Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Official Thread: 250 GTO Rebody on GTE s/n 3873

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by ferrariguy, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I may be one of the few here to think so, but $2.5M is a cheap way of recreating the GTO experience, assuming a bolt-for-bolt replication. I say this from the perspective of having driven a real GTO as my daily driver for a number of years. I didn't buy the car for its financial value or the impression it made on others, but for the sheer excitement the car generated each time I turned and pushed the ignition key.

I haven't heard anyone bemoan the fate of the SWB body that was sacrificed for the Breadvan. Yes, that car raced and the modification was done in period resulting in an enhanced value. However, if we consider what value there is in pleasing oneself--as opposed to concours judges, portfolio-istas or theorists of all sorts--it may be seen that a sincere duplication can have a great value to the one who gets to drive it.

2. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
  3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is a very similar 250 GTO in DC which looks amazing and if I hadn't heard about it before I walked into the service area I don't know if I could tell it was a replica, although I am far from an expert on the subject.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Funny how "fake" has morphed to "replica" has morphed to "recreation" has morphed to "reinterpretation" has morphed to "tribute." Alas, replicas seem to be gaining wider acceptance at previously selective events like California Mille, Colorado Grand and even Goodwood Revival. Hey! They're newer and better, right?

Jack (curmudgeon)

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #55 msdesignltd, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
    http://www.autotraderclassics.com/details?adId=90189702

Went to Check out a few cars at Champion this week....and this repro, for lack of a better word took my breath away...The balance of the body lines compared to the original is perfect...I believe it fooled the best of them until the owner announced that he had his original copied for fear of track damage...Can someone post the real story....

A MUST SEE if you can...

6. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    I once heard about a guy in Europe, England, I think, who had an exact replica of his 250 GTO built so that he could enjoy the learning process of driving it and getting to know it, without the sorrow-filled possibility of wrecking it during his 'education'. I don't know if this is that same car though. Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable Ferraristi can shed some light on the details.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

How much do they think it is worth ?

8. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This same vehicle was there about 6 months ago or so and was also on ebay for $5 million

9. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike

The description by Champion said it was that car

10. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    D'oh! Perhaps I should read the text in the provided link before I post next time. :)

11. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    IMO, the price would be the cost to physically reproduce a GTO, plus cost for the difficulty of putting together and managing the team to do it. Not sure if full dimensions are available or difficult to get, but IMO something like $5 Million is way too high... that buys a lot of Vintage Ferrari(s).

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not sure I agree there - For the following reason:

That must have killed any value..... ;) However:

If that's true - There are 6 "new" cars out there - then that's still a pretty elite group.

just my 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - It took my breath away as well - Thanks to the OP!

13. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    That's a stunner for sure. Got to be the best replica GTO I've ever "seen." Thanks to the O.P.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #64 Napolis, Oct 8, 2008
    The car IMO is worth about 200K. It's been for sale for years. Last time I saw it it was leaving on a flatbed after being hit by a
    car as it left Quail's parking lot (Not Lawn).

The idea that it's worth 5 million IMO is sad, stupid, and silly. The odds of it selling at that price are IMO ZERO.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nose is a little on the high side no ?

But it is definitely the best i have seen. For $200k, it would make an awesome daily driver.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#66 Kds, Oct 8, 2008
    It "is" a beautiful tribute to the original Daytona.......I sorta had a figure of $3-400K to duplicate one in my head......and Jim is at $200K already built......so maybe we're both right. You usually can count on buying stuff like this for 50 cents on the dollar after the fact.

17. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So there is nothing original about it? Its not even a donor 250 remade into a GTO? Just a completely custom fabricated 250GTO? Looks amazing but without it being real how could it possibly be worth 5mil!?

18. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  19. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #69 ferrarip4, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #70 msdesignltd, Oct 8, 2008
    Hate to say it, the imposter looks better...

hated to say that

seems like the real one has rear flares and only 2 side forward vents

21. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I was thinking the same thing actually. The replica has everything reproduced for what appears to be an exact attention to detail and proportion. And it looks totally new and clean. It's probably the best replica of a Ferrari ever created.

22. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    There were lots of variations on GTOs and no one looked like another, that's for the side vents... Also in certain cars some vents were added and then removed (3589GT comes to mind) The point is to look at the general proportions of the copy and compare it to a real one. We must not forget that real GTOs are 46 or so old and must show patina (except for the over restored ones). Patina is a big part of the value of a 250GTO: the rare 2-3 ones that have not been restored are the ones that command the crazy prices ($28 Million or so).

I, for my part like the "bare" look of the real car as it was meant to be a race car (no mats, perplex windows, bare aluminium...). Also you can enjoy the V12 symphony better ;-).

23. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #73 ferrarip4, Oct 8, 2008
  24. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    Personally, that appeals much more to me then the polished, restored versions. Real history, Real vintage, Real Pedigree, Real Ferrari.

25. Ferariguy3

Ferariguy3 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    Yorktown, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    #75 Ferariguy3, Oct 8, 2008