Dino Saga 081102 _ Sunday at Avila Beach | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 081102 _ Sunday at Avila Beach

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Nov 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 081102 _ Sunday at Avila Beach

Took over 100 pics. Finally made a fair sequence out of 41. I’d hate to be the art director for a travel magazine. Imagine having 500 great pics and have to pick 4. I edited the 41, added captions and resized. I think they show off the flavor and beauty of the show.

The second annual Avila Concours was a great show in a great setting by a great crew. And I only saw the last day of a 4 day string of events. The crew will enjoy a week of rest before starting planning for next year. Be there! Ferrari was about half of the show and the turnout was exceptional. They only had about 10 Ferrari spaces reserved but unused. About as close to perfect planning as you can get. The variety was staggering. There were 4 Dinos embedded in a “Row of Kings” from the 50s to 70s. The Dino is not a real Ferrari? Ha! Newer cars filled up 4 ½ additional rows featuring everything up to a 599. The rest of the show had everything else. American and European from pre-war to 2008. Sports, custom, restoration, even a pre-war hearse. I dropped pics of a lot of these figuring that FChat members would have a casual interest but had moved on.

The car ran beautifully up to Pismo and we stopped at the Best Western. Nice room overlooked the pool and the beach. Heavy fog right at the water’s edge. Had dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent. Perfect Filet. Fog lifted a little and gave us a view of lights down the beach. Next morning we grabbed the continental breakfast and drove through a light fog to the Country Club. Set up on the newly clipped 18th fairway. Lots of crew got us settled exactly on a mark. Just unloaded a chair when FChat’s Scott.Mac wheeled alongside. He had emailed me saying he would try to make the show. Was ferrying his car from Washingon State down to Carlsbad. Consulting job stretched out and he missed his Dino. He wanted to be judged so he unloaded and started polishing. Had a full Griot chemistry set. A bottle of magic juice for every inch of the car. While he was shining I walked down the line and met FChat’s Stevesonn with his red GTS. Car was what Scott was trying for. Spotless. I’d met Steve’s car in a Santa Barbara shop but had never met Steve. Books, tools, high point man. Another few cars and another red GTS. The cars in our row were the cream of the Ferrari world. Poor Scott. He got waylaid at the wine and food tent and missed the judges. They gave him 10 minutes then closed the judging. Car will look great in Carlsbad but no prize. Good wine though!

The show photographer took mercy on my chair and O2 bottle. Let me sit just off the runway after the cars picked up their winnings. The camera man was running all over to get his presentation pics and I got the cars as they rolled on and off the 18th green. Only foul-up of the day involved getting the winners to the spot on time. No biggie. All done by 3:30 PM. I hope I got all the Ferrari winners. We headed back and packed the car for the trip home. Scott was going on to Carlsbad and suggested we caravan as far as Santa Barbara. Sounded good and it was. Blue and Red made a nice train and got a lot of waves and thumbs up. Traffic was light and fast. 70 in the right lane, 80-90 in the left. We stayed in the middle of packs and all was comfortable. Great driving country. Great show. Great 2 days. Enjoy the pictures.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Great photos. Thanks.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. jim13mac

jim13mac Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very nice! Thanks John,
    Jim

4. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you for posting the photos. I'm disappointed that I chose to sit at home that day instead of making the drive up to the show! This event will definitely be on my calendar next year.

5. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very nice.
    I really enjoyed the show, all four days of it.