this all wrong. you need to find some freshmen girls to share an apartment with.

3. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    What do you need help with? I did everything in college - dorms, roommates, sleeping on someone's couch for a semester, living by myself etc.

I actually had a great set up in my last semester. I found a room available in a 2 bedroom and the guy living there recently graduated and had landed a job with KPMG. He also had a girlfriend nearby. I kid you not, of the 4 months I lived there, he spent the night maybe once. But he did catch me masturbating, which was really embarassing (but not as embarassing as when your mother catches you).

My only advice is just have fun (assuming you're doing well).

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sometimes people share too much. This is one of those times.

6. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Living alone is GREAT! I'm doing my first year at uni now and I absolutely love living alone. It'll teach you to be more independent and you'll learn to cook, clean and generally become a more domesticated person. I can't stand living with other people, but if you're one of those people who hate being alone then I suggest you get a room mate.

7. erik1968

erik1968 Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #7 erik1968, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    LOL!!! That's the way to do it. I remember when I left the dorms and lived on my own for the first time,...I felt such a sense of freedom.

8. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Been living alone since my senior year (of High school) and I would never have it any other way. I take care of my cleaning. I decorate my house how I want it. Make the food I want. If something isn't done right there is no one else to blame. I occasionally let friends crash at my place but I cannot stay for more than 2 days with someone (hence why I don't camp).

9. erik1968

erik1968 Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Well said!

10. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have lived on my own since my sophomore year. My first year in the dorms showed me I can't do roommates. No regrets. It is nice to always know what you are coming home to. Place is always clean, fridge is how I left it, don't have to share a bathroom. My course load has always been really heavy, so being able to come home to a clean quite place where I could work uninterrupted around the clock was great. Only downside is that it is usually a little more expensive, but well worth the added expense.

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    TOO MUCH INFORMATION IN THIS HERE POST.

12. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    Wouldn't have it any other way, although I still have a couple years of school left.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LMAO! That had to suck. So you've been caught by your mom too! Bad timing. :D

I've never not had a roommate. All through college and now have a roommate 3 years out of college. I'm getting my own apartment early next year. Looking forward to it.

14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I think you will find living on your own gives a huge feeling of peace, but also responsibility. All in “growing up”. I went from renting parent’s house to owning my own house in my early 20s. Go for your own place & enjoy the privacy & control of your environment. Yeah, & encourage full volume during your dates.

15. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Do it, unless you have a really good friend. Then live with them. Living alone can suck, too. I do it now.

16. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    hmm. Can i call you later and talk to you about it? I'm trying to get both sides of the argument

17. Fred 02

Fred 02 Karting

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm a senior now and live with 3 of my teammates. I've known numerous individuals, including my bro, that lived alone and didn't like it. Granted living alone you don't have to live with the distraction and irritation that roomies cause but thats part of what makes it a blast. Regardless of how stressed we are, there is always someone doing something stupid that makes you shake you head and say 'wtf' while smiling. College has made me extremely independent but know that I would definitely regret living alone.

18. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #18 swilliams, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    I would have hated living alone in college. You will have plenty of time to do that later. What dont you like, people eating your food, and stuff. Thats totally normal.

Just be prepare and plan it so that you have nothing you care about at the apartment. That way you wont care when your roommates break, steal or piss on something of yours. :) Just make sure you get roommates that pay bills. College living should be carefree, enjoy it while it lasts cause once your out responsibility is at your doorstep 24/7. HAVE FUN!!!!! and dont sweat the small stuff. Oh and try to keep your name off the lease if possible, but if your on it make sure everyones name is on it.

My portion of rent in college was $150/month in 1999. Can't find that kind of deal anywhere by yourself.

PS-- somebody is jacking off way too much getting caught like that..dont you know it'll make you go blind.

19. 575man

575man Karting

Aug 15, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've been living with 5 roomates for the past 2 years....granted we have a decent sized place but there's still no way of stopping the mess. The place is constantly dirty. The good part is we all have enough room to get away from eachother for our own time, and there's always someone around to chill with.

After going through rez, I had a great time, but I wouldnt want to do it for another year....its a good experience to do once but I'm glad I moved out. I prefer living with roomates, but if i had to start again I would prob get a place with only 2 or 3. Personally, I wouldnt really wanna live alone but 5 roomates is a bit much sometimes.

What college are you at?

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rider University. College life here sucks for various reasons which is why i moved off campus

The problem is, like i said, i really can't see myself living happily with any of my friends. They are all my friends but i couldn't live with them. It sucks, my two good friends who i met just this year are seniors and moving away at the end of this year. They would have been the perfect roomates. They live together now.

21. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Yes! Call me.

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll call tonight

23. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the life learning events is how to get along with others, even in a living situation. This is something everyone needs to do. You are missing something very important if you don't. How will you ever learn to live with another person such as,.....let's say....a woman (wife)? How will you know if the two of you can live together? Trial and error is not a life style and should be avoided.

I say learn to compromise and learn tolerance.

24. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like i'll be getting my own place. I'm stoked

I'm also happy because my good friend lives in the same development and depending on where i live and what is avaliable he could literally be my neighbor. So i get to hang out with my friends while at the same time live on my own

25. 575man

575man Karting

Aug 15, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Glad to hear it..congrats.