Owners Outraged After Vandalized Car is Towed | FerrariChat

Owners Outraged After Vandalized Car is Towed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ducky355, Dec 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Heads would roll if this happened to me.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1208/575299.html

"WASHINGTON - A D.C. family is saying there is a good reason why their vandalized car shouldn't have been towed.

The dilemma for Chris Thompson and her husband Mike started on Thanksgiving morning when they noticed the wheels and tires on their Audi had been stolen and the car was sitting on cinder blocks. Five days later, after filing a police report and while waiting for the new parts to come in, the city took matters into its own hands.

Earlier this week, a tow truck contracted by the Department of Public Works (DPW) dragged a $70,000 dollar car to an impound lot.

"They dragged the car with a cinder block underneath it," said Thompson. "It made me sick."

Now, Thompson is outraged, claiming the damage is estimated at $20,000. "They couldn't have run our tags, they couldn't have found us," said Thompson. "They didn't try anything."

Neighbor Melvin Peterson initially reported the car to police last week. "I was concerned that maybe it was a stolen vehicle being stripped," Peterson said.

Days later, Peterson watched as it was taken away. "When the vehicle pulled out I said, they just did a serious amount of damage to this man's car."

An official with DPW said the car was given a $250 ticket and towed because it was deemed "too dangerous to be on public space".

The Capitol Hill couple, however, said no one ever notified them they were in violation. They claim they still haven't been able to talk to anyone other than a receptionist at the office.

"I was practically in tears when I got handed $250 ticket, I had to pay $120 at the impound for a car that was already vandalized," said Thompson."

2. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What the city did was horrible, and the fact that the person who was videotaping what happened did not do or say anything is also horrible.
    On a side note, does an Audi S4 really cost 70,000$?

3. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Media at it's finest.

More importantly, are wheels on said Audi S4 worth stealing?

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Did the Obama transition team already start to work?

5. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    #5 ADON, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Sitting somewhere out in public or on someone's private property on cinder blocks for a week with no wheels like at the trailer park?? I can't blame them for towing it. The owner could have easily borrowed a couple spare wheels or bought some for a couple dollars and had it towed himself within a day or two. The owner only started *****ing when it got towed. If would probably still be sitting there with no wheels if the city had not yanked it.

It sat there for a week. I don't feel sorry for them.

6. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #6 Ducky355, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    The article mentions that they bought wheels, but were waiting for them to come in. "Five days later, after filing a police report and while waiting for the new parts to come in, the city took matters into its own hands." Furthermore, if it happened on Thanksgiving, 5 days later includes one holiday, black Friday and two weekend days. A week is a bit of an exaggeration. Besides, I doubt the lady even knows what the proper bolt pattern or offset is for a B7 S4, let alone know someone that happens to have wheels to borrow.

If it was against a city ordinance, you would think that the police would have advised them to move it.

Luckily I have 2 extra spare sets in my basement for such an occurrence, but not everyone is an enthusiast, nor has the knowledge/ means to take care of such issues on a holiday weekend.

7. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In recent economic times (read the last 5-10 years.....) cities and governments are doing EVERYTHING possible to raise money!!!!! It is quite clear that no efforts were made to contact the owners. Towing companies contracting with cities gladly tow every vehicle the can find to make as much money as they can. The city is happy to write the ticket and see you in court or simply just PAY! This is the type of future we all have to look forward to. A growing problem that is not going to just go away, Scott

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How can there be such a gap between city/govt employees and normal human beings ?

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Funny isn't it.

All these politicians want equal rights for everyone, but if you were to bring them down to "normal peoples" level they would squeal like pigs that it was unfair. Almost all politicians are walking contradictions.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have to side with the city on this one. The couple should have been proactive and done what was necessary to move the car to a safe storage location. Leaving the car on the street was not only arrogant but incredibly stupid, if not naive. A good tow company could have lifted the car and installed a dolly beneath for towing at the very least and AAA would have covered the cost. Sorry, but this goes under the caption of owners of nice cars who don't deserve them. You always have to expect the stupidest and least thoughtful response from your government officials.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    WOW! I would be in jail right now had someone done that to my car. ( LOL )

