Buying a used Maserati Quattroporte | FerrariChat

Buying a used Maserati Quattroporte

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by vnttg, Sep 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    Hi, I decided to sell my Mercedes CL 500 and am thinking of buying a Quattroporte for a change. I do not plan to purchase it new since prices on used Maseratis are of great bargains. I am setting my sights on either 05 or 06. I thank you in advance for your inputs.

2. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Skip the 05.

I would go for a 06 Sport GT myself. Good luck!

3. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    Thanks, Prancing. Well, almost a week, one reply!

4. Got Wind

Got Wind Rookie

Sep 4, 2008
    Yorkshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I had an 05 QP and it was awesome. Sure the duo select change wasn't perfect but you adapt to it and I found it perfectly usable. That being said, I never had to pay to have the clutch replaced and depending on usage and driving style it might need changing every 15 - 25k miles perhaps.
    It's a great drive though, more like a big GT; I've driven several DB9's and I enjoyed the QP more. I'd definately have another one but if I could afford it I'd go for a newer one with the full auto box. In 2 or 3 years time a used one should be quite affordable.

Whichever one you go for you will not be dissapointed. get the Grigio Nouvolari if you can; the silver with a hint of bronze looks just beautiful.

Good luck.

5. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    Thank you.

6. ajacobazzi

ajacobazzi Karting

Aug 1, 2003
    I've had my 07 Sport GT for nearly 2 years now. I traded a 512 and an S430 for it. Because of a growing family, the only time that the 512 saw the road was for a trip to Starbucks. The QP Sport GT was like merging the two cars together. I've choosen to lower it a little, had some computer work done, Tubi exhaust and aftermarket wheels to give it a sportier edge. A true 4 door sports car as far as I'm concerned. I LOVE IT!

7. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    What is the difference between QP 06 and QP 07? A lot improvement? Thanks.

8. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I believe the big change was the addition of the automatic gearbox. A ZF 6 speed automatic/torque converter type rather than a Cambiocorsa equipped box. Also the transmission was moved up from the rear axle to the engine. I think they got rid of the dry sump on the engine as well.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    you are 100% correct as long as you meant that

1. they offer both cambiocorsa (f1) and auto (zf torque converter)
    2. Transmission being moved forward and non drysump motor is only on auto (zf converter) cars

10. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, I would think that would affect the weight distribution by moving the transmission forward on the automatic car. I'll have to do some research. I've also noticed that QP prices have been dipping into completely doable range. The increased potential maintenance on the f1 compared to a full on slush box (sorry to use the term, I know modern automatics are a far cry from their predecessors) would have to be considered as well.

M

11. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So did some quick research on Edmunds.com (unfortunately, I couldn't locate weight distribution figures) and found some interesting stats:

'05
    396 HP 326 ft-lbs 4375lbs

'07 GT Auto
    400 HP 339 ft-lbs 4387lbs

'07 GT Duo Select
    400 HP 332 ft-lbs 4343lbs

There is a slight increase in weight to the auto, and I would really like to see what it does to the weight distribution.

12. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    After some research, I believe I can get a QP 06 at around 60s. I have learned from this thread that 07 is better than 06, and 06 is better than 05 (well, obviously!). Hope some of you can offer me more insights on 06. Thanks.

13. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Weight distribution is still very good for the auto, 2% change.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/14/detroit-auto-show-maserati-quattroporte-automatic/

via autoblog / Maserati PR

14. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
  15. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Front mid-engine design. Motor is placed behind the front axle centerline.

16. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I've heard from my Ferrari dealer that the 20" wheels on the Sport GT and GTS get bent very easily, is that true?

17. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yes that is true. I have a client that has gone through for wheels from pot holes in Manhattan. I would think that they are easier than most wheels but not overly easy to bend. It is not like going over a little pot hole is going to destroy them. Just have to be careful due to the low profile tires.

18. efe360

efe360 Formula Junior

May 19, 2008
    barcelona
    Full Name:
    F
    VNTTG

Sorry for my english.......

I have a GTS of 07.
    It´s fine and very aggressive. The line is amazing.
    But it has a defect:
    it´s very low and it touches the cup of the oil in all the ramps of increase and of descent.

Whit respect of GT , the Maserati dealer have confirmed to me , that the GT Automatic one is preferable that the Duo Select. The gearbox is very sudden. Is ok for the 430 but not for a Quattroporte.

f.

19. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    Thank you, EFE 360. I currently drive a Ferrari 456 (and used to own an even "lower" Testarossa), so I think I can handle the Quattro. The trick is to go by the angles. However, I also drive a Range Rover more often, so sometimes you do forget that there are bumps along the roads while driving the "lower" car. Another factor is the city where I live does not have a lot of ups and downs unlike San Francisco (or perhaps Barcelona). And yes, I have been actively looking for 07 GT Automatic.

20. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    #20 SJN2004, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
    My first impression on the test drive before buying the car was what a load of cr@p is said about this gearbox by journo's etc. I don't find it jerky, remember this car is really a four door sports car, not a four door limo (which a lot of the mainstream magazines seem to not understand). As for the differences between the automatica and duoselect?

Automatica

- easier around town and heavy traffic
    - less worry about F1 pumps and relays
    - your wife could even drive it(quasi joke)

Duoselect

- dry sump engine (as it should be in a sports car)
    - perfect front / rear balance
    - slightly higher top speed and 0-60 times.
    - don't drive it in automatic mode

As for the Sport GT, some UK testers (Evo) say that the 20 inch wheels mess up the handling as the skyhook system can't cope with them.

One thing that amazes with the car is the handling in tight/sharp corners. In the last week on two occasions I've had a Merc CLK and another time a Volkswagen Golf in front who thought "big fat car, I'll drop him easy around these tight bends". Both were on the ragged edge/limit while I had to continually take my foot off the accelerator to avoid rear ending them while having only one hand on the steering wheel.

These links make good reading;

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/60641/alpina_b5_v_cadillac_ctsv_v_maserati_quattroporte.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/67221/maserati_quattroporte_v_bmw_m5_v_mercedes_cls_55.html

21. efe360

efe360 Formula Junior

May 19, 2008
    barcelona
    Full Name:
    F

I hope you should find it.
    You will enjoy.

f.