Petty Enterprises closes its doors | FerrariChat

Petty Enterprises closes its doors

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jk0001, Dec 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21068.html

It is a sign of the times in NASCAR that Petty Enterprises is to close its doors, laying off its remaining staff. The team is the oldest and most successful Cup team in NASCAR, with a history going back 60 years.

Founded by the late Lee Petty the team has won 10 NASCAR Cup titles and 268 race victories, and seven-time Cup champion Richard Petty is probably the most famous face the sport has ever had. The team has not won a championship since 1979 but the closure of the operation will be a huge symbolic blow for the sport

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sad that the NASCAR community turned their back on the Petty family like this (IF the France family had wanted to, they could have kept them around), but at the end of the day this is a performance business, and PE hasn't performed for years.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    True, team has been shopped around for some time.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sadly, this has been coming for a long while. Kyle never was a great driver, and he should have focused on running the team a long time ago and left the driving to some up-an-comers.

Really, the team lost focus completely with the death of Adam, and has been little more than a Victory Junction fund raising organization for years.

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I heard it was more of a merger at this point with GEM, they will run the #43 car with their other 3 cars. A sign of the times for that series, it is hard to believe all of the mergers in the past 6 months. It is even harder to believe that Robby Gordon is still our there as a single car owner/operator, fighting the good fight.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Robby's ability to find $$ has always amazed me.

7. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    PE wasn't owend by racers, but by an investment company. Their usual sole purpose is to sell at a profit and when not possible, dump at a loss to offset oither gains with no care for historical value.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Dead on, well said.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Those are my thoughts aswell and the loss of a Petty team is a very sad day for NASCAR. I despise what NASCAR has become, Big Bill must be rolling over in his grave, and Bill Jr. should be ashamed of himself but he's super rich so why should he care right - f'ing turd he is if you ask me..

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +100
    I personaly think his secret trust fund, hint hint, bankrolls his repair bills.

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Just another 20 or so teams to go...

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's a shame. Petty out of NASCAR is like Ferrari out of F1. Ironically, F1 seems to be headed down the same path as NASCAR, making some of the same mistakes, discouraging development and creating what amounts to a spec car series.

Jack

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Was a sad day when Adam died, but the Victory Junction camp is a blessing that came from it. The Petty's have helped hundreds of children live there dreams and I hope Kyle and Patty continue with it...

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1 very good analogy. most people laugh if you compare F1 and NASCAR, but there are a lot of (negative) structural similarities in the way the series are run.

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I hope that keeps going, it does so much for children battling cancer.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Had pit passes a few years ago at the Atlanta race.

A girl was standing in the pit crying out for Kyle who was already strapped into the car to sign her jacket that had his picture airbrushed on it. Crew chief said "kyle it's go time" to which he replied " bring the jacket over" A pit crew guy carried it over and kyle signed it. You don't see that level of connection to the fans in other sports especially on the field of battle.

Sad but like it was said sponsers are there to win not for charity.

I'd think kyle would be a better spokesperson/commentator than a driver and hope he steps into those shoes.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

some very good comments in this thread...most are on the mark.

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this however is not one of the better comments.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there aren't twenty teams left in NASCAR. Roush, Hendrick, Childress, Gibbs....that's really about it.