Know of solar panel or windmill installers in Miami ? | FerrariChat

Know of solar panel or windmill installers in Miami ?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by WILLIAM H, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thinking of adding a windmill & solar to my warehouse & maybe apt in Miami

Thanks

2. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    No, but if there's a big market for that, I'll start the company with you that provides such things :D

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I am totally for it as well.
    I will do some research.
    If anybody has some political cloud there is one thng that needs to be passed through the State:

At present you cannot 'feed' the FPL system and get money for what you put in. This is very common throughout the civilized world. You can actually install solar panels on your roof and feed the system through the day with all overage you have and get money from the power company. Works like a reverse electric meter. They read your usage and read your input.
    Daytime use is the highst draw on the system. At the same time that is the best time to create solar overage and sent it into the system. You can build a solar system that only works during the day and get rid of the batteries which are the biggest issue in the solar power systems and also the one environmental problem that is commonly overlooked.

William:
    since your family is in the electric business, I applaud you for your foresight. I hope you think bigger and instead of getting the off-shore ares released for drilling we should get them released for wind power plants.

4. ajacobazzi

ajacobazzi Karting

Aug 1, 2003
    William,

You can contact Michael Jacobazzi at Roofing Concepts Unlimited/Fl., Inc. at (954) 786-9350. We're currently in for permits to install a 25KW system on our facility in Coral Springs.

He'll be in the office tomorrow after 2PM. He's flying to Vero Beach tomorrow morning to meet with Piper Aircraft to discuss the installation a solar system on they're facility.

He'll be able to best answer any questions that you have. I do know that the State of Florida has a $100,000.00 rebate towards the installation of renewable energy systems.

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Jay Leno has some solar panels and a PacWind windmill on his 16k sq ft warehouse

I emailed them to see if they have installers in FL

I want to do solar on the warehouse & my house in CT but photovoltaics are not that efficient

there are new solar shingles and other devices that may be better at getting solar energy than solar panels

6. ajacobazzi

ajacobazzi Karting

Aug 1, 2003
    Obviously you've done some homework on solar, and I'm personally no expert, but, I honestly haven't heard that photovoltaics were not that efficient. Actually, everything that I've heard is quite the opposite. But, if you're in the electric business, as I believe that Martin had stated, you likely may have more specific knowledge on the matter than I.

I don't believe that there are many other options, besides a "rack" system that can be utilized in South Florida (as far as solar is concerned). Unlike the rest of the country, anything used in Florida has to 1) Meet the Florida Building Code 2) Have Miami-Dade County Product Approval 3) Meet certain wind uplift requirements.

My two cents anyway. I would encourage you to speak with Michael, for he could offer you a more intelligent conversation on the matter.

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #7 SonomaRik, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    I like what this person has done with low power, less expensive wind. Been watching him for years and now he has a large contract in Chicago. The DNA structure works in high, low, med. wind and either vert or horizontal. No bearing problems.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPQkhDE8eY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rW9p7yBJC0U

take a couple min. to check it out.

As for Solar, there is a new line of AMERICAN mfgrs doing spray on all-light made to order panels. You select the design, and they cut and spray. nanosolar was the first in our area, owned by the Yahoo or google folks I believe, but the one in MA is shipping.

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Wind in Miami ? We dont have any wind LOL

9. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    I have a friend of mine that owns Atlas Solar Power Systems in Pompano and his materials are actually solar film that is adhered directly to the roof. It comes in rolls and meets Dade County Building standards as well as hurricane requirments (his company was selected by Dade County to do the actual code testing for this product).

Based on the overall area of the roof will deterine the amount of energy that can be captured,stored and used during the day. Advanced Roofing in Fort Lauderdale also has a solar division and has began installing these systems on new Publix Green Market stores. Its the same identical material and has a roof life of about 20 to 25 years. The companies that are manufacturing the current materials are back-logged with orders for about 2 years. Based on a solar conference that was held in San Fransisco that I attended in April of this year, a new generation of film that produces more power is just around the corner and will out-perform the current products in the market. They expect these new materials to be available by the first of the year so it may be a good idea to wait rather than rush now to purchase one of these systems.

Based on the overall cost there are emerging companies that will install the system, own it, and maintain it and charge you by the kilowatt hour just as FPL does but at a much lower cost. The advantage to the consumer is they realize a lower cost of energy and for the company it allows them to amortorize the system over many years (15 on average) and once they have reached their recapture point, the monthly income is all gravy. These companies are very active at present on the west coast and are sprouting up all over the east as we speak. What we will start seeing are green energy companies opening all over the state giving FPL some vigorous competition which in theory really isn't a bad thing.

10. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    It's only a matter of time before one of the pshyco eco-modders applies that film to the roof and hood of his Prius.

11. htb3

htb3 Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Tom

12. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
  13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    You may want to contact United Solar Ovonic in Greenville, MI.
    http://www.ovonic.com/

They make thin film photovoltaic material. They should be able to set you up with an installer in your area.
    -Skip

14. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I've been looking into doing panels at my house for the last couple of years and have met with allot of resistance from the city of Plantation. I'd be happy if they just ran the A/C units on a sunny day.

15. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    They cannot stop you as long as you comply with the S-FLBuilding Code.

16. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Michael:

One of the updates in the now 2009 Prius is solar cells integrated into the roof that will supplement the battery packs when parked and help run the A/C system on the road.

Scottie

17. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Isn't that what they put into some Ferrari roof to run a ventilation fan while the car is stationary in heat?
    Makes perfect sense.

Too bad that the US Auto makers did not realize that that is the future and are so far behind the ball that they are losing $1B in a quarter of a year. Maybe Exxon can buy them out with the $12B they made last year. At least then e do not have to go through crooked politicians to make us believe a 10Mpg Hummer is the answer to our energy crisis. We would all know WHY we get screwed and who is screwing us.

I also believe we should double the tax credits for Exxon-GM. They need it, that is for sure!

Instead of demanding higher gas mileage standards lets lower the standards and say you cannot sell any car in this Country that has a 20Mpg or better economy. It hurts the local auto makers, threatens jobs and is just plain 'unAmerican'.

18. ragiya

ragiya Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    ragiya
    Hi, I recieved two quotes. One from 3D solar that was 31 panels cost of 32,000. One from solar advantage 18 panels for 13,000! What is that about? Is it normal to get that big of a price difference?