Dino Saga 080914 _ A clock that WORKS | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080914 _ A clock that WORKS

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080914 _ A clock that WORKS

First thing to do was to pull my old clock. Had it fixed and then broke it. Has just plugged the hole lately. Set my old clock next to the new one and took a look. Big things were fine. Case was same diameter and same depth. Back of case was different, power was on the side, not near center. Movement would not transfer easily so had to use new case. Panel clamp would need modification. Clamp is mild steel and a simple bend in a vise would narrow things nicely. Looked at front. Dial, hands and setting knob looked the same at first glance. Should have looked closer. See photo. Started in.

Bezel popped off new clock easily. Lens and holder were trapped by the setting knob. Old knob was a push-on to shaft with a double flat. No sign of any flat and gentle pulling did nothing. Shaft was same diameter as old one. Grabbed shaft with smooth pliers and pried knob with long nosed pliers. Finally let loose showing knurled end on shaft. Never designed to come off. Well, shaft was too long for old knob so pulled lens and grabbed knurling in vise, filed double flat on shaft and cut off knurling. Old knob fit fine. Fished out light diffuser and removed hands. Removed 2 screws and dial came right off. Cut mouse hole at 6 and trimmed dial at 12. Put dial and trimmed light diffuser back on movement. Added hands and looked pretty good. Let run overnight and it KEPT TIME!

Trimmed lens bezel so it fit upside down and pushed it into the body. Time to move to the old clock. Unsoldered the wire holding the chrome ring, removed ring and the outer bezel fell off nicely. Outer bezel fit new housing just fine and knob relief worked out perfectly. Measured the thickness of the 3 flanges that were supposed to be clamped by the chrome ring: 0.100”. Measured the inside of the chrome ring: 0.090”. No way! Got out the magnifiers and took a good look at the chrome ring. It is a brass U channel with different length U legs. The long side goes to the front, short to the back. I needed to open the back leg up a little so we had a V. Had to make a tool. Got a piece of 0.125” stainless welding rod and made a 30 degree arc just under the chrome ring radius. Bent two handles to grip with. Pressed this tool into the chrome ring and rocked until the back leg moved. The tool prevented kinking and it only took a few minutes to get a ring that fit just fine Slipped ring over three flanges and ends missed by about 0.020”. Close enough!

Got out the soldering iron and a new piece of wire. Tacked one end, squeezed hard and tacked other end across ring gap. Done. Looked OK and still ran. Modified the panel bracket and put the clock in the panel. Put panel back and shot a last picture. Downloaded all pics and took a look on the big screen. The first picture should have been studied way-back-when. Turns out that the dial marking and the hands are slightly different between the two clocks. Original markings are slightly finer, new are bolder. Old hands have a crease down the center and are slightly narrower, New are flat and wider. Old is better.

Oh well! I have the proper dial and hands on the old clock. One of these days I will have to pull the panel and I can always fix things if the clock face gets to me. In the meantime, IT RUNS and even keeps time. First time in 15 or so years. Thanks Stephen.

John.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Good job, and another interesting saga! Maybe I'll get around to working on mine someday. Meanwhile, it's right twice a day.

3. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Excellent work! Why didn't you unscrew the face from the original and install on the new? Looks like it would have fit.

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I believe hands and dial would have fit perfectly. Next time I take the panel out, I will swap hands and dial. Didn't realize how marked the difference was until I looked at the pictures. By that time, the clock was in and looked good. Old eyes don't work so well anymore. That was Monday. 6 days later, still on time, still looks good. No rush.
    John

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Another fantastic Corbani saga that shows how easy it is to do!
    That bezel is the trucky part - WHERE did you get the tooling for that task?

They do fit and even if you use a later "donor" quartz movement the Veglia clocks evolution progressed with a narrower spread of the mounting holes on the later cores BUT still retained the original plastic mold risers where the old screw mounts are located in the old place so that you just need to tap a holes there and the face easily attaches.

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What model car/clock can i obtain a "donor" quartz movement from?
    G P

7. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #7 John Corbani, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    The clock Stephen sent me was 24-4220, the number on the dial in pic#2. Don't know any other numbers. Don't know where to get another one. Don't know what it was originally supposed to go in. It was never used.
    John

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    John,

I have no desire to work on my clock, which works sometimes and sometimes doesn't, but thought I should comment on the great pictures you posted. They are fantastic. Thank you.

Andy
    Manila

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 synchro, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
    Great Corbani innovation!
    I did a SEARCH in the Dino section and found this thread that reveals sources
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89987

It also shows some Dinos have the Quarzo face