Ferrari going to post a Nurburgring/Nordschleife Time? | FerrariChat

Ferrari going to post a Nurburgring/Nordschleife Time?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GrndLkNatv, Jul 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Rumor has it that Ferrari is putting the F430 through the paces.. Rumor, not in this article, but via the grapevine, is that it's faster than the Vette and the GTR-VSpec by a very decent margin. Shumi put one into the guard rail at 155+ mph...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080728105621.shtml

Retired Formula One champion Michael Schumacher has continued his recent run of close calls at the wheel of high speed vehicles.

Following several falls as he enjoys semi-amateur motorcycle riding, it is now being reported that the 39-year-old German crashed a Ferrari road car last week while testing at the notorious Nordschleife circuit at the Nurburgring.

Last Tuesday, Schumacher was not injured when his prototype 430 Scuderia struck a guardrail and was written off, Bild newspaper said.

It is suggested that Ferrari was using the partially-damp circuit exclusively, when its former champion went off at more than 250kmh.

"Michael called me and said 'We have crashed the car but are going to continue with another one'," Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm confirmed.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    But Schumi won't race on an oval because of the walls?

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    That's awesome - I hope Schumi obliterates all the other times that have been posted lately by the GTR, ZR-1, etc, etc.

Of course, the bleating would then be "oh yeah, but Ferrari had to put Schumi in the car to achieve that".

Speaking of MS - how utterly awesome must it be that you can run a 430 Scud around the n-ring at full tilt, smack the wall and wreck the car, and just call Luca to tell him the car didn't make it, but they are using the backup.

Most folks baby their cars like they're made of solid platinum. Must be nice to use one like it was meant to be used and not even worry about cracking it up.

4. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

When he actually posts a fast lap, how cool would it be to see it on video

5. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #5 cantsleepnk, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    Nothing against Shumi but Ferrari need to give Sabine Schmitz a shot at this also. She knows the place better than anyone else.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    And she's better looking! :D She was on Top Gear last night.

7. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've seen videos of her flogging the M5 'ring taxi around....pretty amazing stuff. But i'd still put my money on MS

8. cantsleepnk

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick

+1

Either way I hope Ferrari shares the videos with us . Should be awesome watching Shumi in action.

9. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I have zero doubt that Schumi would obliterate any time Sabine could hope to set, by a GIANT margin.

Schumi can learn the track without much trouble. Sabine can't ever learn the skills MS has, nor can she learn the car itself like MS has.

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great stuff last night on TG, pity it was the last one for a bit, I really rate Sabine blew Clarkson off ,as in racing that is...:D

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I tend to agree, but would love to see it..

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Even *having* a backup is outrageously cool IMHO...... Not "the car's destroyed, please send another!" but "we're using the backup!".

I wonder if they're paying him to pound around there? [I'd volunteer for free :)]

Cheers,
    Ian

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I hope he obliterates every other roadcar time. If he can do it that would be amazing PR for ferrari

14. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All of the car companies (Nissan, Corvette, Porsche, etc...) are going to put their best test driver in the car to take a shot at the 'ring. It just so happens that Ferrari has a 7 time F1 world champion that can act as a "test driver" at their disposal. :-D

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If he can, we will know it. If he can't, it will have been a normal testing session.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lol...true.

i wonder if hans will have a go w/ a porsche gt-2? or rorhl?

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Horst von Saurma himself took a Scuderia around The Ring not so long ago.

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I think Röhrl would be the only real competition for Schumacher. He's old now, but he knows the track inside out, and he's one of the best drivers out there. Wasn't he rated "best rallye driver ever" or something like that?

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm a bit surprised by the mild title. I just started a new thread about the real story - Schumacher's crash - when I saw the coincidental Nuerburg title.

Oddly enough Ferrari denies that MS was driving when he totalled the car at Schwedenkreuz. Remember that's the place where some years ago we lost our FChat friends.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1000 I hope he obliterates it.

21. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Why would Ferrari try to run better N'Ring times in a "one-up" attempt when the Sport Auto time was already very respectable? The article mentioned a "prototype" for what it's worth. Perhaps testing something new in scud skin?

Does anybody have pictures of the car that they were running? The replacement is due out in a year.

22. cantsleepnk

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Awesome freaking engine noise. Thank You!

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I would love to see the expression on the GT-R project managers face when he heard the news....

"Fuji San, we found out that Ferrari is testing the 430 Scuderia at the n-ring! They are trying to beat our GT-R time"

"hahahaha, let them try... who did they get to drive?"

"Michael Schumacher"

<silence>

:D

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh, & BTW, he put it into the barrier........