After "owner abuse" 2010 Nissan GTR will NOT have launch control | FerrariChat

After "owner abuse" 2010 Nissan GTR will NOT have launch control

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TeamF1Jr, Nov 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #1 TeamF1Jr, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It'll be interesting to see the performance difference between the LC cars and the non LC cars.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Where are all the fanbois now? :)

4. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    Wonder what the new 0-60 times will be?

also it is stupid that they got themselves into this mess by having a r-tarded warranty stipulation that no other car company has.

just my .02

5. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Good call, now that the GT-R has all the publicity it needs, time to ditch the PR compaign and start focusing on a car that actually won't self-destruct.

6. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  7. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Did Nissan put LC in the car and then expect owners not to use it? Stupid.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What is their [legal] distinction between "use" and "abuse?" If you build the system in a way that ensures it will damage the clutch/trans every time you use it, then how can you hold the customer liable for its use? Especially when it's a marketed feature?

9. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The manual in the glove box says to only use the LC if you're stuck in snow.

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    That's like calling a fat chick 'busty". I'm sure she is, but that's not what you thought...

11. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I'm sure a lot of people in the Miami area will be claiming this one!

12. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    #12 QT3141, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
    LOL. I suppose if the GTR had been around in 1977 (the only snowfall there)...

Seriously, even in places that actually get snow, this excuse won't stick. As far as I know, the manual states that VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control or something) can only be switched off if trying to get the car unstuck from snow. It doesn't say anything about Launch Control, but I suppose that's so that drivers don't get any ideas!

To engage LC you need to do certain things including turning off the VDC and damping settings, etc. Then you need to basically do a brakestand launch (pin the brake and the throttle). I don't know much about snow driving (live in the tropics) but I'm pretty certain you don't launch the car when trying to get it unstuck in snow, it'll only cause the wheels to slip more.

Remember the little black box in the car- it records everything. Nissan can tell when you used the VDC for a "genuine" reason and when you were launching the car. Now, with the legalese, Nissan can technically void the warranty the moment you switch off the VDC - but I think they won't do that for genuine cases that were really trying to get unstuck from the snow. But the black box sees all and tells all, so it just isn't worth it.

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    In one of the early Edmunds tests, they did 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, without launch control, the same car did 3.2 or 3.3 with LC engaged. The quarter mile time, without launch control, will flirt with (or go over) 12 seconds I imagine.

Jimmy

14. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
  15. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah! Let's sue those bastards!!!!

Kidding of course :) Seriously, is that a "warranty" light? Takes "dummy light" to a whole new level.

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Ridiculous really to have a system that cant be used because it destroys the gearbox....