talk to me about 996's | FerrariChat

talk to me about 996's

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Choptop, Feb 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I'm seeing them at $15-20k. I know about the engine issues (they might go kaboom). I've seen some with factory replaced engines at this price. I've seen some with 90k miles at this price, some with 50k miles.

whats the general consensus?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #2 Bullfighter, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    I have driven several of them, and for $20K it's a nice daily driver, but IMO a disposable car. There are quite a few of them on the cheap used car lots here in San Diego. The Tiptronic wasn't great, but the six-speed is effortless and the power is ample for normal driving situations. Aesthetics are what they are -- it has a bit much Toyota in its genes for me.

They do have the cheapest interior since the original Hyundai Excel. I remember Porsche offering an "aluminum-look" (!!) interior option -- like you can't have actual aluminum in a $70K car. I drove one with 10K miles that already had the coating flaking off the plastic. And unless the car is heavily optioned it feels bargain basement throughout.

If you get a cabriolet, get a 2002 or later car, as they made significant upgrades.

But I agree with you, the prices are tempting and while it's the bottom of the 911 pecking order it's still a fun car relative to anything else you can get in that price range. I suppose that for $20K we can judge it less harshly than we could when it sold for $70K+. I've thought about picking one up if the right car comes along.

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    its damn tempting.

I'm seeing 99's with replaced engines and warranties for $20. I've seen a C4 with a new engine for $24.

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I was shopping 996's for a daily until a 1995 993 coupe with 63k miles popped up in my backyard for $16,500. The 993 is now my DD as of Saturday. I figured I can't lose with that price if I decide it won't work out for me.

5. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have an 02 C2 Cab. It has been extremely fun to drive and very practical. The rear seats come in handy if you have little ones. I'd take if over any DD alternative out there.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

What Bullfighter said........you can get replacement engines for $8-10K from Porsche wreckers if yours goes......second gear will go in the transmission if the previous owner had an aftermarket short shift kit installed.......but other than that, good reliable DD cars. No charisma though.

7. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    **** Disclaimer- I'm not, nor have I ever been a Porche guy. I appreciate them for what they are, but never been a huge fan******

OK, now that that's out of the way. I did the same thing- Drove some 996's and liked them, never loved 'em. They're fast, and fun. I'm not educated on the reliability specifics, etc.
    My point is, I was looking for a new daily driver. A friend had me drive his SL600. Holy smokes! I drove the sl500, and then the SL55. I'm buying one- period. After these drives, I never again considered a 996 for a my daily driver.
    Do yourself a favor, drive one. The prices on these cars are DOWN, into the high 30's now. Still more than a 996, but LOTS more car. They're smokin' fast too!

Flame suit on...............

8. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    no flames from me, and I'm as "Porsche" as you're likely to find.

996's were not P's high water mark. My 20 y/o dodge p/u feels better built

9. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    The 996s are a great car, completely reliable, and are a bargain now. Get a 2002+ model. Get a turbo if possible. Prior complaints about cushiness, vs. the 993, can be remedied by two simple mods: a short shift ($400 installed) and a performance suspension, such as PSS10 Bilstein coilovers ($3000 installed). It you get a turbo, an ECU upgrade can add 40HP, and a set of bolt ons including larger turbos, sports cats, HD clutch can generate another 100HP ($15K installed). With AWD, the 996C4 and Turbos can be driven all year long, all the time, and you will have the satisfaction of enjoying great performance at low cost.

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have a sort of even-number/odd-number theory of porsches (at least past the 356)...

Ones I want - any 911, 993, the 997

Ones I don't want - 914, 924, 928, 930, 964, 996...

11. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No to thread hijack, but was just wondering if you could comment on the main differences in driving between the SL500,SL600, and SL55 models. Thanks.

12. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #12 KennyH, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    I personally prefer the SL55. AMAZING car - one of the best all-around sports tourers ever produced IMO. Steal of a deal now, too.

From the Wikipedia article:

* 2005 SL500 Roadster
    o Driver-adaptive 7-speed automatic transmission with TouchShift control
    o Aluminum hardtop (automatic retraction: 16 seconds)
    o US$90,620
    o 5.0 L 24-valve V8 engine 306 hp (228 kW) at 5,600 rpm, 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) 6.1 s

* 2005 SL55 AMG
    o Manual shift buttons
    o Sensotronic brakes with 8-piston front calipers
    o AMG Active Body Control suspension.
    o US$122,220
    o AMG supercharged 5.5 L (5439 cc) 24-valve V8 engine 497 hp (367 kW) at 6,100 rpm, 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) 4.7 s

* 2005 SL600 Roadster
    o Active Body Control suspension
    o Sensotronic Brake Control with enlarged front and rear disks
    o Heated and ventilated multicontour seats
    o US$128,220
    o Twin turbocharged 5.5 L (5513 cc) 36-valve V12 engine 493 hp (367 kW) at 5,000 rpm, 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) 4.6 s

* 2005 SL65 AMG
    o Power : 612 bhp / 435 kW
    o Torque : 1000 Nm / 738 ft·lbf
    o BHP/Liter : 102 bhp / liter
    o Top Speed : 250 km/h / 155 mph(electronically limited)
    o Top Speed : approx 338 km/h without electronically limitation
    o 0-100 km/h Acceleration : 4.2 s

13. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Sorry about the continued hyjacking.........

