Ferrari 575 M Superamerica, how bad was that top? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 575 M Superamerica, how bad was that top?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DrStranglove, Jan 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Having heard horror stories about the top on the Ferrari 575 M Superamerica, I was wondering if anyone had ever gotten it to work well or are the rumors all BS?

2. sir-t

sir-t Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    D/A/CH
    There was grigio 575SA sitting in the shop near my home forever with a lot of troubles, top included. usually i have to tendency to blame the guy sitting in the drivers seat but ...
    Best Tob

3. dongtam67

dongtam67 Rookie

Dec 3, 2004
    Good question as I am looking at buying one. I haven't heard any horror stories, but if their are some I'd rather hear them now!

4. FLA VPA

FLA VPA Rookie

Jan 12, 2009
    Tampa Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Vince Assini
    I agree, it is a good question. I am also in the market for a SA. In fact, any information about the SA, both pros and cons would be appreciated.

For what it is worth, I am new to the forum, just joined today.

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    met at buddy for lunch in his sa, parked it under a tree with the top down, was there for a few hours at least. climbed in, put the top up and we were doused in all kinds of dirt and leaves. don't park the car with the top down under a tree, or better yet bring a leafblower with you to blow the dust out first.

6. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    No problems with mine!

7. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan

Nor mine - given that it takes less than 10 seconds to put the roof up (or down) - I never leave mine parked with the roof open.

Avoids any issues of anything collecting on the inside of the roof and protects the interior of the car, especially the leather - no brainer really !!

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

That top is a $50,000 replacement.

Acorn fell from a tree, you say, and cracked the glass? Here's the fix: $50,000. You'll need to replace the entire thing because just the glass cannot be replaced.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #9 Sfumato, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    Mine was fine, save for the acorns/leaves. People said it would trap water. Ummm, if it's raining, the interior would already be soaked since top down. There is a tiny Leather cover for inside of top, a tonneau, to keep leaves out. Stupid, since the top is the ease of use that makes it cool. All CF and photochromic glass, so not cheap.
    Actually, you can replace the glass only, but looking at the curve of rear window, I'd say it may be difficult to make. I should have bought all the spares I could get, Concours later on will be a ***** :) I could help.

10. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    Any clown willing to drop $50,000 on a glass top is a ******** idiot. I know of a few glass shops that would quote you in the 4 figure range and still be laughing all the way to the bank for ripping off the rich Ferrari guy.

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Is it possible that you have no idea what you are talking about? The last photo-chromic piece I specced was +/-$17,000usd, and it was FLAT!
    Can I have name of your vendor?

Tritone

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    LOL! I don't think there is any doubt.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    If I needed a new top, I would be *very* careful where I parked it at the country club. I hear those tops tend to attract golf balls ;)

14. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    $27,897.31 installed for glass replacement at FOS due to an errant rock. Luckily it was only cracked as it is a 90-120 day production time.

15. sir-t

sir-t Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    D/A/CH
    Well, this should be the explanation for my case ;)

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I have a 612 OTO - do my car and the SuperAmerica have the same top, or has the technology evolved?

I've had no problems with the 612's glass over about 5,000 miles. IMO there isn't all that much difference between the dark and light settings, which I found a bit disappointing.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    The opacity doesn't change much, but the heat/UV changes a lot. Noticeably here in TX, I think Alex noticed in AZ too.

18. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Yes the OTO and Super tops are the same tech in the glass.

19. efe360

efe360 Formula Junior

May 19, 2008
    barcelona
    Full Name:
    F

No problems. Only nice sensations.

20. Contender

Contender Rookie

Mar 13, 2008
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tommy Hawk
    I have had my SA for 2+ years and had no problems with the top up or down. I was quoted 23K for a replacement by FOA I suppose that is some money but then isn't ownership expensive?

21. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    My dealer told me that he had recently replaced two tops at a cost of around $25k each.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    can someone expand on the opacity of the electrochromacy please? i was under the impression that it's a significant difference - is this not the case? will it go total-black?

23. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #23 WCH, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    "can someone expand on the opacity of the electrochromacy please? i was under the impression that it's a significant difference - is this not the case? will it go total-black?"

The transition between the darker and lighter settings is not instantaneous, seems to me to take half a minute or so. I had imagined that the roof would transtion from almost transparent to almost opaque and was surprised that the difference between dark and light is almost subtle. In my 612, the roof will not go total black. The difference between lighter and darker is similar to the difference between light tinted and somewhat darker tinted car windows, if that helps at all.

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    bobafett - if you have the august forza, on page 27 there are photos of the roof on the darkest and lightest settings.

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks very much, I'll consult that.