355 Challenges with NASA Texas? | FerrariChat

355 Challenges with NASA Texas?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by redcar1, Aug 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rob/Colin,
    How did you guys fare at TWS over the wknd? I would like to have been there, but it was not to be. I am going to try to make the Eagles Canyon date.
    Have you heard anything about their paving situation?
    See you at the track,
    Mark

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    They are supposed to be closed until the NASA date in order to fix the paving issues. Linda is a user here, so maybe she can provide more info. SCCA moved their date to TMS, but everything should be great for NASA in October.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Long hot weekend. Colin and I both did practice Friday. I kept it to two sessions in morning as my old slicks were shot and I corded them. Afternoon I broke in new pads and slicks.

Qualifying I rushed to grid to make sure I was first out, had Jay Matus behind me in the 911. First hot lap I was nailing it and towards the end pulling many car lengths on Jay. Coming around Turn #3 (CCW direction although we were CW) car just shuts off. I pull over as everyone flys by on their first hot lap. I give it a little and look down to see my kill switch activated. Turn it on and back out there, now have ruined this lap, the next, and hope for a good 4th lap although back in traffic. Again the kill switch goes in Turn #3, so now down the straight before #3 each lap I reach down to make sure it hasn't moved at all. No more kill switch problem, but first 6 laps were a waste. The VERY last lap I do OK, but not perfect and for a 1:53.7 or so. Jay's best time was that first hot lap behind me at a 1:54.5 and I had been pulling many lengths on him. Oh well, still put me on ST2 pole ahead of Ron and Colin, 3rd overall in group between those GTA NASCAR's.

At the race start the NASCAR behind me and its 600+ HP go around me on the straight while taking their sweet time through the first turns. In the turns I would poke my nose in, but learned real quick that A) they have no visibility around them. B) they drive NASCAR lines and have no clue road racing. C) there is no such thing as racing room. So I went around in 4th behind the 3 NASCAR's and that 3rd one was holding me up bad. I saw Ron spun first corner, so was in the clear for ST2. Had great racing with that NASCAR #10, Jay Matus, and Michael Mills (M3) for first half of race. Not wanting to mess up the GTS race and sick of the NASCAR, Jay and Michael raced by me to have fun with it. Michael got by it and then if I remember right I went back by Jay and that's how we finished.

Sunday qualifying I had a water hose loose and was going around in a cloud of steam, I was able to put down another 1:53 before water temps started creeping up and came in. Ron out qualified me by 2-tenths.

Sunday race followed Ron through first corners and I could have made an aggressive move, but it was crowded and high risk. I sat back, but another M3 took advantage of the accordion and us upfront being patient as an opportunity to make a brainless dive bomb. I saw it coming and stayed left backing out while the M3 blew through the corner taking out Ron ahead of me. So the car in front of me and car in back made heavy contact taking each other out while I weaved through the falling parts without a scratch. I put down 3 good laps and caught that same NASCAR #10 causing me problems the day before, but about then noticed my water creeping up. I had ST2 won again, so short shifted home. In that first clear 2nd lap of race I did best time of weekend with 1:52.9. My short shifting times went up to 1:57-58, but dropped water temp 20 degrees.

So summary of the mechanicals and tid bits over weekend…

- What does that suspension button do? Colin came over and asked me if I was on soft or hard suspension setting. I thought he was joking, I said what suspension setting, mine is fixed. He looks in my dash and points out the suspension button that I have never seen in the 5+ years of ownership. It has never be on, always on the soft setting for all those races and hundreds of laps. Next session out I ran 2 laps soft and then turned to hard and it was a noticeable difference. I think good for at least a second as the Saturday afternoon race I forgot to turn on and laps were in the 1:54's although clear track and still driving hard.

- Kill switch rewired so it doesn't slip to off.

- Alternator going bad and ran down battery making me miss the 2nd race Saturday.

- Starter going bad, hot start problems even after battery fully charged.

- Water hose leak and then air in system causing higher water temps.

Other than that car ran great, put new pads on, first time on new slicks, and the magic suspension button! Really enjoyed the 2.9 CW, I have done the 1.8 CW with SCCA several times, but first time on 2.9 that direction.

Lets try to get a big Challenge turnout for Eagles Canyon.

Here are the professional pics of the weekend. #18 and 19 show the Z06 and M3 wreck a little as I weave through.

http://photocafe.lenzus.com/cgi/album?37276867+54006465+0+54266518

4. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Awesome pictures!

