I'm sorry, but you're too good to pitch. | FerrariChat

I'm sorry, but you're too good to pitch.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TexasF355F1, Aug 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  2. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 rollsorferrari?, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    darn, he's too young to draft, :) seriously though, this kids got a bright future ahead of him, i think they should let him pitch the rest of the season, and then after that, he can find a select league team to join, a team where there's more competition. i wish i could throw a 40 mph fastball at 9 years old...i can top out at about 70 right now (that's without coming anywhere near the strikezone, :D) this kid's gonna top that by the time he's 11, and that's great for him

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree. I hope this doesn't discourage him.

I'm not sure where this is, but I played little league with kids that threw 40mph around his age. My cousin could throw a 70mph fastball at 13.

Someone should tell the parents of the other kids that their kids just flat out suck.:)

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    they should bump the kid up an age bracket or 2...

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It's a kids league, if the ENTIRE other team doesn't make contact once, why play? When you're young and in a public league you play by those rules. He can enter into a different league if he wants/ can but I agree the other team packing up and leaving is a bit odd. Why would the boys coach put him on the mount and force the other team to leave? Ego? It's not even his kid?

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Oh you poor, poor uninformed sheep. If you go to the thread in P&R you'll see that this is the works of a liberal agenda.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

It happens in the major leagues, right ?

I always want to play people that are better than me, it raises my game. Golf, Tennis, board games, whatever.

If he can throw like that, then you develop someone that can hit him. (hit the ball, that is)

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oops, sorry, read the thread title and assumed it had something to do with the Cardinals bullpen

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If the kid is THAT good, then how many kids will hit off of him? 2%? 5%? So 95% of the kids don't play at all of the sake of 5%? That's not how "kid leagues" work.

And it doesn't happen in the majors because that's a different level where only the best play.

10. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    yes it does happen in the majors, 15 players have thrown perfect games, does that mean the next time randy johnson takes the mound the other team should just forfeit? the only thing that makes you better is challenge. if you're up there hitting against a pitcher who you go 4-4 off of every time, are you getting any better? but, if you're challenged, and you manage 1 hit, that 1 hit will teach you more about timing and tracking pitches than you'll ever learn against someone that's too easy. just remember, even the best hitters only get a hit 1 out of every 3 at bats, :)

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When does a team leave the ball park because of a player on the other team being too good?

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    "When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left...."

Shame on this coach. This isn't the way to teach children about perseverance and resiliency.....

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Right he should have taught them to step into a pitch or two so they could get on base.. :D

14. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    I'm sorry but your kid is messing up the grade curve for all the other students, he has to go.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #15 wax, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Clearly, those wussies should be in a T-Ball League, then.

Proved time and again by my "knothole league" and "little league" team's and opponent's tiny Home Run Gods, when facing pitchers worth their salt [problem], a lighter bat is in order [solution].

See, most wee-leaguers have exactly one swing, as they're dreaming the ball is going to get to that one spot.

I figured several things out up close and personal even before playing "knothole league", beginning by watching a neighbor rifling ball after ball into the same spot one day after school... then found out he was on my Brother's Little League team. Man, he could nail that one spot [low and outside] all day long, which, by his own admission worked in his favor as long as opponents didn't swing low and outside. Taken by The Game, I volunteered to be batboy for my Brother's Little League team. Every practice, at the end, they'd let me bat. He started throwing wuss-balls. I demanded to him and the Coach that the pitcher throw as hard as he could. If I was going to get a hit, I was going to earn it. Reluctantly, they caved in. Damned if I did get hits off him. Consistently, too. Still remember the guys on the Team and the Coach going ape**** happy, as I wasn't supposed to be old enough to be doing that. You know, swinging where the ball is.

Here's what I and naturally suspect Jericho Scott learned early on:

[1] Balls thrown really hard are fastballs.
    [2] Balls thrown hard or soft, whether swung at and missed or simply stared at while it sailed within the strike zone are called strikes.
    [3] Balls thrown hard or soft, simply stared at while it sailed outside the strike zone are called balls.
    [4] Balls thrown hard or soft and successfully hit, then cleanly sailing between fielders are called hits.
    [5] Many hits are lucky, because batters swing in the same spot, every time.
    [6] Watch batters to see where they swing.
    [7] Remember where they swing.
    [8] Don't pitch there.

Condensed common sense: throw 'em hard where they aren't swinging, and within the strike zone and I'll be able to strike out as many batters as possible.

So, that's what I did.

Common sense apparently didn't apply to would-be batters.

So, in order to keep my teammates busy aside from practice, what our Coach volunteered to opposing teams in the mid to late sixties was as follows;
    Use a lighter bat and learn to follow the ball and swing at it, not the same ol' spot you're hoping the ball shows up at, because [wax] remembers where you swing, and can and will pitch around where they are not swinging, like a pitcher is supposed to do.

I still threw perfect games [all strikeouts, as contact with the ball was nonexistent] and no-hitters provided there was a rare walk, save for one game when Big Joe Avila got a hit. As soon as I let the ball go, I knew. Armpit high, right where he had his one and only swing, even while using a lighter bat, as advised. I wasn't disappointed - I really wasn't - but, boy, was the right fielder surprised. I can still see it now, forty years later.

Though I sometimes wonder if the Coach and Joe would remember those days gone by, as well, I know the feeling of giving it 100 percent, as I can see it and feel it in Jericho Scott's face, clear as day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    great post! that really sums it up.

17. Xeno

Xeno Rookie

May 11, 2005
    I bet the other coach was pissed because he didn't get the player.

18. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    what a ***** coach! Bet this kid will end up in the MLB in the not-so-distant future! :D

19. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    You guys are not looking at the big picture. This is little league. These are 9 year olds. Not the MLB. It's supposed to be "fun". What fun is playing against a team when 98% of your kids can't even hit the ball? Why bother to even play? I'd like to see Jerico try to hit a 40mph fastball. I bet he can't.

Bump him up in age group.