Which F-Car will you buy in the next 10 years? | FerrariChat

Which F-Car will you buy in the next 10 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robb, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What Current or Past F-car will you DEFINITELY add to your garage within 10 years?

1. Enzo

2. F50

3. F40

4. 288 GTO

5. 599

6. 430 Scuderia

7. F430

8. 360

9. 612

10. 550/575

11. 456

12. 360 Challenge Stradale

13. California

14. Testarossa/512TR/512M

15. 355

16. 348

17. 512/365 Boxer

18. 328/308

19. Daytona

20. Vintage F-Cars

21. Ferrari Race Car

22. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Poll: Which current or past F-car are you so crazy about that you will DEFINITELY buy in the next 10 years and actually see it happening? You can vote for more than one car if that is your plan to add multiple cars.

Feel free to elaborate the why's and any thoughts on where you think pricing will go that you will have to work with.

I'm voting TR myself. I think the body is so distinctive that it will always be sought after. I don't see the prices dropping much further but likely headed back up during that time. Not sure where maintenance will be?

It will be interesting to see where the most interest will be and if that is a good fortune teller for future demand. Wonder what NNO will vote?

Robb

2. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Probably a 308GTB then I'll move up to a V12 Fcar probably a Testarossa.

3. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You and me both. The maintenance issues were the impetus for my choice of the 328. But for that there would probably be a TR in my garage right now. But "one of these days" it'll happen. I am a rookie, no doubt, but FWIW I think TR prices are now to the point that they're one of the best F-car buys for the dollar that are out there, maintenance aside of course. I also checked the 348, which I surprised myself on when I was shopping. I test drove one at SA basically just because it was there, and that is one darn nice car. I liked it to the point that I almost bought it instead. But, again, engine-out majors ruled the day and for my first toe-dip into F-car waters I went with the "safe" 328, and so far it was absolutely the right choice. But, again, "one of these days."

4. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    You left off the 430 and 599 replacements.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I really like the F430 scuderia & spyder

I'd love to see F do a Lotus Exige type car or a P4/5 derivative

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I love my red 308 but gotta have a black/burgandy one before i go tits up. A 360 for more of a daily driver will be nice and a bargain in a few years i hope.

When the Duvel kicks in late at night i find myself on the Countach thread so i've gotta get one of those too. The dark side is strong with that one.

7. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    CS for today, Scud for tomorrow probably!

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I like the 2+2s....have a Maserati now for that reason. Been thinking about GranTurismo but in the back of my mind I always wonder about the 612. If I were to buy a Ferrari thereofre it likely will be a 3-4 year old 612....perhaps in about 4 years so that I can get the refreshed model.
    ps. Don't tell Rob Lay though.....I told him the 612 doesn't add anything over the GranTurismo... :)

9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Let's consider the Other Selection to include "Future" F-Car designs. Just add a post detailing what model range you will be looking toward.

Robb

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    #10 M.James, Jul 30, 2008
    A Mondial Coupe, post-1983 with undercoating/galvanized steel, and preferably a blown/junked 3.0 or early Mondy-8 engine, to be replaced with a ported/polished 3.2 litre higher-compression sleeper with modern Ignition/injection systems, fresh tan leather interior, 16" wheels shod with Pirelli's latest compound, rebuilt suspension/steering rack, Rosso Corsa finish, and bright quad headlamps for long-range touring. A stylish, reliable, practical and under-valued Italian Grand Tourer.

BTW, I HIGHLY doubt many of the 'modern' F-cars on your list will even be running in ten years - many of these machines will be sidelined with poorly-designed and obsolete ECU/Fuseblock/engine-management computer issues.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have no clue where I'll be in 10 years. Ideally I'd like to be in a position to afford a CS.

But I voted for 512, 348, F355, F430 as possible other options depending on where I'm at. If I'm able to afford an F-Car in 10 years I will say I've attained my goal well before I would have expected.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #12 Bullfighter, Jul 30, 2008
    That's my thought as well. I think by the ~1995 model year cars became electronics showcases and are basically disposable. Even the handsome 550 puts me off for that reason.

To the answer the original question:

The 328 is the best production Ferrari since the Daytona, and better from a driveability perspective. Until you get to stuff like an F40 or 288 GTO, the 328 is the most desirable car on your list for all the usual reasons: computer-free, real manual gearbox, body-on-frame/"workshop" style construction, reasonable reliablity, iconic looks, usable performance limits for most of us, easy to drive but still very involving, and an almost ridiculous raging bargain at current prices ($50K-$60K for a really solid, <30K mile example).

