Best Restaurants You've Ever Been To | FerrariChat

Best Restaurants You've Ever Been To

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Ferrariguy2, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    List the top three restaurants you've ever been to. They can be located anywhere.

Mine:

1. Alinea - Chicago (just amazing)
    2. Red Square - Las Vegas (incredible 'Russian' dinning experience, ask about going into the walk-in Vodka freezer for a 'tasting')
    3. Mortons Steakhouse (ya I know its a chain) - Toronto location

2. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Top One- Ten years ago at Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, Kitchen Table. Never had an experience like it. Can't afford another one like it either.

3. JCM615

JCM615 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2005
    Knoxville,Tn
    Full Name:
    J C
    French Laundry, Sonoma; Highlands Grill (Frank Stitt's place), Birmingham; Commanders Palace, New Orleans (private dinner with my wife, the staff, and the keys to the cellar. 10 courses and 18 different wines and liquors. The two of us and 7 staff SLEPT there. I cherish the picture of Laura walking to the limo the next morning in Balenciaga and bare feet!!) What I wouldn't give up for another chance at that.

4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey cool, Fine Dining was tacked onto this forum when I wasn't paying attention.

The Hump in Santa Monica - best sushi I've had (and the most expensive unfortunately), and overall my favorite restaurant anywhere.
    Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills - also good sushi, but less ambiance than The Hump.
    Fogo de Chao in Beverly Hills - I know it's a chain, but excellent meat.
    House of Prime Rib in San Francisco - awesome prime rib.
    Delmonico's in Las Vegas - great steakhouse with a ridiculous wine list.
    Bandera in Westwood and Corona Del Mar - owned by Houstons but awesome food.
    ... and of course the Mortons, Ruths Chris', etc.

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Colombe d'Or ,Saint Paul de Vence,SouthernFrance
    Windows On The World,WTC,NYC
    FrenchShack,52nd[?]St,NYC
    all had atmosphere,surroundings,silverware,seating that were otherworldly
    and the food was fine,I'm easy to please
    I'd really like to be able to say FrenchLaundry[my s-daughter did,just getting the res was an event by itself]maybe one day.
    cheers,
    RE

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #6 whart, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
    I love Columbe D'or as a gracious, informal hotel, but don't think of it as a stellar restaurant. Frankly, though, hanging out in the South of France, in warmer weather, the idea of killer french cuisine is a little off-putting. The restaurant there does a nice job with simple dishes, and I'm ok with that. (We were there last for Christmas/New Years a year and a half ago, and the salad with truffles was probably about 75/plate then. Given the continued decline of the dollar relative to the Euro, it can only be more expensive).
    I'd be hard-pressed to name the absolute 'best' restaurants eaten at, only because there are so many places that are so wonderful for different things. Among the three stars, in france, I'd probably include Arpege, Grand Vefour, Georges Blanc and Lameloise, in Paris, Bresse and Burgundy respectively. But, there are some dives and cafes, in places ranging from Paris, to Lyon, which could hold their own in tasty food, if you ignore the room, the service and the overall ambience.
    I am seldom impressed with french cuisine in the US, but when Bouley opened the restaurant under his name in the late 80's in NYC, it was comparable to the gastronomic palaces of france. I still rate Joel Robuchon's bistro (which I've done many times, sit at the bar, not at the tables) as well as Daniel (which I haven't been to in years) as stellar. The service and ambience of Chanterelle was world class, but I don't consider it A+ cuisine, more like an A- with a very good wine list. One of the world's best hot dogs- Walter's in Mamaroneck, as well as the hot dog stand in the middle of Stockholm.
    There was also that chicken on a spit place in a dungeon-like room in Lisbon- phenomenal chicken, potatoes and spicy sauce, sit at long tables, a fabulous dive.

Hoodude likes this.
  7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    The Lobster Bar in Atlanta is at the top of my current list.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Fogo De Chao in Sao Paulo is 2X better than the one here.
    Dan Tana's, W. Hollywood
    Kreutz Market, outside Houston
    Peter Luger, Brooklyn NY
    Mon Grenier, Encino Ca

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Twigs, Blowing Rock NC is likely my #2. That place just rocks!

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Maison De Marc Veyrat
    13 Vieille Route des Pensieres
    Veyrier-du-Lac 74290 France

Without equal on this Earth.

11. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Have you tried Per Se, Thomas Keller's sister restaurant to The French Laundry?

12. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes. :)

Best: La Fontana - Prato, Italy

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yup, one of my favorites. I also like the New Orleans version, it has a lot more ambiance, same fabulous food.

I wonder how many F-Chatters know what you're recommending here? :) "Outside Houston" is a little misleading, it's significantly closer to Austin and San Antonio.

I'll never forget my first trip to Del Friscos in Dallas 15 years ago. I didn't know a steak could be that good. Of course, that was before they sold out to the major corporation.

14. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #14 BBL, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    ***ami - at the Phoenix Seagaia Resort, Miyazaki, Japan -- By far the best steak I've ever had.
    Taqueria Eduardo - San José, California -- A serious dive, even scary at times, but their tacos are fantastic.

edit -- Dang profanity filter! The steak place is spelled eff - yu - kay - ay - em - eye.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All's I remember is that we drove for over an hour from Bellaire and that it was well worth it! :)

We used to go out to Mo's too. :)

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Caterina's - Milwaukee

Small Italian place. Family run. Started by the dad when he came off the boat from Sicily. I know it is Milwaukee but it is THE best food I have eaten. After we moved to Madison, my wife and I used to drive over an hour for dinner every month. I have enjoyed meals in nice places in Italy, France, Spain, etc. but none have I enjoyed more than that little place.

From the start of antipasto to the Tiramisu served with a glass Frangelico on the rocks at the finish, I truly miss that place.........

17. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    VA, DC and Baltimore have a few good ones...
    Fogo De Chao in Baltimore is great.
    The Palm in Tysons Corner, VA is another great one
    The Oval Room in DC is another favorite

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Moto in Chicago...fun and exciting (think chemistry class involving food).
    Tru in Chicago
    Alex in Las Vegas
    Craftsteak in Las Vegas
    Maxims in Monte Carlo
    Le Grille in Monte Carlo
    NYC, there are lots of excellent restaurants but none are really the best I've ever been to. I've heard great things about Per Se, but haven't been there yet.

Best regards,
    Dino

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    West, No i haven't. When it opened, I couldn't take the hype, and honestly, I've never even set foot in the building. One of the joys of eating outside of the US is that high end restaurants in places like France and Italy don't abuse you; you can have the table for the night, no stupid waits to be seated. Many of the restaurants in NYC that are fashionable/trendy put people through the wringer. Not saying Per Se is abusive, just tend to avoid the ones that are fashionable here. (Unless I am confident that I am going to be treated right...).

Hoodude likes this.
  20. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    Blue Point in Atlanta across from Phipps Plaza has an awesome peanut encrusted grouper.....one of my favorites. Stoney River in Nashville is good also, its an OCharleys owned concept but you would never know it.

21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    It is gone now but Star Canyon in Dallas.

Another long gone restaruant in Seattle (don't remember the name). A friend of ours was the big investor and we were all together with us bringing the wine. Nothing we had was on the menu. Before each course the manager and the chef would sample what was going to be our next wine then go off and create something as a perfect pairing.

Maha Naga in Bangkok. Contemporary Thai.

Bel Guardo in Siam Paragon, Bangkok. Very Northern Italian that is incredibly clean in the preparations. White asparagus soup that was frothed.

That makes four when the request was for the top three.

Jeff

22. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Emerils in New Orleans. Sat at the "chef bar" and he personally cooked our meal. A lot of fun

Lowake Steak House, Lowake TX. Called the "best steakhouse in Texas" for a long time. Had their own private airstrip at one time.

Stubbs BBQ, Lubbock, TX. maybe not the best BBQ on the planet, but pretty damn good. Seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn and a host of other legends play there made it the best place on earth for me.

23. lvmike

lvmike Rookie

Mar 23, 2008
    Paris
    The best i've eaten in is "Pierre Orsi", in Lyon, France!

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Here's a few of our favorites:

Hugo's - Hong Kong
    Jimmys Kitchen - central district Hong Kong
    Ratskeller am Marienplatz - Munich
    La Noche - fabulous Italian food, balsamic vinegar - not much English spoken there - just outside Maranello

Best by far (eaten there on a couple trips and always worth it) - St. Gertrude's Cloister in Copenhagen - a 17th century monastery where you dine underground with candlelight only - tad bid pricey - about $300 USD for two but the food/atmosphere couldn't duplicated

Carol

25. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    #25 chet, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    I've been to the best in Paris, HK, NY etc but the best meal I ever had was at Alinea (Chicago). It blows Trotters away.