Dino Saga 081221 _ Last Saga | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 081221 _ Last Saga

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 081221 _ Last Saga

Hard to believe that I have been writing these Sagas for 3 ½ years. Been a fun project, made lots of friends around the world. I’ve sure learned a lot. I am a far better photographer and photo editor than I was. I also understand digital photography and the special cases it represents compared to film photography. Sure is a long way from the Box camera with 126 black and white film I started with as a 10 year old. I shot, developed and contact printed using the sun as a light source. Graduated to a rangefinder 35mm in my 20s. Ended film with a 35 – 135mm zoom lens on a Pentax SLR shooting slides when I was 65. Waited until digital performance and price made sense. 10x zoom with 3 - 10Mp sensors gives you tremendous flexibility for anything going on the Internet or printed on 8 x 10 paper. Really learned how to use everything available in $80 PhotoStudio. All of the traditional printing functions work the way they should. And you have a full screen image to work with. Magnifier, Rotate, Crop, Contrast, Brightness, Color and Size are critical. All the other functions are just gravy but are welcome. Editing can improve almost every shot. Those with magazine covers in their dreams can go for DSLRs, $500+ lenses and PhotoShop. The rest of us just smile.

The writing has gotten easier if not better. I have done a lot of technical writing in the past but nothing quite like this. I wrote copy for ads and full text for instruction manuals. Electronic instruments and industrial control systems for the Semiconductor industry. Dry stuff and I always had an advertising department to put together photos, drawings and text. I would do the final testing (could someone use it?) of manuals and give technical approval of ads. In the Sagas I have total control and putting captions on photos has been the most fun. Haven’t seen anyone on FChat do that and I hope that I have prompted a smile or a groan on occasion.

I am really running out of steam now. Lungs are pretty well shot. I last drove the Dino five weeks ago to get it washed. Did OK. Then two weeks later I rode shotgun with Candi and took pictures. OK again. Tried driving Saturday and couldn’t stop coughing. Could not lay back for more than a minute or so. Can’t drive if you have to lean forward to stop the cough. Always loved the Dino driving position and stock seats. Oh well.

Candi was riding shotgun so we swapped places. I was OK sitting forward of upright, no shoulder seatbelt though. Got the car washed and rode home. Candi parked in my favorite photo place and I could walk around enough to take pictures. Edited them and wrote this last Saga. Time to hang it up. Next week I’ll post a final Index and call it a day. I can still sit in front of a computer and will chime in on occasion. Just can’t drive or work on the car. Cuts down on Saga subject matter no end. The Dino will have a little rest for a while. Bummer. But every day I wake up is a good day.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
    John
    It has been a priviledge and a pleasure to read your sagas.
    Niggling points that have troubled many of us for years have been brought down to basics and a simple solution offered.
    Common sense allied to an inquisitive nature have meant that you have solved many problems for all of us.
    I wish that we in return could help you to solve your current problem.
    God Bless you and thanks
    Dave

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    John:

Your sagas are a wonderful and amazing repository of knowledge, experience, energy and enthusiasm. Your contribution to F-chat and especially the 206/246 section is immense, and it has meant a great deal to very many people. Thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dan S.

P.S. The car looks terrific, as always.

4. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    John, a simple but honest Thank You for enlighting us all. You are The Star in this Dino section. w/ smiles Jimmy

5. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Thank you for all the time you spent writing this magnificent stories, every week I came to the Dino forum just to look for the latest Saga.

I hope you feel better and thanks for all your contributions, they will be missed.

6. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Gday John,I can only endorse all the wonderful things that have been said about you I have only been a member for a short time and in that time you have helped me heaps,John I hope there may be a time when you can drive your lovely DINO again, where all thinking of you here down under.

All the very best to you and your family
    Merry Christmas to you all.

7. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    John

I always peek in on the Dino section to see what's happening and to read your latest Saga. They have been one of the highlights of the section and I greatly appreciate the effort and hope to see you back in your car soon.

Along with the others in this thread I thank you and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

8. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    John,

I’ve never had a Dino, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever ridden in one, actually the closest I ever came was stealing the girlfriend of someone who drove a Dino, and no, I don’t regret it for a moment, she was great, but getting back on track, I always go to the 206/246 section simply because that’s where you post. I enjoy your writing immensely, not only for the information contained in your lean pros, but because the piece is framed by a man who has kept an ephemeral machine going and made it look easy, using his intelligence and hands to do the job. When I first got a Ferrari, some thirty years ago, keeping the thing going was a serious challenge. One had to know which GM thermostat would both fit and work because no one was in the business of making or importing an OEM bit, in essence if you owned a Ferrari you were living on an island. You have held onto the spirit of independence which today is rare. You never threw your car at an all-knowing mechanic and trusted his gnostic omnipotence as he fussed it in his atelier, no, you knew it was a car, designed and built by a member of your species for your species and by your species, thus you could puzzle apart and rework it yourself, NO PROBLEM! The clock stopped? Fix it. Something you didn’t like? Improve it. Well done.