Love the car Rob. 355 CH's have always been my favorite:)

5. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great work there Rob! Very cool pictures. I wish I could've joined you. Although 100+ degree temps are pretty tough, especially given that the LagunaSeca forecast is calling for a high of 66 this weekend!

I ran 2.9 CW with PCA many years ago, and liked it a lot. Do you think it is a bit quicker CW? Either way 1:52.9 is really fast, especially given that I think you said you're on Hoosiers.

On your suspension settings; I disabled mine, and put adjustable dials on the tops of the shocks, as recommended by Rob S. the FChat sponsor that is the 355 shock guru. I've been running full stiff front and rear. I'm sure you know that any good auto electric shop can rebuild your alternator and starter. They don't even need to speak Italian.

I will plan to do all I can to come to Eagles Canyon. Maybe we can talk Wes A. into bringing his 348C.

See you later,

Mark

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All indications CW is 1-3 seconds faster a lap than CCW. I ran new Pirelli slicks for the first time too. That should be about right, think we were running 1:56 a few years back CCW.

I never got the perfect lap, that fast lap was the mid-day race, without the kill switch and then water leak problems in morning qualifying a low 1:52 was doable. In colder conditions maybe a 1:50.

7. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'll buy that. Still very good times, Rob. I think you're right that we were about 1:56 a few years ago, but I think you were running takeoff slicks. I was on pretty fresh Pirelli's, if I remember correctly.
    I hope now to be a bit quicker everywhere with the coaching I've gotten from Anthony Lazarro this year. I'm sure he's made me much faster on TWS 1.8 portion, at least in the 430. We haven't tested the 2.9, but I'd love to have his input on the long track.
    Great job!

8. lindalou

lindalou Rookie

Jul 5, 2006
    Southlake, Tx
    Full Name:
    Linda Lou Cook
    Actually repairs began yesterday & all is looking great! We're not closed on weekends as the repairs will only take about 1 week to 10 days max. As for SCCA there are many details which I obviously cannot discuss on a forum. We did not drop the ball...........
    All other events are on, they know what's up because they've called & they are well assured all is fine, which it is.
    We are looking forward to the NASA event & yes I encourage as many Ferrari's as possible to show up. David & myself are big Ferrari fans have been for years. My first race car was a F Challenge. I also enjoyed being a FCA President for years back in Montreal. I think it would be a great event for Ferrari owners to come out & make an event of some sort!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sounds great Linda, Shannon Matus from NASA made sure to tell all the racers at the last event about Eagle's Canyon. Can't wait.

10. xtrmle

xtrmle Rookie

Oct 14, 2008

11. kx5fast

kx5fast Karting

Jul 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    RP
    I too race a "NASCAR" road race car (actually an ASA LS1 powered car, but no matter).

Got out of a Porsche 911 last year to run something fast and safe. We at first had the typical "road racer" apprehensions from those in my run groups (SPM and ITE in the Porsche to GT1 and SPO in the stock car) until they realized that that a) they could not keep up and b) I was spending about one quarter of what the others were.

FYI, although large, the NASCAR style cars are almost perfectly balanced and have little negative handling characterisitics save the solid rear axle. Mine weighs in at 2,500 lbs, substantially less than the 911, and the C355 as well I believe.

So, even though I am a Ferrari owner and enthusiast, as well as a Porsche owner, I will whole heartedly agree with xtrlme that you run what you like, and the excuses are for your buddies when no one else hears.

(BTW, we now have a run group of 6 ea of the NASCAR style cars, and nothing European can even come close to staying with us, including the 360 challenge. Tube frame Trans Am Vette or Camaro is about it, so make of that what you may).

RP

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey Doug, welcome to FerrariChat.com. Lets nip this in the bud real quick, that post was after the TWS when I had raced with your class for the first time. I think you even came up and introduced yourself there. Turns out there was only 1 car I had problems with at TWS and he was either completely clueless, a total a$$, or both. I can't remember exact number, but I think #10. That guy really didn't have a clue on road racing lines or racing room, I was on his door multiple times under braking and turn in and he would run all the way down to the apex causing me to either go off or slam on my brakes. Best case for him he had no visibility, but he needs to learn, I believe that was the case and will give him benefit of the doubt. If he was doing that on purpose and does it to me again then he will learn a few hard lessons on and off the track. I also have to preface that I had a certain expectation of you guys with warnings from other racers that have been grouped with you previously. Actually, from Kevin Mixon our class admin and Jay Matus, both respected sports car racers. I know Kevin Mixon had been pretty upset with one or more cars at a previous event.

