2 interesting GTO recreations for sale | FerrariChat

2 interesting GTO recreations for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by michal12, Dec 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    #1 michal12, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Descriptions are not entirely clear to me, one appears to be a replica while the other is a recreation (another vintage Ferrari used).
    Both looked very very good to me. In isolation that is.
    If you compare them, you spot many differences - e.g. 3 vents behind front wheel on the silver car, somehow different side windows. The red example appears to have a lot lower front end.

Not too sure what to think about them.

EDIT: maybe the differences are due to these cars "replicating" different series of original GTO?

http://www.racecar.com/carsinternational/stock/ferrari250gto.htm

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ferrari/250gto/563151.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    TWO beautiful 250 GTE 2+2s, S/N 3781 GT and 3873 GT had to die for this crap. So sad.
    Marcel Massini

3. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Did they really die, or are they just wearing their Halloween costumes?

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Can a moderator move this thread over to the official replica recreation thread?

Tom Wiggers

5. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Marcel, could you comment on visual accuracy of these recreations?

6. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    Recreation can't be interesting........

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Any cool fun to drive car can be interesting. It just may still be an affront to some peoples senses, and less of an affront to others. Whereas a rebodied fiero may not be interesting, period, although some have a northstar conversion which may make them interesting to drive once.

A recreation can be driven around town or thrashed on the track without fear of destrying a historic artifact. Lastly how many good cars were destroyed to make these recreations. A good car being one that would have been worth restoring when the job was done, as opposed to going to the scrap heap.

If we would get our head out of the sand, then an entirely new GTO could be built without having to use any old parts, old cars would not have to die. Classiche more or less does this anyway, pur sang does this too. Accepting real recreations would save a lot of older cars? The only people upset would be those who spent 20 mill on a 60's build GTO.

A question for the experts, of the 36 real GTO's how many are wearing their "real" bodies and have their original engines. nHow many are chassis and chassis plates giving lineage back to an "original" car which is mostly gone save a few provenance bits. Does anybody really know.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    The problem with the replicas is they soon become the only cars you see of that type or model.

For example, whenever I see a Shelby Cobra at a car event or going down the road, I assume it is a fake one. There have been so many fakes made, that it is as if there are no real ones in existence.

I'd hate to see that same thing happen to the 250 GTO or other great vintage Ferrari cars.

9. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Good point. I remember reading in an article by EVO Magazine about a bloke who has his "real" GTO refurbished. Apart from other modificatons, they put additional (non-original) sound proofing and better aircon vents in to the cabin.

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree. They should have made more of them. But since they didn't...

I agree that they are FAKE. I wonder if their driving enjoyment would be any less REAL ???

There is a car on E-Bay that has been offered for a while. It is a Healy 100-4 that has a LT-1 in it and reportedly was hot rodded with a small block and raced in the early 60s. I'm thinking Cobra. I'm sure that some people think mut. It would not effect my pride of ownership or enjoyment in any way.

I believe they could be fun.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I will have to check my files on #4115 but I believe this car was built by the owner,at the time,of the original #4115 who then proceeded to race it in historic Ferrari events in the UK and Europe without the judges catching on. He was finally cought in the act and I will have to check what the final outcome was. In any case it is as good a repro as can be found out there. The P2/3 repro owners have formed an organization to doccument their cars. Maybe the 250 GTO group should do the same thing. As I have said so many times, isn't it time to have a Ferrari repro organization to doccument these cars? just one man's opinion tongascrew

12. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Correct. Thats what it says in the ad. Apparently, the owner was banned from vintage racing in 1990s but now the car is allowed:

"...At that time it was not accepted that a rebodied correct car would run in the Vintage races or Milli's. Since then FIA has agreed to accept cars that meet very stringent requirements. S/N3873 in fact was inspected in 2005 by Jeremy Hall (FIA) representative England. He after a day long inspection gave the car its FIA passport allowing it to run in all vintage races and Milli's anywhere in the world."

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wish someone would buy s/n #5409 (my old 330) and rebody it as nicely. It's currently at a salvage dealer in CA, hopefully being kept inside.

Condemning all rebodies is ridiculous.

Yes, taking a perfectly-good or re-conditionable 330 2+2 or GTE and trashing it for a rebody can (I should say "could have been"-they're too expensive now) be considered a contemptible action.

However, rebodying a financially-unviable car, such as my old one, is preferable to breaking it up completely or letting it rust and deteriorate inwardly from disuse.

Everyone gains...the s/n is kept alive and rolling, the parts market gets more spares, a shop and employees get plenty of work, the guy with the money gets a cool new toy, and internet Ferrari-board members get another rebody to beetch about.

14. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    This was a fairly common conversion in the late 60's/early 70's when these cars were plentiful, and worth next to nothing. I used to work for a guy who had one- was terrifying and an utter blast to drive. You could light up the rear tires in any gear. If you keep an eye on eBay, you'll see them come up fairly frequently.

The silver car above has been featured in several previous threads- created by Vestley(?) I recall? as a substitute for the real GTO he owned, so as to negate the risk of racing the real one.- the FIA smacked his hand when they found out, but it does have papers.
    One interesting note, if the story is true- this car would satisfy condition ONE of building a recreation- that is, having a REAL one to work from. Many of the repros we see are obviously fake from the first glance because the are made from photographic research, and the shapes/details are hard to get right in three dimensions. My guess (and this is just a guess) is that if the builder did his job- if you placed the silver car next to the car it was modeled after, you would have a tough time telling them apart.

Personally, I think the red one is an obvious fake- the silver car I would love to own. It doesn't know it lacks a pedigree- it will simply enjoy being a beautiful and ripsnorting good ride.

15. GabyTR

GabyTR Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Spain
    hello, why the silver GTO FAKE has argetinian PLATES????? In Argentina we have that plates till 1996. And in the description they don´t say nothing about that.

Thanks and sorry for my little english¡¡¡¡¡¡

16. GabyTR

GabyTR Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Spain
    #16 GabyTR, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    And the plate numbers belong to a 1988 or 1989 in the capital of Argentina. ¿?¿¿?¿?

17. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd be happy to own the silver one, if the price was low enough - it looks pretty right to my eye. If it was cheap enough (i.e. less than the cost of it's parts) I could care less what it was, so long as it was reliable and fun to drive. I suppose I'm in the minority here.

18. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

"I'd be happy to own the silver one, if the price was low enough - it looks pretty right to my eye. If it was cheap enough (i.e. less than the cost of it's parts) I could care less what it was, so long as it was reliable and fun to drive. I suppose I'm in the minority here"
    I would be happy to own it also, despite its been re bodied.....

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #19 amenasce, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No murder because no original car gave its life for it, this is a recreation, and instead of fakes they should make more of these.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I agree.

22. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    +1