Looking over the list, the only other one that I'd consider writing a check for is a later 512TR, as I think by '93-'94 they had debugged the TR concept to the point where it approached the 328 in terms of reliability and durability. It probably loses the "prettiness" factor to the 328, but it wins on sheer visual audacity. Beyond the mechanical upgrades, I think the tidied up rear deck, nicer wheels and upgraded interior make that the one to have. In the low six-figure range, I think they're slightly overpriced right now. However if they hit the $80K mark (for a nice one) that would be the point for me where the 512TR becomes attractive, especially in black metallic. ;) The maintenance costs are ludicrous, but once you've deluded yourself into thinking that blowing $5,000+ on a 328 major is sane, then $8,000+ for the 512 TR can't be that much of a stretch.

Still, the Ferrari I really like the most is the one sitting in my garage as I type this. Now that I could have a 360 sitting there tomorrow, and considered those at some point, I'm always glad to get back into my 328. No magic in the new stuff, IMHO.

EDIT: I won't say I'm "definitely" going to buy a 512BBi, but it's one of those cars that, if the opportunity and the money came together at the right time, has a definite appeal for me.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #13 Robb, Jul 30, 2008
    Just a clarification: if you plan to add 1 f-car to your garage in the next ten years, then just check the one box that is the most likely candidate. If you think it is realistic to add several f-cars to your garage, then by all means, check the boxes that apply.

I like many if the cars on the list, but I am only likely to add one more f-car in that timeframe, so I only checked one box.

I think that will give us an unscientific look at what may become more desireable in the future. Although you can select as many boxes as you see fit, its not about what models you like, its what you think you will likely add.
    Sorry I left the Mondials off the list. Maybe a moderator can add that category to the poll.

Thanks. The results are getting interesting.

Robb

14. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    i would like to pick up a fly yellow 355. 6speed car because i do not like F1 shifting on the street. lightly modded with the normal intake and exhaust mods. i am not a fan of the 360 onwards due to the cars becoming what i call " X-wing fighters". lame star wars reference i know, but thew are packed with computers and driver aids. i am only 27 and the specific reason i bought a 308 at 21 was because it is timeless and because its a mechanical car. NOT a electronic car. easier to live with and drive from day to day without the headache of the glitches that are sure to come late in a computer cars life.

the 355 was the ferrari on the streets when i got my license. and since then i have always wanted one. so i plan on grabbing one up in the next 5 years or so.

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Michael and Jon,

Can you explain what you think may go wrong with the electronics of the newer cars that will make them more "disposable"?

Will there be a lack of replacement parts, lack of dated computer products for service and diagnostics or just departure from that technology with few people trained to work on them?

The challenge stradale is in the lead so we'll see if others that are hoping to add the newer cars can add their thoughts on maintenance down the road.

Robb

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I voted F50. The 288gto was my first choice, but followed by a F40. I'm aiming really high to an Enzo, but I would rather have an F50 which is rarer and an open top with three pedals. I don't see how in the world will I ever be able to afford any of these ones, but I also never saw myself coming to existence, so anything is possible.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Here's a good start: http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200712_SS

If your timeframe is simply about having a great Ferrari to drive hard for a few years and then move on, none of this logic applies.

18. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    A white 430 Scuderia within half that time.

19. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe &amp; USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    #19 DaudiW., Jul 30, 2008
    For our next anniversay (my wife and I) are getting a 599 - it will replace her 3200GT and my 993 Turbo (sad to see the turbo go, but this 599 will be a special one.) We will make the purchase after new years and have it delivered at the end of the summer.
    She decided to choose the colors, and I choose the options - she wants it in bianco with bordeaux and white stitchings... shall see.. i've never seen one in white

interesting poll.. 5 of us are getting f50s and 5 are getting f40s.... not bad. wish i was in the market for either, but need to wait until the 599 is dealt with first.

20. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    where's the "love the one i have and hope to have it in 10 years"-option?

21. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I really enjoy my F355, she may not be the fastest or the best looking but she is perfect for me.

22. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe &amp; USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    but she is the best looking! :)

I will never get rid of mine.

23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks Jon for the link to the great read. Will need to make sure to take care of our good cars...

Robb

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #24 Robb, Jul 30, 2008
    Yes, VERY good looking AND fast. After the 328, one of my favorites!

Robb

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Testarossa for me however if I buy a Buick Grand National insead I might not buy one afterall :(