Talk to me about colors | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Talk to me about colors

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Nov 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim,

Blue isn't bad, but why not paint it it's original color?

Regards,

Art S.

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #52 aidanparte, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim

I'm not sure what shade of blue these cars are painted in, but they both look great, particularly the 412. Very classy.

Aidan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    That looks like Sera blue metalic to to me

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #54 blkprlz, Jan 19, 2009
  5. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Bruce

Thanks for that,amazing. So this is the 'one and only' original Marrone, I have never seen it looking so good !

Do you know the colour code number ?

Best for now, Mike.

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey Mike,

Label as it shows on the trunk sill......FER 800/C (Marrone Met.)
    Another ref. # is 2.443.221--not sure if this is Metallic version

Bruce

7. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks yet again Bruce, I'll go check on mine tomorrow. It's still at the electrical shop but will hopefully be back next week and in time for some serious South African summer driving !

Best for now...

Mike.

PS: At the risk of getting political and going way OT: I've Just been watching the inaugural address from the 44th President of the United States of America, live from Washington.

A dignified, humble and extremely powerful speech on a truly momentous day for your great Country.

You should be proud.

8. Pedro

Pedro Karting

Nov 17, 2008
    Full Name:
    P Licious
    That would be enough to convince me to stay with the original Marrone color. Gorgeous!

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #59 judge4re, Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks!

The other two are Rosso Corsa, you can see some of the contrast in this picture (best one I have on this computer).

10. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Bruce

Well I've checked the trunk sill of my 365 and no sign for the paint code. I suppose that it's a small plaque that I'm looking for ?
    In any event, I'm pretty sure that there was only one Marrone anyway, so it has to be the FER 800/C.

Mike

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Mike,
    I believe that #2.443.221 is correct for your 365, & I'm pretty certain that it isn't metallic, but the FER 800/C definately is. On the 400's, the paint code in on a yellow sticker, & they're missing more often than not.
    Bruce

12. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No sticker but the paint certainly looks like metallic to me. She was resprayed back in 1991 and the original colour was possibly 'upgraded' then, I don't know. I'll check with the paintshop nearer the time.
    Back in June last year, when I was agonising over the colour thing, I hated the brown...it just had to go !
    The paintshop owner gave me a piece of advice as I kept going back to him switching from red, to blue, to silver etc.
    "Stick with your first choice, that was instinct talking and it came from the heart", he said.
    Well, my first choice was ditch the brown and go Rossa Corsa, boring and predictable and 're-sale red' I know, but it rocks !
    But you know what? Time has mellowed me, and I am really beginning to like the original Maronne after all.
    That might have something to do with the hundreds of hours spent working on the car, perhaps a bonding type thing has happened.
    Maybe I'm just getting old but I like the understated elegance of the Marrone; its not 'in your face' in the way that red can sometimes be.
    Marrone is growing on me and its not a bad feeling.
    The images on this post have helped me a very great deal, and I'm grateful.
    I haven't completely made up my mind yet, and don't have to. It's high summer here in The Cape, driving time, and I'm in no mood to say farewell to the car for another 6 weeks whilst the paint guys do their thing.
    So I'll wait for now, and mellow some more.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

That's what I would figure...

Oh, No!!

Very nicely put, Mike. & if you want to go unnoticed in a F-car, this is the model & color to do it in. Not all Ferraris have to be Rosso Corsa.......
    Wait for re-spray until you are definately satisfied w/your decision, you're the one thats going to have to live w/it.

Bruce

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post their opinions and pictures on this thread. To answer some questions about color choice, here goes. Why would I like to change colors from the original color? Well blue is my favorite color and the first car I had was blue, but that was many years ago. With the purchase of this car, trust me, there will be no more cars for me for a long time, so this is kind of a chance to get a blue car! The question also comes up about originality, should we, or are we responsible to keep these cars original? Well maybe, and while changing colors would result in a change it is not a permanent change. Another issue that makes it tough to pick a color is I don't live close to the paint guy. It would be easy to go look at some color samples and pick one. While digital photography is cheap, fast, and easy I don't think it always gives accurate color rendention. Just look at the "blue Ferrari" thread in the show room section. There are probably 30 pictures of cars painted TDF blue and they all look very different. Aiden's post #52 is a very nice blue on the 400, but once again there are 4 pictures and the color looks different in each one, how much of that is due to different lighting conditions and haw much is due to the digital camera? If you look at the marrone on posts #21 and #54 in this thread it is very different than the marrone in post #4 (the Gentry Lane car). Once again thanks to all of you for your time.

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #65 brettski, Jan 22, 2009
    keeping in mind that the factory silver has more 'pop' (like the wheel in the last pic, not the 400 pictured), i think a true, bright Silver really works...
    or, again, a dark blue. specifically Blu Ferrari, the colour of the 365 in Original V-12. you can just get a glimpse of the carpets under the wheel.
    the think the silver/seat/carpet combination in the 3rd pic would be true to the 70's and be very contemporary at the same time.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Jim,

Light plays the largest role in regards to color rendition/perception, compare my pix on #54. 1st pic was taken about an hour after sunrise w/palm trees shading the car for the most part (the front wheel got a hint of sunshine) vs. the following 3 taken around high noon & only partially shaded. Also, surrounding environs/reflections effect color perception (i.e., snow!) Certain colors will render greater dynamics than others. Black always appears black, the same goes for white, & silver to a lesser degree. Certain blues/greens/others can contain anywheres from sutle to drastic differences depending on lighting & environmental influences. The decision you may want to consider is whether you want your car to look the same no matter what the condition. It's definately a big decision, happy hunting.

