Your ideal Mondial? | FerrariChat

Your ideal Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by effer, Jan 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #1 effer, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently bought on eBay a set of rectangular headlights coming from a parted out Mondial T, which I would like to fit on my 3,2 because I don't really find the big rounded lights to be very nice.

As you certainly remember, for those who read my previous threads about my Mondial project, I mainly choose the 3,2 over the T for aesthetical reasons. So I am getting closer to my ideal Mondial,

what is yours?

My ideal Mondial:

red/tan coupe ( also like black/white coupe, blue/tan coupe )

side Ferrari shields

3,2 design ( with the euro front bumper ) except the rounded headlights

3,2 unassisted steering wheel

T rectangular headlights

T drivetrain, suspension and braking system.

+ ( lowering suspension, putting nice 18'' wheels, paint the lower black parts in red except the rear lower grille and ... )

Of course, I know that many people here only prefer 100% authentic Ferrari and would answer in a heart beat: 8, QV, 3.2 or T! Which is fine, but why not try to play the game if you don't mind?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    My Ideal Mondial

1. Purchased for 24k
    2. Insured for 50k
    3. Wrecked and 26,000 more cash in my pocket.... LOL....

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #3 snj5, Jan 2, 2009
    My ideal Mondial: the little black car I have had for 12+ years:
    1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Coupe, Nero with tan interior, ABS
    Engine:
    Ferrari 3.2 liter V-8 4v with 10.5:1CR Pistons, ported/polished heads, large intake valves, with port-matched manifolds to Weber 44DCNF carbs; Tubistyle OEM Euro racing s/s ceramic coated headers; electronic distributor with MSD (approx 320 flywheel hp on dyno); Kevlar clutch pack and pressure plate; High flow/high velocity airbox and airfilter; s/s ceramic coated exhaust with Ansa resonated tips
    High torque starter; Silicone coolant hoses
    Suspension:
    Speedline Ferrari OEM engineered 17x7.5f, 17x8.5r wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires ; Koni racing adjustable coil over shocks; s/s Teflon brake lines; Brembo drilled rotors
    Interior:
    Highest quality European square weave wool carpeting; STCorsa center aluminum a/c vent and anodized aluminum center switch panel; raised and angled headrests; Momo Cavallino steering wheel; Becker Monza AM/FM/CD/MP3 w/ dual amp and subwoofer; metallic gray tinted side windows
    Electrical:
    GT Autoparts single layer fuse box upgrade; rebuilt and uprated alternator to 110+ amps; Optima battery

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    A reliable one!

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Amen. But aside from that, I think a T coupe. Black over cream, or red over black.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My ideal Mondial...would be my car, with timing chains!!!!! and a clear bra for the front.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    #7 FasterIsBetter, Jan 2, 2009
    My ideal Mondial would be a 355 Spider. Just kidding. Well, actually not. I loved my '84 Mondi QV. Great running car, fun to drive, all that stuff. But, it was under-powered, boxy, and lacked some of the advances that make the 355 so special. Why a 355 and not a 360 or 430 or 599? Because the 355 was the last of the Ferraris that a shade tree mechanic like me can work on in a home garage.

Rock on, Mondial lovers!!

8. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    #8 MondialNeil, Jan 2, 2009
  9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Nice wheel, Neil!!!

10. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    snj5, you impress me! If you weren't that far from my place I'd beg you a ride! Wow! With that 320 hp do you feel your car is quicker than a stock T?

Can you do me/us a favor, and post pics of all your mods. Would be immensely interesting to create file of our cars that could inspire others. Wow, I only wish my Mondial will some day be as nice as yours! It is at least my goal!

You bet! Wow! Very nice car! Congrats! Pleeeeaaaaaaazzzzz, post more pics!!!

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    My Mondial t, with a motor conversion, i.e., a 355 (1995) engine and transmission.

Art

12. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Would a removable roll bar be doable? I think the Mondi cab would be a blast at the track!
    dave

13. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    A couple of years ago I saw a Mondial Cabriolet advertised for sale that had the rear seats removed and a roll bar installed. (The car was to be sold, however, with the seats reinstalled, as the ad stated that the roll bar was borrowed.) The ad that I saw did not include pictures.

14. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    There's a couple of threads where snj5 has shared the development of his car with us.
    Do a search. You'll really enjoy them and learn a bit too.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Mondial T, COUP, with Valeo transmission : Truly rare and a keeper, although would be a Euro in the US. SO, would have to get a villa in Italy :)

that would be perfect.

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks! I've never driven a t, but imagine they are close. I do think mine sounds a little better, is simpler and a wee bit lighter.

Most people are sick of how many photos posted of my little black car, and as Modeler said, they are in numerous threads that I have started. :)

In any case, most all Mondial owners have exceptional cars, and are a great group of folks.

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Art: you still have the T?

rik

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 Michael B, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Great little thread.

Ideal Mondial... Hmmmm...

Russ's is really good, and the perfection of Hank's is to be admired, and David's T coupe has a wonderful history too... I dunno all of the Mondis that I have gotten use to seeing here are all very neat. However I have my T because I truly adore it. And I cant say I would change much more on it than I have to date. So..

Mondial T, coupe please. With the assisted steering, ABS, adjustable suspension, Tubi and upgraded wheels to bring it up to date. An off color is always good, 300 HP seems like it will do quite nicely thank you. But there is one other thing I would like to have come along with the package...

When I leave the track (road course or even drag strip) this Mondial T coupe has a bunch of new-found respect from the masses (that it just passed or outran). I would think my ideal Mondial would have that respect from more of the uneducated as well.

That would truly be an ideal Mondial.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    An interesting thing that this thread brings out and exemplified by Michael's post is the enthusiasm that Mondial owners have for not only their cars, but other Mondials as well. That is the sine qua non of a true classic enthusiast car.
    What would be interesting is to get all of us together with our cars - we would all oogle the others, but at the end of the day we would all be happy to go home in our own. :)

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #20 hank sound, Jan 2, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Thanks for the kind words but truly, if there's any perfection here with Rachel, it is that she is perfect for me:)

As for that magnificent "off color", Prugna, I must say that it is my favorite color for a Mondial. It just seems to work so well with the Mondi's lines. As a matter of fact, the picture of the car that lit my fire of desire some years ago, was a Prugna t Cab at a show in Europe. At one point, years later, I flirted with the idea of a Prugna repaint for Rachel. To do it right, is a boat load of $. So what do I do? - - I gaze a photos of your stunning t coupe and the lone photo of that t Cab with my cat Cinder propped up by the old Mac lid:)

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #21 Michael B, Jan 2, 2009
    Well said Russ & Hank.

I was thinking about this thread... And I remembered this Mondi here... It could be the Ideal Mondial for lots of people!

Wheels, off color, good power, drop top, these are a few of my favorite things.

22. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Looks great, yes, I could call that an ideal Mondial (though I probably would go for stock wheels).

23. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    For sure we are true enthousiasts!

I think it would be a good idea to us to also show where we are today with our cars by showing pictures like a portfolio and to complete it by pictures of car before and a little text mentionning where you want to bring it.

24. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    How come you don't have these in your wish list?
    LOL!

25. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.