2004 911TT vs 2005 C2S Coupe | FerrariChat

2004 911TT vs 2005 C2S Coupe

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by conscom, Jan 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I hope someone can give me some guidance as to which one is the better buy. The 2004 TT has 21,000 mi. local 1 owner with 6-spd, heated seats, alum/chrome pkg, Bose & CD chgr, sportseats, nav, pkg assist, no accidents Asking C$80,000 (US$66,000) VS.
    2005 C2S has 30,000 mi. local 1 owner with 6-spd, xenon hdlites, 19" stock "lobster claw" whls, Bose. Asking C$66,000 (US$54,000).

I hear that Turbos can incur higher maintenance cost but....? Any opinion would be most appreciated as this is the first Porsche buy for me.

2. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    May or may not matter to you, but the turbo has a true dry sump vs. "integrated dry sump" bold face lie actually wet sump on non turbo versions ... the engine is much more solid on the turbo but I can imagine if something goes wrong with it might be spendy ... probably true of both cars actually and I've heard of plenty of non-turbo engines grenading/oil leaks, etc. ... haven't heard as many problems with turbos but Rennlist is a great source for this question/info.

I've got close to doing this "again" and I would go with the turbo ... seems to be the concensus on Rennlist when I contemplated it ... fun cars either way.

Also the turbo has all wheel drive which some luv but I hate but no way around it with turbo unless you step up to the GT2. If you go skiing/go up to the mountains in snow that's a big plus with the turbo :).

Cheers

3. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    +1, and the motor in the turbo will soon be worth more than the whole sale value of the 997. But that is not the only reason, turbos are the way to go on the modern porsches. The 996tt motor is one of the best motors ever made, period.

4. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    The Turbo motor is essentially a GT1 motor, that means its built to last and will out live any none turbo motor though I prefer rear drive over all-wheel.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#5 Kds, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Hello Gary.......

Me again. Heard you had snow.......heh.

These are 2 totally different kinds of cars as you know.

The C2S is the better buy IMHO, especially if you will put on less than 10KM per year, over the next 2-3 year period.....what is the color combo of the C2S ?

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  7. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    As Kds pointed out, two different cars. That said, if you like the looks of the 997C2S...never, never test drive the 996TT..;) Like one rennlister puts it...NA Porsches are like turbo ones with infinite lag...:p

8. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for all your valuable comments. The 2005 C2S is seal gray with black int. Options are minimal. My fiancee "needs" heated seats , she says! Taht being said, the market here seems to indicate that the 2004 TT is a better buy as the price is less than 50% of the orig. MSRP. I do like the 997 style better but it's subtle improvements. How important is having PASM? I/she intends to drive it no more than 6-8,000 KM per year at best as we still have our SUV for skiing, drifting in the snow, etc.
    Hey, Kds, wouldn't the TT now hold its value better now? Just nervous pushing higher from my original budget.

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #9 Testacojones, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Turbo. If not then try to find a 997S with the X51 option, my brother has it on his and it's pretty fast.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'm not big on the 996TT resale values holding up simply because these cars are getting long in the tooth now.........at $80K IMHO he's about $10K overpriced in today's market.

Basic maintenance is really similar in cost on both cars....problem is......with the turbo you may find yourself on the gas more (boost is addictive), which means you are on the brakes more.....which means you also are using the clutch more......etc.....etc.....

11. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    I'm not big on the Seal Grey metallic. Not that it is a bad color, but it seems like so many of these cars over the last 7-8 years have been ordered in this color. The dealer lot is almost depressing with all the dark blues and greys. Just seems like the mid life trying to look conservative and inconspicuous color. It is especially out of place on the turbo and GT models.

12. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The '04 TT is arctic silver/blk int.with sports seats & full leather ,etc. Dealer appears negotiable. Maybe add new chrome/black wheels later??

13. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Is this the BMW Store car?

14. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Affirmative.Any additional info would be greatly appreciated as buying my first Porsche.

15. Likemystoppie?

Jan 15, 2009
    Clever-land
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Conscom-

As a sales manager for a Porsche dealership (I always am on Rennlist- A LOT, like, I live there!) send me the VIN's and I'll check the cars out for you.

Personally, the 997 is a much better car. Better put together, better looks, better overall value. Keep in mind the 996 market is still dropping MORE rapidly then the 997 market.

Having said that, one of the reasons I prefer the 997 over the 996 is the way the car DRIVES. I like the steering rack and brakes better and overall feedback as compared to the 996.

The 996 Turbo is a GREAT car and an excellent buy. But I prefer NA cars to Turbo charging or Super Charging. - that's just me. You might prefer the AWD for all that snow you experience.

How are you going to drive/own the car?

Oh, you can email me at my personal email as I'm not sure what would happen if I post my work email here.

[email protected]

Cheers,

Chris

16. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    A (996) 911 turbo may not be perfect, but it is still the flagship Porsche model to most people. It was something special in its day, and still is. Top Gear rated it the second best car in the last 100 years, and it only lost to the (ringer) Jag E-Type cuz they are British! And Clarkson HATES Porsches, so for the turbo to take second...you know it is a special car.

A C2S is just another 911.

17. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What about a 2003 996 C4S Artic Silver, 6-spd.? Basic options - Xenon hdlites, heated & memory seats, Bose, all leather, orig. 26,000 mi(42,000 km) one or two US owners and no apparent body work. Asking C$54,000. Looking for a weekender and maybe try it on the track someday.

18. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    In 996 terms, I'd stick to the GT3 or the Turbo. GT3/GT3RS for track fun and weekend sprints...a bit raw and doesn't have the fluffy stuff. Turbo and AWD makes it a great daily and fast too. Has lots of fluff to pamper as well.

19. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    There seem to be better values in C4S' with lower kms than that out there now. Of course mileage isn't everything, but it is usually a safe indicator of condition...

Sorry, I don't know anything for certain about the Turbo you're considering and I wouldn't want to post any misinformation.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you would go out and DRIVE a Turbo......you would stop asking these stupid questions.

A NA 911 is a great sportscar.......a Turbo is a legend

I could never go back to a NA 911......

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There is a $160k FULLY optioned 996TT I would die for.
    X50 option (more bulletproof HP) Aero package, wheels.....
    $50k.
    996 will go down in history as the "Lexus" Porsche. And maybe it was. Not the TT.
    The irony is that the 996 GT2 was probably the most wicked/diabolical factory street Porsche.

22. Likemystoppie?

Jan 15, 2009
    Clever-land
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely. It is the flagship. But when compared to a 997 C2S; sorry ain't gonna happen.

People (general public) look at and identify with the 997 over the 996. Sales have proven it. Resale values have proven it. And so have the Journalists; the 997 is a MUCH better car over all.

On top of that, the 997S is still the current model- minus the new DFI car. But it's still the same chassis; at least for the next couple years. The 996's will continue to plummet.

Get a good clean 996 Turbo on the cheap for sure. But you can get a smok'n deal on a CPO C2S as well. Driveability. Reliability.Fit and finish. Classic '911' look. PASM. Bixenons. 19"s. 3.8L

All the right reasons to get a slick 911.

Now, compare the 997mkI to a 997mI Turbo, or the new MkII DFI cars; that's another whole ball of wax. lol