Winter Spotters | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Winter Spotters

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'm sure you won't go into detail, but perhaps you'll see me. I'm probably the only VUE in the area thats silver with the chrome tail lights

2. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you see Squad 365, give a honk. Don't forget to remind me if I stop you!!

3. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The squad I got the picture of is 358. If I see you'll I'll give you a honk, and I'll try not to give reason to pull me over

4. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #54 SaturnVUEguy, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Yes, and for good reason...

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd say that is an exotic. And I'm glad they are very rare: Using military vehicles for civilian use is just about the dumbest idea imaginable.

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Why the H1 hate? I personally love em, great in snow.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hate every SUV: You can't see around them. They're driven by soccer moms at 30 mph doing a milk run, they use up 4 parking spaces at the mall and if one hits me in the Ferrari, I'm done.

9. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'm just about the complete opposite SUV driver. I do not take it easy on my car at all, and I'm usually the one weaving through traffic. I used to park where I would take up multiple spots, but that would always be way out at the end of the parking lot, and I'm over that with the VUE now anyway.

ANYWAY, I love the original Hummers, I just don't like the H2 or H3. And if its good enough for our military, why isn't it good enough for the public? Aside from tanks - that would be a BAD idea on streets

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto, and for most people they're not a necessity; I think it's just a matter of trying to keep up with the neighbors!

"Stupid is as stupid does"!

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I have to snicker when I see them out in heavy snow, stuck in traffic with everyone else.
    Really, what's the point?

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    One more SUV hater :). So big, poor handling and usually driven by people who think they are invincible.

13. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I totally agree with you on this one. I have no idea how many 4x4 trucks or SUVs I blow past in the snow, in my FWD VUE

14. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    +1, not to mention gas mileage is a *****... not that it's much better in a Ferrari, but still it's like 4 or 5 mpg.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #65 tifosi12, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    If you use the SUV as its name suggests: Sports vehicle, racing, towing boats, going off road up the side of a mountain, then I'm all happy. But that's not what they're used for. It is the bling bling crowd and soccer moms taking them through downtown traffic and to shopping malls.

BTW: Has anybody watched the Anthony Bourdain episode where he is in Egypt? Those Bedouins of today drive their SUVs through the desert. Now that's more like it!

16. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Lots of hate in this post. We need to remember, its not the vehicle, but the driver. I have seen as many idiots driving small cars as driving SUVs.

17. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So are plenty of other vehicles. The key is knowing how to drive them.

I do just fine in my winter beater Celica even in the worst of conditions.

18. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I use mine to cart myself, my wife, our 4yr old son, our 2 dachshunds and a bunch of crap just about every weekend. I wouldn't mind trading it in for a car, but with another baby on the way, it is nice to have this extra room. Not to mention that the higher roof makes it easier for me to get my son out of the car when he falls asleep back there, since I have a bad back.

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    HOGWASH; what other excuses can you come up with for owning a non-green machine? ;)

Somehow, most of us made it through the era when SUVs didn't exist, and 'station wagons' were no longer the norm. Hell, cell phones didn't even exist; how did we survive???

20. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    lol...actually, I keep telling my wife I want to trade the VUE in for something smaller, like a Mustang, but she will have nothing of that idea

21. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #71 JohnnyS, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    Is this really necessary? Like a Toyota is "green"? It may be greener, but not green.

People should drive what they like. Even gas guzzling Rolls, Lambo or Ferrari cars. ;)

Can we bring this thread back on topic?

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #72 tifosi12, Jan 10, 2009
    Small cars can be looked around for passing and if they hit me I have a realistic chance of survival. Also they don't take up multiple parking spaces.

My anti SUV stand has nothing to do with green. However the Ferrari is a green car: Just think about how often we drive them compared to a SUV.

Yes, I've been hijacking this thread, but then again how many spottings are you gonna do these days?

23. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Don't hate the SUV. Hate the people. :)

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    OK.

25. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #75 JohnnyS, Jan 10, 2009
    I get to see one every day.......however, being the one in my garage probably doesn't count. :( If I could turn my 328 into a daily driver, I would so it wouldn't really be "greener" as it gets about the same milage as my Suburban. But I can't fit 15-gallons of hot chilli in the back of the 328.:D

One could say that driving your 308, my 328 is actually substantially anti-green because we drive them to shows and other Ferrari events that could be viewed as unnecessary. Unlike driving a SUV to a store or other necessary place. However, that would be another thread. Cheers!