Next Step Post 182? | FerrariChat

Next Step Post 182?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jamie140, Jan 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Hey guys, I've had my 182S for almost 2 years and I have a chance to get a 200 hour 2004 Cirrus SR22 G2 from a motivated sellor.

Most of my missions include excuses to burn holes in the sky and the odd $200 hamburger. I fly to and live in Naples/Marco during the winter so I'm looking for something to get me down here a little faster.

Can anyone shed some light on this plane? Or make suggestions for something else?

I'm about 500 hours with my ifr.

2. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think i would get the SR 22 G2, it has a larger useful load and has a higher cruse speed and range. That being said you already own the 182 so now its a difference of cost. From the looks of the specs on each they both have about the same fuel burn give or take 1g/hr

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I've read that you really should do the factory training courses if you do buy. The planes have had a reputation for getting pilots into trouble. Of course, that's most often the operator, not the equipment.

(they do come with a chute........)

4. MYMC

MYMC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2006
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lets see...we have had four of these and one SR20, I have 550hrs in a SR22 so I may be able to shed some light. The aircraft is fast for a single and is a good IFR machine. People get into trouble because it is easy to fly and easy to get behind. Fit and finish are less than stellar and there can be some real trouble out of the Avidynes (MFD & PFD)...check to see if the extended warranty was purchased as these can be extremely expensive to replace if not repairable. Doors can also be an issue and there are several service bulletins out about them. By where you live if the plane does not have AC I would walk way...they can be like an oven with all the glass around you (no wing over head like the Cessna). The cabin is very comfortable, better than any single, twin or jet I have flown. If you are left handed remember that this is a side yoke aircraft. Lastly, the ailerons are interconnected to the rudder (they are not on G3 birds)...this is very annoying at first and then will serve to make you a lazy pilot, it would be my biggest complaint about the G1 and G2 birds.

The transition course is mandatory by every insurance carrier that I know of and will take 15-20 hours to complete. It can be done in Duluth (why?) or with a local CSIP (Cirrus certified trainer). If you want information overload look here: http://www.cirruspilots.org/

Our 2007GTS cruises LOP at 175tas @ 8000 feet while using 13.0gph.

Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you whatever I know.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have some time in the 182 RG Turbo, and that is a great plane.

Not so fast as some others, but a good way to learn retractable gear and turbo handling.