Sure. Keep in mind, this is only my opinion, based only on driving each car once.
    No doubt, it's worth little more than you're paying for it, but here goes.

SL500- First one I drove, Loved it. I thought it had nice low down torque and even a throaty sound to it. It ran out of "spunk" too quickly for my taste. All the controls, and indicators were intuitive, and in exactly the right spot. First time I drove any of them, and it felt almost like I'd owned the car for years. If I had a wife, I'd likely buy her one. I decided against the 996.

SL600- This was the second car I tested. The difference is immediate. As soon as you crank the car, you can FEEL that big motor in front. It growls too. The interior appointments were nicer and there was noticeably more authority under the right peddle. Great brakes too. The car feels heavier; but don't let this statement fool you- If you own a 550, or 575, you'd not want to street race this car. You'd get you a$$ handed to you.

SL55- By the time I drove this car, almost a week had passed. I was in Phoenix on a business trip and saw one in a showroom- I couldn't resist.
    This is the younger man's SL600. BIG punch, and it feels lighter, like the SL500, (but this is NO SL500). Monster torque and a nice ride around town too. Big Horsepower is immediately available. I'm looking on-line literally every day for one. Frankly, I'd take an SL600 as well, at the right price.

The one I tested in PHX was priced at 36k. I probably should've just gone ahead and bought it. I'm in no hurry. I won't sell my 360 spider to get one; but it'd be an awesome daily ride. I've gotta have one.

14. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    for more on the SL series, I started a new thread named MB SL's, in the General Automotive section. No more hyjacking..........

15. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    so the 996 is good, but lacks "soul"... which means its better than the previous versions... it lacks problems that people interpret as personality.

how am I doing?

16. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I've driven a few 996's.

Driven a 2002 base model w/tip. Blah.

Driven 2 2003 C4S both Manual. Very thrilling! One had the aluminum interior pack and it really picked it up!

Drove a 2003 TT. VERY VERY VERY thrilling. What a car!

The latter two are very attractive and exiting cars, at least in my experience. As an aside I've also driven a 2005 C2S (997) and it was my favorite of the bunch.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

james, you are not a 930 guy? as a zr-1 owner, i would think a mean old 930 would be squarely in your wheel house.

pcb

18. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    #18 James_Woods, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Let me tell you a little story about that - I had one of the original 1975 930 Turbos on order. The local dealer got his personal car first and let me drive it. This was the original version with the monumental turbo lag and only a 4-speed transmission. It had an interesting and scary belt of power at the 4000 RPM mark, but less than an old 912 four banger at anything less.

I cancelled the order and bought a 1975 911S instead.

Another interesting fact of life is that my 993 non-turbo actually has much better performance on any measure (acceleration, top speed, driveability, economy, etc) than the 930 did with merely the addition of 600cc of (normally aspirated) displacement.

Todays turbo cars I have no argument against.

19. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Funny you bring this up. I'm having my broker find me a nice 996 right now. Since it'll be a DD, I don't mind higher miles and the 3.4 in the 99-01. If you need someone to find you a car, call Dave at SmithMotorworks, 850-769-9500. He's in Panama City, FL and he's fantastic to deal with. Just give him your price and parameters and he'll go get what you want at the auction. he is an idepenent P-car mechanic, certified, as well as F-car, Maz, etc. And he races 911s. Plus his DD is an 850hp 996TT.

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I like the earlier 996 for what it is currently. A well priced not vintage Carrera. You can have fun with it, its affordable, gobs of hop-up parts are available for the chassis/interior/engine... And in the right color with the right wheels they look pretty smart. Plenty of value there.

Then obviously the 996TT has to be a contender for "best bang for the buck" currently. We all see them for low $40's and have to think "that car is only a few thousand away from 600+ HP and suburb daily reliability." And again, with the right color and good wheels they too look pretty smart. Exceptional value there.

Then I am sure we can all agree that the 996GT3 is a sweetheart. Looks good from all angles, has knifes edge handling, uber impressive acceleration & top speed, excellent resale value. That car alone has me parked in the 996 camp. They don't get a whole lot better than that.

I hope you find one and enjoy it for what it is.

21. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #21 Moving Chicane, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agree - everyone who thinks the 996 is weak ought to go drive a GT3 variant; then let me know what you think. No daily driver though, but there are some good deals on these out there
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I owned 3 996's 2 were tt's and I also had a 04 SL55 (a very moded one), I will say this, as a daily driver I'd say the SL55 is more comfy, more leather, but not as much fun.

23. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    I use my 05 GT3 as a DD...but then I live 1 mile from work. lol

The interiors can be a bit pedestrian, so I put some custom stitched GT3 seats with alcantara inserts in there, an exterior-color roll cage (white), and a painted center console (also white). I must say it really dresses up the insides nicely and gives it lots of pop.

In general, I find the 996 shape really bland, but the GT3 aero-kit somehow transforms it significantly, and the engine is pure butta.

24. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ^^^^^
    Agree with all that. The 997 really stepped it up I think in all the right ways. Heck of a car...love to add a 997TT to my collection some day! So many cars so little money! :)

James