QP manual trans conversion? | FerrariChat

QP manual trans conversion?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by z8virginia, Dec 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. z8virginia

z8virginia Rookie

May 10, 2006
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Carter
    The warranty on my 05 with 33,500 miles expires in July. I love the car, but hate the transmission. I won't buy an QP automatic and can't seem to find anything to replace it that meets my requirements (new, 4 doors, 400 hp or more, manual transmission, gorgeous). Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone who has converted one of these cars to a manual?

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You're serious?

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Considering the car never came with a manual transmission, it will be extremely complicated.

If the rear-ends are identical, I assume you could use the 6 speed transmission used in the Coupe/Spyder/4200 (no idea who makes it though). They are both transaxles, making it slightly easier than if it were bolted to the engine. Heck you may even be able to use the whole transaxle assembly.

Perhaps most difficult, engine management. The engine isn't programmed to work without input from the transmission. Since it is not tuned like the Coupe, you'll have to have a custom chip done.

Custom interior to fit the shifter and its linkages, and most important, the pedals.

Then, is there room on the firewall for a clutch master?

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things ... but you get the idea.

So can it be done? Sure. Anything can be done. But at what cost?

4. z8virginia

z8virginia Rookie

May 10, 2006
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Yes, I am serious and, yes, i understand it may be difficult and expensive. I don't have them time or the patience to be the first to do this. I am just wondering if someone hasn't already done it.

If the transaxle has to be changed, it probably doesn't make sense. I may not understand how the tranny works, but I was assuming that the electrical impulses that move the clutch and select the gears get converted to mechanical inputs at some point and, if feasible, that's where you would intervene. I would bet that I wouldn't be the only one that would bite if someone had a conversion available to do this.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I doubt anyone would have been "adventurous" enough to have done this. Buy a different car or try out the automatic. It's gotten rave reviews for those who don't like the cambiocorsa. Any of these suggestions will be a lot cheaper than what you're suggesting.

If money is no object then I'd suggest you post this in the Technical section and ask for names of a very qualified shop that's done this sort of complex conversion on other cars. Just a guess but a price tag of $75-$100K wouldn't surprise me. I think taking a 6 speed from one of the original coupes is the right starting point and I'm certain there are companies that can accomodate you. But you might want to drive one of those 6 speeds and see if you like that gearbox. Try the ************ website.

Bob S.

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If the QP gearbox works anything like the older F1 gearboxes, there the actuators move the mechanical gear selector shaft, then I would think that it would be possible to remove the actuators and simply attach a mechanical linkage at that point, but if the actuators are built in to the box itself, as I suspect they might be, then you'd need to retrofit a different gearbox.

Assuming you could make room under the car for the linkage, then it would be a matter of sourcing an automatic center console, replacing the manual handbrake with the electric one, figuring out if you need to hack the computer, etc, etc.

I also wish they had come out with a manual. The automatic is OK, but the engine really does not have enough low end torque for stop and go traffic, for example.