Exspensive Weekend | FerrariChat

Exspensive Weekend

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by willtel, Oct 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Happened last Saturday at the Nürburgring. Indeed, was painful to watch :(

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    It happens when you race them properly!

3. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Could have been worse. Glad no one was hurt. I do not know if any of you have driven a 50's or Early 60's Ferrari around a race track but they are manly cars and can be quite a handfull. I was much better on the track with my OSCA and Alfa than my Ferrari.

4. willtel

willtel Rookie

Apr 19, 2008
    I've never even ridden in a Ferrari, I do daily drive a Porsche 930 so I'm familiar with the handful thing. ;)

5. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Sad to see but probably not the first time those cars have had some body damage.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That should buff right out.....

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Awesome. I think its awesome that these guys are really racing , neck to neck ..

8. rudenoiz

rudenoiz Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    I was waiting for that...Thanks ROFL.

9. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I think it's great. Those guys are driving the tits off of their cars, having a great time doing so and mishaps are going to happen. They are just machines, albeit very pretty ones, at the end of the day and can always be fixed. It'll cost someone a pile of money, but in a few months those cars will look like nothing ever happened. Big deal.

I love my 308 and take great care of it, but I do run it in the canyons as it was meant to be used.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Seems very pathetic. Like using Grandpa's 80 year old fishing pole to enter a bass tournament. It snaps under the weight of the first fish. "Ha ha. No big deal."................... sad.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Panel beaters need to eat, too!

Or as Nick Mason said at Goodwood, "Well, it doesn't cost 30 million to fix it!."

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #13 Far Out, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The really amazing thing was that neck to neck racing was also performed with even more money at stake... the drivers of the SWB and the GTO battled for every centimeter ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    You know you aren't well off enough when you "pucker" just looking at the pictures... I can't even imagine the feeling.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The more I look at those pictures, the more I think that it's a pathetic, unnecessary waste of historic machinery. It's almost like these guys get some sort of sadistic joy out of smashing an expensive car just so they can shrug their shoulders and act like it's no big deal to them because they've got the big bucks to repair it. How hypocritical to admire these cars, restore them to perfection, then deliberately put them in harms way where they will most certainly be damaged just because you CAN do it and CAN afford it. Extremely sad.

15. Tom LaPointe

Tom LaPointe Karting

Dec 29, 2005
    Tampa, FL - Go Bucs!
    Full Name:
    Tom LaPointe
    I agree; great to see the cars doing what they were built for.

16. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004

Get a life. They're just cars.

17. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I do wheel to wheel racing with the POC. I've never done vintage racing, but have been told that since it's hard to fill the grids with the cars people want to see, that there is a wide range of talent, or lack of, between the drivers. That there are some real boneheaded moves made by guys with more money than sense. That SWB looks out of sorts to the position of the GTO. Driving at 9/10ths would be just as much fun and provide just as good of a show as trying to keep it at 11/10ths with the ass hanging out. That's what drifting is for. I love to race, but I try not to be stupid about it.

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    If they are indeed JUST cars,....how come everybody throws a big hissy fit whenever one appears that turns out to be a replica built in Holland or New Zealand? Cries of FAKE, FRAUD, piece of junk,...."Look, the grill opening is 3 millimeters wider than an original".......and other such knee jerk nonsense. Yet somebody treats a restored original like a junkyard derby car and no complaints?

Instead of "getting a life",....maybe somebody else needs to "get a car" that is more deserving of being beaten to pieces on the track.

Do these guys eat baked condor for dinner?

19. mbhw

mbhw Karting

Jan 17, 2008
    New York
    While I see both sides of the story, I still think it's better to see them race and crash as opposed to being a museum piece that only a handful of lucky souls ever get to see in person.

20. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    They're cars. Run 'em if you can afford it. They don't do anybody any good sitting in a museum.

Tom W

21. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Rode hard and put away wet and wrinkled.

Sounds like the ballad of the inflatable love doll.

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    FWIW, I think the same way about vintage aircraft. Restore them and fly them with respect, not flogged to the max with aerobatics. Many fine vintage aircraft have been destroyed by hot dogging at public air shows (and many killed as well).

23. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Personally, I don't see the point in risking machines of such enormous financial AND historic value. There are vastly better machines, if speed and competition is your MO.

But, such is the nature of freedom and these eggs are going to get cracked in exercising that freedom. Can't argue with that.

24. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #25 Ferri, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017