F1 Star Lewis Hamilton Champions Cause Of Scottish Pro-Alcohol Group | FerrariChat

F1 Star Lewis Hamilton Champions Cause Of Scottish Pro-Alcohol Group

Discussion in 'F1' started by jk0001, Feb 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://medindia.net/news/F1-Star-Lewis-Hamilton-Champions-Cause-Of-Scottish-Pro-Alcohol-Group-46770-1.htm

The reigning king of Formula One racing, Lewis Hamilton has joined a campaign against the Scottish Government's proposed crackdown on alcohol.

In a move calculated to pile pressure on ministers, drinks firm Diageo has hired Hamilton to promote its message of encouraging responsible alcohol use rather than the "Draconian" and "blanket" approach of the Government.

The driver, in an exclusive interview with Scotland on Sunday, said it was better to make people aware of the dangers of alcohol, as "no one likes being told what to do".

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill has declared war on Scotland's booze culture, proposing to raise the minimum age for buying drink in off-licences from 18 to 21, introduce alcohol-only checkouts in supermarkets, set minimum prices and end two-for-one deals.

There are also plans to make pubs and clubs pay a 'social responsibility fee' for the policing of antisocial behaviour in hotspot areas.

The SNP is expected shortly to unveil its final proposals for tackling problem drinking, which is estimated to cost Scotland 2.25 billion pounds a year.

But the drinks industry and supermarkets are vigorously opposed to many of the proposals.

Diageo, maker of Johnnie Walker and owner of brands such as Guinness and Smirnoff, last night revealed that 24-year-old Hamilton had joined its campaign.

Hamilton said: " We're not telling people not to drink, just to make sure that they make the right decisions. There are some youngsters out there for whom I'm a sort of role model so hopefully they'll look at me and see what is good for me can be good for them."

"I'm in a position where I am able to get a positive message out and, hopefully, youngsters will listen to what I have to say because behaving responsibly with alcohol is a part of my life too," the Scotsman quoted him, as saying.

Hamilton, however, was careful not to directly criticize the Scottish Government.

Rachael Robertson, head of government affairs at Diageo, said: "Lewis Hamilton is a big role model. We can use the skills we employ to sell our product to push the message of responsible drinking, to change attitudes towards alcohol and its misuse."

A 10,000-signature petition has been handed in to parliament, objecting to the ban on selling alcohol to under-21s and there is an online campaign to fight the proposals.

Retailers are also preparing to take the Scottish Government to court over plans to introduce a minimum pricing policy.

Source-ANI
    TAN/M

2. minichamps

minichamps Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    hmmm all part of sponsorship.....

3. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    Haha could you guys imagine Kimi doing this, it would be hilarious!

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is Hambonen old enough to drink? :D

5. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do you hide pictures of Lewis and Jenson under your bed mattresses?

6. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No but I have a few of your wife. :D

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Which is in many ways worse.

8. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Id imagine Jenson is printed on his pillow (with tissues nearby ;) ) and Lewis is on his dartboard.

9. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #9 jk0001, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    I really want to know is what does your post have to do with Lewis Hamilton and the Drinking issue discussed in the articial ?? Or are you just trolling and causing personal attacks.

10. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Whats up with everyone ganging up on Jim?

Back on topic.

It's Scotland, drinking is a sport there. This is coming from a Scotsman. Craig Ferguson claims it is the only thing to do in Scotland... but it isn't.... Hamilton won't really do a thing, he's an Englishman....

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He thrives on it...besides it passes the time till the racing starts...

Only messing Jimbo...;)

12. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    LOL!

Good thing i'm not married, don't want to even think about taking that dive for another 10 years, at least! Looks like those soiled pics of ol' Jense and Lewis will have to hold you over till then buddy! :D

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    He's over 18 (which is the legal age in the civilised world! ) :D

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Finally something for Europeans to whine about that the US has had in effect and dealt with for years.

15. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I have mentioned Hamilton in the post and also a dart board, which you will see in many establishments in the UK which serve alcohol. Does that count? :D

16. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    I don't think Lewis knows the reality of the alcohol issues in Scotland. I deal with the problems daily and I think a more hard-line approach may be necessary.

Harry

17. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #17 jk0001, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    Id imagine Jenson is printed on his pillow (with tissues nearby )

I guess you just happened to forget that you posted this. What does this happen to do with the articial? Thats not a professional way to portray your self.

18. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    OK Maybe you have got me there, although i could have been referring to Button as he was another British driver, who is known for liking a drink (ie he would be a good ambassador for a pro-alcohol group) and that you have tissues nearby because you are upset that he might not be in F1 this year?