Bruce

17. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    #67 ONSilver, Jan 22, 2009
    My first post on Ferrari Chat, and hallo to all, I have enjoyed reading and learning much over the past few years.

Seventeen years after my 7 year affair with my 1979 308GTS (#29195 - where are you now, last sold in Ontario?), I was able to have another love - the red and cream leather 1987 Mondial Cab 3.2, courtesy of Steve Maman in Montreal, who was great, as is the car. Have had it for about 5 years now. Has about 31,000 kms now, still like new.

And last year, fortunately was able to get a gorgeous (to my eye) unmolested 1986 412 - metallic blue and crema leather. It has about 50,000 kms now, and is also like new.

The 365/400/412 cars are timeless classics, and so under rated.

Which makes them still affordable, for now.... And like Enzo, when you get on in years, it still fits like a glove (so to speak) without it appearing you're trying too hard.

So, my vote is blue and cream, a dynamite combo IMO. And fortunately, even when a bit dirty, still looks great. Love the black and tan, but after several black cars, it is just too much work to keep up. Unless you have a personal car valet on staff, together with the pool boy, housekeeper, maid, and butler, and the time to supervise them. Which I do not.

Cheers!

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Oliver,
    i'm so glad you 'dropped in', as i did not know how to contact you after misplacing your business card. we met and spoke breifly at the concours this past summer, at which time i mentioned some of the work my shop had done to your 412 before you acquired it from a good friend of mine.
    i'll post some additional pictures of your magnificent car a little later when i'm at the shop.

feel free to contact me through my website for additional pictures and info regarding the service performed on your car.
    it's great you've joined us. welcome aboard,

brett, www.granturismo.ca

19. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Thanks Brett! I do remember meeting you at the FCA 2008 concours. Amazingly, at the very first FCA concours I have ever been to as a participant, the 412 won a Platino award. I was delighted. Would love to see more pictures if you have the time to post them. The car, btw, is running like a dream.

Cheers!

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #70 brettski, Jan 24, 2009
    Congratulations on your success at the FCA meet and i'm happy to hear that all our work on the ignition system is still delivering good results.
    we also changed the power steering pump, the power mirror on the door and a bunch weather stripping and seals.

your Mondial looks to be in equally stunning shape.

notice the changes to the interior ?

touch base with me at the shop sometime for more details.

brett

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hey ONSilver what color is your 412? In the picture where you show the interior of your car is that an STI next to your car? Brett what do you think of this color of blue?

22. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    If you go with a metallic, and especially if you go with a silver, go Base/Clear and not single stage. The aluminum in the metallic is exposed to the atmosphere in a single stage, and will corrode in time, no matter what you do. With silver, this is even more important as silver actually absorbs ultraviolet light, thus the protective properties of the clear are needed even more.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Oliver's car is Blu Chiaro...and it's a nice colour for the more modern 412. i would certainly not recommmend it for a 365 w/chocolate interior though.

thanks for the advice Bill. i can only hope that is what Jim decides on...i've been pulling for silver for a while. it would absolutely be my choice.
    i really wish i could produce some pictures that really capture how stunning the silver of the wheel looks with the leather and carpets of Jim's car.
    the combo really looks phenomenal in the shop and outside but just isn't translating as well into digital pics.

24. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    These "colour" threads are always hard to comment on because pictures lie...the colours never look the same in real life...................SOoooooooo, i decided to look at the car in person...I am only 40 minutes from Brett's shop, Gran Turismo (a class act, by the way)................I arrived at GT at 11:00 am today and the shop was plugged full of Ferraris.....I guess the word is getting around......these are the guys that tackled my Lancia Thema 8.32 (Ferrari 308 powered) last summer when everyone else including FoO refused to accept the challenges of such a rare car...........I digress....

........the interior of the subject car is a beautiful dark brown leather......IMO it clashes with every blue i brought with me......Blue and tan OK but not this dark interior....it would look like a ghetto faded black interior against a blue IMO........so silver or darker grey.....hmmmmn.....Darker grey would look nice if the interior was tan (see all the previous pics in this thread and tan works)....dark brown = fail withdark grey exterior.....

.....on to silver......WOW this one really works great....against the silver exterior the brown pops as a very rare and exculsive rich colour....does not look like a worn or faded black, but rather as something uber special and rare....i looked at a couple of different silvers and I must say in my opinion the silver on the wheels that Brett has stacked up on the wall shelf are a nice bright sparkling silver that sets the dark brown off perfectly...

If it was my car (by the way...is it for sale? I am looking)....it would be silver!!!!!!

Beev

25. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks for dropping by today Beev, it's always a pleasure...and thanks for the kind words. for those who haven't, and may never, have the pleasure of meeting this guy, i feel bad for you. he is a hard core car addict with a very cool and diverse collection of cars...and man, can he drive !

and his choice of the word " rich " to describe the silver over chocolate was perfect. i wish i had said that...