Talk to me about colors | FerrariChat

Talk to me about colors

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Nov 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok guys and gals what is the best paint color for these cars? I happen to think in general darker colors are better. Since my car is currently in primer the choices are endless. Please give me your opinions on color choice. Should it be one of factory colors from 1975, or a Ferrari color from any time, or any color independent of Ferrari?

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I agree the darker colors are better. Red and yellow don't fit the cars dignified shape in my opinion. I've seen a very sharp white one as well.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Silver looks very nice too! ;-)

4. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    #4 GreggG, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim,

I agree with the comments previously made. The less traditional colors, in my opinion, look best. This, however, is a very personal decision that you will have to come to terms with. I actually like the brown color of the Gentry Lane car, which may (or may not) be the original for your car--I would do some checking if I were you. All things being equal, going back to the original color scheme could be a good thing. If I've managed things correctly, I've included a pic of the Gentry Lane car, as well as a silver car, which, franky, would be my preference if I were starting from scratch and did not feel beholden to go back to original.

Gregg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #5 brettski, Nov 17, 2008
    here is a little more to go on...i think he has a lot of flexibility. i still hoping for Blu Ferrari (midnight'ish blue) but i've also mentioned Silver to Jim.
    the front seats could use a light respray, rears are great, door interiors are brand new. Jim wants to redo his own dash down the road.

but it really has to be a correct, factory offered period colour Jim, no ?

hmph...you beat me to it Gregg...but see what i mean about the Silver. WOW. that just trumped Blue, for me anyway. light dash too.

oh, Jim has the option of having a nice condition correct wheel also...but the Prototipo that's there is new.

6. Pedro

Pedro Karting

Nov 17, 2008
    Full Name:
    P Licious
    #6 Pedro, Nov 17, 2008
    Ok, so the tranny's probably shot, but the Grigio color is nothing to growl about. It's absolutely gorgeous, especially with the red.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Take a look at this thread and look at the examples of TDF blue, it is about 1/2 of the way down the page. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158308&page=2

Brett I think you and I have simular ideas on these cars. Here is how I look at it. I want the car to drive not be a museum piece. If there are after market parts that work better then factoy parts and cost less than that is the way to go. Now I'm not saying lets put a sb chevy in it at all. But lets say manley makes ss valves, or crane cams makes valve springs that work then rock on with those parts. To think that there has been no improvements in things like metalurgy or electronics in the last 35 years is silly. Ferrari parts are expensive because they are good parts but a bigger reason is they make so few that the per unit costs are really high.

Back to the color issue, I kind of would like a blue car but the silver does look pretty good. Does anyone have any more silver pictures?

8. 1ST1MADE

1ST1MADE Karting

Apr 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #8 1ST1MADE, Nov 18, 2008
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for posting, the Brandy Wine is a great color. Are there any dark green cars out there? I haven't seen any pictures of dark green.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #10 SouthJersey400i, Nov 18, 2008
  11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #11 aidanparte, Nov 23, 2008
    Jim

Congrats on you car! I think they look best in black, silver or dark grey (grigio sciuro), but marrone, prugna and blue look great too. There's a guy with a sea-foam green car that looks fabulous, too - I think his name is Tim and he's converting his 400 auto to 5-speed - you'll see pics on this forum.

Cheers

Aidan

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Red Sir Ivor. But I'm biased...

13. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #13 koisokok, Nov 23, 2008
  14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Black and tan is probably my favorite too!

Aidan

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    PPG's Pure Black single stage Urethane (w/o 2nd stage clear-coat) is phenomenal.

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    During a 1982 visit to the factory in Maranello, I was given a 400 brochure, which contained photos of a beautiful light metallic blue car. The color looked something like a color which Volvo then had, called Petroleum Blue, I believe. It is very elegant, gives good light/shadow play, and is easy to keep clean. My blue Dino is Blu Sera Scuro, which is a dark blue metallic with a lot of red highlights. I have a tan interior, but it looks good with many other colors, particularly red (I've got pictures of a Daytona with that combination), burgundy and cream. I agree that red (Rosso Corsa) and yellow are not great colors for a 365 GT/4, just as they are not good on a Lusso. By the way, don't feel limited by the stock colors of the day. When I had a bare-metal repaint done on my then-silver Dino about seven years ago, I went with Rosso Fiorano Metalizzato, which is a metallic red with blue tints. Good luck with your color hunt! Fred

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #17 brettski, Nov 24, 2008
    single stage is exactly what i've got in mind and it will be PPG, but i don't think it should be black considering the interior.
    for what's it's worth, i feel it has to be a period correct, factory offered exterior colour and, IMO, that means either it's original Marrone, dark blue, dark grey or silver which 'work' best' because his interior is the chocolate brown one in the pics posted above. the cool thing for Jim is that two similar browns are the latest thing from the factory on it's current 2+2, V-12 GT.

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for all of your replies. I think black is a good color but with all of the glacial silt we have here black cars just get really scratched up. I took extremely good care of the last black car I had and it just looked like crap with all of the swirl marks. Red is another great color but my truck, van, and CTSV are all red so that's enough red (I not even counting my 401k!).

Aiden you know this whole Ferrari thing is at least partially your fault, thanks again for the ride last summer!

Koisokok in your profile I see you have a 400i and had an 05 CTS-V. I'm wondering how the two compare? Did you ever post on any of the Caddy forums?

Brett I will give you a call this week. I have been very busy but the show is now over so I finally have a little breathing room.

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    what a small world, yes i am on the cadillac forum, 1FSTKDE. I have a 07 sts-v now, as far as comparing the ctsv to the 400i, you cant..totally different cars..but love both.

20. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I really like the light green car above. I remember road testing a few early 80's BMWs in a similar hue. My 308 (I always enjoy checking what you guys have going on over here ) is black/black but I like the cars in the more unusual colors.

21. lmaldoon

lmaldoon Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    La Quinta CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #21 lmaldoon, Nov 26, 2008
  22. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Damn, that's a beauty!

Aidan

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1!

24. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #24 brettski, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    i wanted to 'bump' this because Jim is days away from making a decision that he'll have to live with for a while...

i've decided i'm fully in the Silver 'camp'...

oh, Lee, i'm sorry for not mentioning earlier that your car is stunning. you must be the coolest cowboy in all of Wyoming.

25. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    marrone or prugna for these beauties !!