Looking back I do owe you an apology because #10 was the only NASCAR I had a problem with, not a single other car after my first weekend racing with you. After my 2nd weekend racing with you I have to say I have a ton of respect for you guys. Through a long day of testing and 6 total sessions Saturday and Sunday everyone in your class raced well and clean. You guys, especially you and Gregg are really really good beyond just being gentleman racers. As we talked about in the shack I'm not afraid to stick my nose in under braking and the turns as that's my cars strengths and I'm as focused keeping up with my class leader as you guys are or staying out front. Hopefully I didn't tick you guys off as I know you are several seconds faster and a couple times I slipped in front after T1/2 only for you have to wait until the next straight to pass me back. I guess it all evens out as sometimes I lose positions at the start to your class cars qualifying slower and can't get back by under braking and first turn.

Doug you had every right to call me on my comments, but hopefully I explained myself OK. I raced Spec. RX7’s 2000-2005 and we had several problems with the Legends and mini-NASCAR’s, I shouldn’t have let those experiences influence my preconceived notions of your full NASCAR’s.

13. xtrmle

xtrmle Rookie

Oct 14, 2008
    Rob
    Definitely no offense taken, just compelled to respond. To clear any mystery, the #10 car was driven at TWS by a guy stepping out of vintage racers for the first time, so he probably had several issues to overcome. (Hopefully he liked it enough to buy that car from me, and if he doesn't maybe you will!). At any rate, I think you've found and I'm sure you will find that these guys are fun to race with and are generally pretty smart racers, although we all have our moments. Looking forward to your in-car videos you promised.

Doug

14. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #14 speedmoore, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    So Rob you think I can get any of you guys to come play with me and Redcar1 at MSR Nov 21/22????

at a 1:53 TWS time you ought to be competitive ;-)

http://www.autoracingforcharity.org/

David

"I will be behind the wheel not the wall."

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very true, it isn't the car that makes mistakes, but the driver. sounds like he was just figuring the car out and wasn't looking around him much. no worries, if I don't know who I'm racing with then I assume the worse and that's the only reason your #10 and my #12 didn't trade paint and dents. :) I'm a stuck up Ferrari guy who likes to make fun of NASCAR and left turn only racers, so wouldn’t be caught dead in one :D;):D, however, I have a buddy who races that appreciates moonshine racing and those cars (he's got few old homologation cars like Superbird and Cyclone), please PM or email admin -at- ferrarichat.com info on the cars, he may be interested. thanks!

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey and I have MSRH figured out too, I have a few lap records there. :) No, I'm getting sick of being beat by your Moorespeed race cars and ringers (Mark)! :D Seriously, timing is bad as we spend entire Thanksgiving week up in Kansas. Otherwise sounds great and Mark talked to Colin in 355 C and Rob in 911 about attending. Thanks for invite!

17. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #17 speedmoore, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    Yea the holiday timing has blown it for some of my out of state racer friends.....

I was really hoping you could make it as its only 1/2 day Friday practice and then qualifying and race on Saturday with plenty of time to head to Kansas.

Mark's car is a stone stocker dude, or at least the last time we worked on it....just removed the windows & regs and put some fresh bumpers along with his fancy dancy paint job and a fuel cell for safety, lexan windows, some cosmetic carbon fiber to clean up what was removed and thats it......although it does have our Phi Slamma Jamma suspension setup that he uses to its full extent.

We're going to try to do six events or more next year to include TWS and other tracks too....we could use your help getting the word out for sure.

How bout you NASCAR boys??? I've had some epic battles in HSR at Sebring with some of those heavy sedans ;-)

david

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mark was a great driver 5 years ago and with the 430 Challenge series has really taken it to the next level. Our time difference was 75% Mark, although we don't know for sure we're thinking he's about 100-200 lbs. lighter and rest of my car truely is 100% challenge series except new welded cage.

19. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Seat time is everything and he is getting plenty of that....he's always been quick in any car setup well. I think his biggest advantage beyond being skinny as a rail is from his old road racing days on 2 wheels....he doesn't have any fear on four with a cage around him ;-)