I had hoped to one day encounter you somewhere in Santa Barbara, perhaps buying tools at Sears in La Cumbre, or at a machine shop in Goleta or then again at market day on lower State. Perhaps even at a hidden table at Cold Springs, not too far from the fire, hell, if Earl Ovington’s daughter ended up owning it then statistically we should all end up eating there simultaneously. I would see the blue Dino parked nearby and keep my eye open, looking for you. I’ll keep looking, only now it would seem that the loud clue, the tell of a blue Dino will be missing and I’ll have to deduce which man out of the crowd is the one I admire. Thank you for your postings John, thank you and God bless.

Merry Christmas,

Kram

9. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    John,

Call me and we can take your Dino out for drives and pictures or when it warms up we can take my Dino out for drives. Mine with the top down is a little easier to get in and out of and the seats have a little more adjustments on them. The motor sounds will thrill you just like your Dino.

And remember since my recent move, I am only 2 miles away now, you or Candi can call anytime.

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    John, Although I have been a Dino owner for over 32 years, I only joined FChat last August. I was immediately taken by your beautiful blue Dino (my car's "fraternal twin"!) and detailed commentaries on life with a Dino. I was thrilled, grateful and honored when you answered my original greetings post and agreed to post some Ferrari- and Dino-related photos for me. I have always enjoyed your tutorials, and hope that you will someday be able to resume them. Your friends here, and your Dino, require your continued engagement. I wish you improving strength, and hope that you and Candi enjoy a happy, prosperous and, most importantly, healthy 2009. With great appreciation, Fred

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    John,

Thank you for all the Saga, it's been appreciated.

T

12. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    John:
    I echo the sentiments and appreciation for all of your contributions. Your willingness to share personal reflections with strangers and fellow enthusiasts is a rare gift. The common thread in all of your postings is passion. Passion for all things Dino, for family, for friends, for knowlege, for photography, or for just tinkering. I wish you all the best.
    -Brian

13. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    John,

You're my hero! I look forward to your sagas every week. I wonder what juicy bit of info you will share with us each time. Your passion for the Dino and your generosity to share your knowledge and experiences are greatly appreciated. It is a pleasure and an honor to have met you in person. And I look forward to hooking up with you again.

I wish you and Candi the very best and I'm still looking forward to your next saga posting.

Manny

14. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi John,
    It was great seeing you at the Newport Beach show during the "coming out party" for Jon's restored Dino. I always enjoyed reading your posts. Best wishes for the holidays. Andrew in Los Angeles

15. marcjh

marcjh Karting

Aug 14, 2004
    A Land Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    Marc Hollander
    John, your weekly sagas have been a delight to explore. I really have enjoyed the photography classes. Your knowledge is unending. With all the brain power on this forum, certainly someone can come up with a way to clone you. As always, your Dino still looks awesome. As your strength allows, we'd all love to hear another little ditty or two. All the best for the holidays and a great 2009!! Marc

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Merry Christmas, John....God Bless, and thanks for everything...

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    One of my favorite parts of F-Chat, the Sagas.

And the great write up in Forza last year...

The sagas are a great archival resource for so many DIY projects, plus the adventure and photography!

My thoughts and prayers are with you John.

18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    John:

I will miss your musings and saga's with your Dino. Best of luck. By the way, don't get a new plate. It is a testament to the fact that the car was used and if I may, a fitting testament to its owner: function first, respect to originality but not at the expense of practicality and drive the snot out of it (including trips to the Home Depot!).

Godspeed.

Alberto

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Merry Christmas John!
    This has always been a great read. Thank you so much for your contribution, for driving and enjoying your car, and most importantly sharing your experiences and knowledge. I wish you a very happy New Year.

God bless,

Dave

20. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    John -

Your advice was right on the money when it has come to the type of plugs and gap to use on the Dino - It starts on the first try and everytime I crank the key I think of you.

Have a very Merry Christmas - enjoy your Family and friends -

all the best.

Pietro

21. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Thanks to everyone. Especially Dave for starting this Forum and Tillman for adding links to the Table of Sagas that I sent to Dave. Only error is on 061217. Dave knows. Had a nice Christmas and hosted relatives for a big luncheon. Those spiral cut hams that Vons had on special turn out great. Nice smoky flavor. Had all the trimmings, nice wines and a big fire in the fireplace. Got a pile of new books. I am set for a while and just taking it easy. Happy New Year.
    John

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Corbani's Corner is starting to shape up. Of course having great material to work with helps.

I have a short list of corrections to make still, but I'm gettin' to 'em.

Thanks again John.

Dave

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Happy Holidays!

I appreciate the Corbani Sagas for their explanations and innovations. The spark plug evolution post made it clear how different they are, so future readers can make an informed choice; the flyback diode on the ignition wires was purposeful and creative.
    Catalogging the data and having it searchable will make it easy the next time the task arises.

Thanks,

Scott

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for all you have done for this site. while i missed meeting you in san diego @ spanish landing, i feel as if i know you...you feel like an old friend. i am sure i speak for many.

i wish you a happy new year and hope to hear the tales of your next drive in the dino. we all look forward to that!

very fondly,

peter c. brinzey

25. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    John....thanks so much for all your imput....I always enjoyed reading your posts.
    For most of us the Dino was a dream realized..very few people actually realize
    their dreams....you certainly have done so.
    Best of luck in the future,
    Sal Manzur