Dino Saga 081130 _ Editing for Projection | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 081130 _ Editing for Projection

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Nov 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 081130 _ Editing for Projection

Never done this before but it worked! Donna needed her catalog on a CD for a presentation at her old High School. Digital projectors work just like the Internet when you are trying to get the highest impact video image. Better that you to do the reduction from camera resolution to projector resolution than let the average Viewer take care of the job. I assumed that to be the case and called Donna’s school to get the specs of the projector and the laptop that would be used to show the pictures. Had a hard time describing what I wanted. Not much technical ability on campus. The average teacher just loads the CD and uses a Windows viewer. Large picture files are usually fuzzy. Look out of focus when the whole picture is cut down to a thousand or so pixels wide.

Finally got the info I wanted, 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels high. I shot the original camera files at 2848 pixels wide and 2136 pixels high. Both projector and laptop had same resolution so reduction was easy. Reduce, sharpen lightly and save. 1000 x 750 pixels is an easy pair of numbers after a while. Pictures were shown on a 6 ft wide screen and looked great from the back of the room. A little blocky up close but OK. Distance of observers was from about 6 ft to 40 ft. Would have been nice to have had higher resolution but worked fine. Checked my wife’s notebook and 1280 x 800 is as high as it goes. Didn’t have a projector that went there. Donna and her school were happy.

Whole process is quite different from film projectors. In general, digital pictures look like they are higher quality than amateur quality film. I have circular trays filled with Ektachrome slides that look pretty pitiful against 1,000 pixel wide digital pics. Kodachrome is much better but I didn’t shoot much of that in the old days. Interesting effect shows up with digital projectors. If the screen has any kind of regular pattern, you can get Moire patterns at certain magnifications. Bed sheets and some old time high reflection screens show this effect. I have found that ¼” thick Foam Core sheets make great projection screens. 4 ft x 3 ft is a convenient size and works well up to a viewing distance of 20 ft. The newer projectors are so bright that you can trade off center aisle brightness for extreme wide angle viewing.

Made a comparison set of reductions to 800 x 600, the maximum that Rob gives us. Big difference in quality. 1,000 wide gives 750,000 pixels against 480,000 pixels. Then down to 307,200 pixels. Pretty soon the standard monitor will be bigger and our pictures can get bigger too. Maybe in another year. In the meantime, we can be thankful for the move up from 640 x 480. Now 640 is pretty pitiful but great in its time. For right now, the Internet Browser takes up a lot of room both top and bottom of the screen. A wide angle monitor doesn’t help at all. One of these days our monitors will get up to HD’s vertical resolution of 1080 pixels. That will make 22” wide screen monitors really come into their own. We can dream.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login