My first helmet | FerrariChat

My first helmet

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by birddog, Feb 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1 birddog, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, now I need my first helmet for track events. Nothing serious, just FCA track days once or twice a year. I'll be in the "speed limited" group (convertible with no roll bar) and whatever helmet I choose will have to meet "Snell SA 2005 or FIA 8858, FIA 8860, and with a full face visor for drivers with open cars".

So in an effort to keep the cost down (I'm only going to use this like twice a year) I'm looking at the Bell Sport 3 at saferacer.com for $299 or the Zamp RZ-5 at soloracerdotcom for $357. Both of these helmets say they are Snell 2005 & FIA approved. I'm leaning towards the Zamp due to the graphics so it could serve as a wall-hanger in the garage when I'm not using it and for the years after it is no longer approved. Is there anything bad about the Zamp that might change my mind?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    There are some existing threads about this but essentially you pays your money and makes your choice. There are of course reasons why you can spend 3x+ what either of these helmets cost. But there also reasons why you wouldn't drive a convertible without a roll bar on the track :)

Essentially all Snell 2005 helmets have passed tests, so you are good with any of them. However what you are paying more for in general is lightness - in a 30G impact that 1.5lb heavier helmet adds 45lbs weight to your head over a lightweight helmet. This is important if you are in a race with belts, and hans and fireproofs etc.

It sounds like you are comfortable with the risks associated with track driving in a convertible with regular belts, therefore I'd say it doesn't make much difference. That said I've never heard of Zamp :) HMS motorsports my local race car shop recommends a bunch of helmets, for example the Bell Pyrotect Helmet (SA 2005) at 248$ http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/racing-apparel/bell-gear/pyrotect, or the HJC AR 10 @3.4lbs at $299 http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/racing-apparel/hjc/ar-10

My number 1 recommendation is go and try one on - it needs to be snug so you head doesn't bounce around inside it - your biggest risk in what you do is helmet to helmet contact if you are running with a passenger or hitting the steering wheel.

For me Bell helmets don't fit my head well, and with HJC I was between sizes, one was a little big and the next down was too tight for me. I chose an Arai GP5 because it fit me nice and snuggly and I know quite a few guys who have had big crashes safely wearing them. You head is unique go try one on that fits, that's the really important thing, but 300$ will buy a perfectly sensible helmet.

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Keep this in mind. What might feel like a slight pressure point when you try a helmet on for a minute or so can become a throbbing headache after just a few minutes on track. Make sure the helmet is really comfortable, but snug, when you try it on.

4. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I would stick with Bell or Simpson. The Bells are a little too tight compared to Simpson for my head shape. I suggest a carbon fiber(kevlar) helmet, more expensive but much easier on the neck.

Do not keep the helmet in the garage. I have had premature deteriation of the linings in garage kept helmets (maybe FL humidity?) Also Dogs and cats like to chew on helmet interiors after they get stinky from sweat.

As previously mentioned helmet fit has to be tight.

Finally, a sign I saw in a motorcycle shop when helmet laws first went in "IF YOU HAVE A $10 HEAD WEAR A $10 HELMET"; Moral being that a good helmet, firesuit and restraints can save on hospital and funeral costs.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Perfectly sensible advice from the Daytona 'veteran' :)

The best advice is to try a helmet before buying it. As Dan said different helmets fit different shaped heads better or worse and the only way to be sure is by trying them out.

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +1 and Dan KNOWS his stuff!

Visit a local shop and be fitted. My first helmet ever was a Bell M2 (mail order) felt good to me due to my inexperience, little did i know it was NOT properly fit (it was too big technically). Second time around i had a shop send me about $3k in helmets because certain 'exotics' are not available locally.

7. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I have a friend who swears by Aria helmets after he took a pretty big rock to the head in an open wheel car. What should have cracked the helmet only dented it and knocked him out....no concussion or anything. The Arai's design probably saved his life, and he doesn't buy anything else.

So check them out, they have some cool designs!

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I've found that helmets are differently shaped inside depending on the manufacturer, buying one off the net carries a large likelyhood that you'll have a helmet that doesn't fit well.

9. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I believe that the Zamps are made by Bell. Lots of great advice posted above.

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #10 fluque, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
    As others said. Try different helmets at a local store. Pick one that feels right and wear it for 10 min with a balaclava if you are planning on using one. I recommend using a single eye opening balaclava both for safety (if its nomex) and absorving sweat. Helmets should have a snug fit but make sure you are comfortable in it for more than a couple of minutes. Also choose a helmet with a bigger eye port size if it's to be used at club events.

Buy an entry level model from a recognized brand like Bell, Simpson, etc. I wouldn't buy a helmet for the graphics, fit is the most important variable. You can later custom paint the helmet or put some decals to break the solid paint.

11. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'm going to have to find a knowledgeable helmet shop somewhere in my area. Oh, and just to be clear - I'm not really "tracking" a convertible without a roll bar. I'll be driving it on a track at an FCA event at what amounts to "touring" speed or about what some would call "spirited" road driving. If I was actually going to push the car I'd think about it a little - and then get a different car! (And a 3-layer suit, and a fire system, and...)

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  13. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    As has been stated, the best thing is to try on a bunch of different helmets from different companies. They all fit a little different. I have a sparco helmet which I am happy with, recently I have been really impressed with HJC's helmets. From their bottom of the line Ar-11 to their CF ones. Those are really light. Get one that fits you well and is light. The difference in even a half a pound is noticeable and helps reduce fatigue. Also if you are riding open air be sure to get a darker visor.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

The problem is that "between 80 and 90% of drivers are wearing helmets 2-3 sizes too big".....

15. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #15 MBFerrari, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017