Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by ferrariguy, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Read between the lines. The title on the placard of each car at the Geneva Classics was supplied by Slavic Collection (and unfortunately said "250 GTO" without anything else) but the description of the general model at the bottom of each placard was supplied by the Geneva Classic Organizing Committee. There had been BIG discussions BEFORE that show IF those cars should actually be displayed or not and HOW they would have to be described properly. The owner and the organizing committee did NOT have the same opinion and the committee was aware of the reconstructions. I had warned them well in advance and warned them regarding possible wrong descriptions.
    Their "solution" was that they let the owner describe the cars himself but with a little footnote on each placard that they were NOT responsible for the descriptions.............
    Marcel Massini

2. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    I agree. The problem is for a large part of the public, not necessarily very knowledgeable, and who have thought that the GTO was true, as the 250 California , the 250LM, etc ...It's absurd to imagine that is the reason why "Ferrari Classiche" is absent this year ?

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Very weird behavior from Slavic. It is as if he wasnt proud of his collection as it is..Even without the LM/GTO and Cali, it is still breathtaking !

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The absence of Classiche this year in Geneva has NOTHING to do with other cars shown this year. They just didn't want to spend the money for the stand and instead Honda showed some of their classics on the same place.
    Marcel Massini

5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Marcel,

in my mind Ferrari itself doesn't know how to behave on Repro's. Once they do not behave on them (look at different RM auctions in the past and in the very near future) on the other hand they "fight" against them on every level. In consequence Ferrari has had to stop the Slavic display. They could not because of Swiss legacy.

Does that all make sence? No, Repro's are what they are, in best case a perfectly switched 250 GTE or so, in worst case a Toyota MR2. That's the way it is and will be.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    But if you have a "switched" GTE that is now a GTO, it is still an original old car and can race with others from the period?

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I absolutely agree. I could see myself buying a good GTO replica if it was properly built as I will never in a million years be able to own a real one. That way I could experience driving one. But I would definitely, at all times, have a little sign like you suggest. There is a role for well-built replicas but that role is not to pass themselves off as real.

Onno

8. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Can someone point me to a GTO that is 100% original, never been touched?

9. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    read a few pages back: 3647GT

10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Because of the one-off nature of the original GTOs, the replica might be a more accurate copy when compared to the one it was based on.

Just my opinion, but while I wouldn't commission an original 250 or 330 be converted into a replica, I wouldn't mind owning and driving one. I'm too honest though, and every time someone would offer a thumbs up, I'd have to disclose its origins.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari is the only one allowed to build a replica in their mind. Be it a body an engine or a whole car. Was it not the Italian court that ordered replica cars to be crushed? The best way to describe a replica is as a 1:1 scale model and stay out of Italy with it...
    CH

12. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    3647 may be "unrestored", but it was wrecked twice in racing, so it isn't "original, untouched" by any means.

13. 3406-kris

3406-kris Rookie

Sep 7, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Kris Kincaid
    While I know $5mil is over the top, 200k is a steal. If they offered it at 200k it would be on the market for all of 5 seconds, and that alone determines it's value.

Personally, I know what it is and I like it. :)

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree.

15. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Indeed. The 250GTO thread has a nice pic of it on its roof.

Onno