1. How is its that Melvin would not know that it was a neighbors car? ( I do not know all of my neighbors, but I know the cars )
    2. How is it that the news happened to be there, taking before and during video?
    3. In Dallas, the vehicle gets stickered, then towed... WTH
    4. I am betting there is more to the story that we know....
    5. IMO there is nothing unsafe about the car sitting on blocks ( as shown before it was towed ) its not going anywhere.
    6. The local Audi Dealership could have ( should have ) offered to have Audi Roadside asst pick up the car for them. At least loaned a set of " take off " wheels to the client ( car is new enough, car would be under warranty, and Audi does alot to help in warranty clients, even for non-warranty work )
    7. The tow service person was an idiot ( again, IMO ) there are ways to load that vehcile with out the drama
    8. $70k.. maybe depending on options...

Steve

13. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I don't know how many cars I've had towed that are on blocks on the street BUT I make every attempt possible to make contact with the owner, and will usually just tag the car as abandoned for 48 hrs before taking any action. Sounds like the tow company could have taken better steps and a lawsuit is justified. Like most things, the article doesn't show what steps were taken beforehand (if any) to make contact with the owner by Police or code enforcement. It's possible they tried to contact the owner but was unsuccessful. Either way, that really sucks for them. :(

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    From the link:
    ABC7 has the cringeworthy story of Chris and Mike Thompson, whose $70,000 Audi was vandalized on Thanksgiving Day. The entire wheel set was stolen from the car, which was left on the street on cinder blocks. The Thompson's filed a police report and were waiting for replacement wheels to fix the car, when, instead, the Department of Public Works sent a tow truck to literally drag the car — with the cinder blocks still underneath — to the impound lot. They were given a $250 ticket and paid another $120 to get the car back, now with over $20,000 in damage. The livid couple could only say, "They couldn't of run our tags, they couldn't of found us. They didn't try anything." Ugh.

:rolleyes:

15. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
  16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  17. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Man, that upsets me! If it were my car, I would be suing the heck out of em. The city caused $20,000 dollars in damage, and should pay for it. It's their fault. But, the are going to give the owners a ton of junk about who it is the tow mans fault, then the tow man will say it is just his job, say it is the cities fault. The city is fully responsible for all of this.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Some comments are scary...apparently you cant park your car in DC unless you dont care if it is vandalized.

19. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    The city requested the Tow, they didn't perform it. If they are like us, they have a regular rotation of tow companies. I'd suggest they talk to the cities Risk Management to see what could be done. I agree that the city should use discretion on who the tow companies are.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    This is a bunch of crap! The city should HAVE contacted the owner, and at least given them some time frame for having the car repaired / removed prior to towing it. It was not any kind of public hazard. I can see $20k easily for the repairs. I would definitely sue the city and the tow company, and I rarely find cause for a lawsuit.
    BT

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    No one mentions the neighbor not even checking on the situation but just calling in for it to get towed?

22. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    How can you say that?
    They had their wheels stolen, and ordered new ones. They were just waiting for their parts to come in ... how much more proactive does one have to be? Buy 4 extra used wheels and tires? Are they even available locally (and how do you pick them up?)? buy through ebay and wait a week for delivery? And be stuck with 4 wheels you don't know what to do with?
    I'm pretty sure it didn't even cross their mind that leaving their car for a couple days would be such an issue.

I hope the tow trucker loses his job.

23. JJJJJS

JJJJJS Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not that uncommon. My neighbors called to get one of my cars towed because of expired tags. Luckily I got new tags before the truck showed...

24. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    You guys don't know DC. Especially East DC. NE is an "up and coming area" but its still like walking the streets of Somalia at night. I only park underground when I'm in DC and I drive a peice of crap. I know friends with A8's and G55's that metro into the city and leave their cars in garages in VA.

In addition to this, the DC police dept/ gov is the 2nd most corrupt organization in the nation (I'll let Chi town take #1). They treat you like dirt. Better chance I get hit by lightning tomorrow then these ppl see a dime for their trouble. DC is a great place to work but I'd never live there in a thousand years. (I live one mile over the line in VA where I still am allowed some rights.)

25. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    lol. Please. I've seen ppl walk by a pedestrian that got clipped by a car. No one wants to get involved. Only NYC is a colder place, and at least there you have some sense of community.