IRL EDMONTON RESULTS SPOILER **** | FerrariChat

IRL EDMONTON RESULTS SPOILER ****

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Isobel, Jul 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Dixon, 1st. Castro-Neves, 2nd. Wilson, 3rd. Fat 40 year old loudmouth jerk, 4th. No lessons taught to him by Danica or Marco (who clipped his teammate after she slowed passing Roth) or anyone else currently participating in IRL ALL YEAR, as he jumped to 11th from 15th in the first lap. Highest placement in the race, 4th. Finished: 4th. Not bad for a Vision car prepped in a week.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The risks faced by the pit crews are just unacceptable. There were several CLOSE calls.

I liked the report that Marco had radioed in and said something like "STOP TELLING ME TO LET TONY PAST!" His head should roll.

3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I believe they were telling Danica to let Tony by, not Marco. Danica ignored the team's request.

4. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Both were told to let Kanaan by ....Danica claimed her radio wasn't working.

At least Danica didn't have to walk too far this time to rant in Marco's face.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the next AGR team meeting.

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

LOLZ

They all got owned by PT.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yep!! glad to see it. you think pt will give danica any respect on the track? lol, i hope there is an event that puts her in pt's face...he may punch her out!!!

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    "Fat 40 year old loudmouth jerk" Hmmmmmmmmmm........

This describes only one person on the racing circuit. Any racing circuit. I just can not stand this moron. Now the IRL is going ghetto, bummer.

What does this leave, NASCAR? No there is Kurt Busch. ALMS? No, there is....who races ALMS? DTM??? Ralf???

Just my late night opinion. :O

Remember, I do not give a rat's ass......:}

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    After a quiet weekend and an even quieter first half of the Rexall Edmonton Indy, Target/Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon came alive and drove to his fifth win of the 2008 IndyCar Series, beating chief championship rival Helio Castroneves into second place.

As Castroneves fell nearly six seconds adrift due to a late error, Dixon widened his championship lead to 65 points.

Justin Wilson took his first IndyCar podium in third, with Paul Tracy finishing a remarkable fourth after a charging drive on what is currently set to be a one-off return to the series.

Dixon had qualified fourth and ran there in the opening stages of the race as Castroneves passed his pole-sitting Penske teammate Ryan Briscoe for the lead on lap three while KV Racing's Oriol Servia maintained third.

The points leader got around Servia on the first round of pit stops but appeared to be no threat to the Penske duo, and especially Castroneves, who showed dominant pace as he led by as much as 11 seconds in the middle stages of the race.

"We definitely show ed we had a fast car," Castroneves said. "It was awesome, so much fun. The track really suits my style. We tried not to be conservative; we tried to pull away because, the way the points are, we have not much to lose."

But he did lose his comfortable lead on lap 48 when a full course yellow bunched the field. On the ensuing pit stops, Dixon jumped past both Penske cars into the lead.

"I'd sort of envisioned making a move on Servia early in the race, but it wasn't on." said Dixon. "He was quite a bit slower in race conditions than qualifying, so that enabled me to just stay behind him and save a lot of fuel. When the pit stop came we didn't need as much fuel as he did and so we got around him.

"It was kind of the same thing with the Penskes. I got behind Helio and Ryan, saved fuel and jumped them on the pit stop. That was the key moment of the race."

Given Castroneves' early speed, Dixon expected to have his work cut-out maintaining that lead. Indeed, the Ganassi car was unable to pull away by more than a second and Castroneves was always able to reel him in when he did. But approaching Turn 1 on lap 85, Castroneves locked his right front, slid wide and barely scrabbled around the corner.

"Running behind a guy like that your front tyres go away," said Castroneves. "Plus I was trying to save fuel, so I didn't know whether to try and pass him or play it conservatively.

"But my car was very consistent. What happened on that lap was just weird. I'm not sure, maybe I caught a gust of wind or something, but I braked in the same place and the car just took off."

By the time Castroneves had collected things and regained his rhythm, Dixon was a hefty six seconds up the road. And with the race distance shortened from 95 to 90 laps owing to time constraints, the race for first was effectively over.

"I got the radio transmission that he was six seconds behind." said Dixon. "That's a lot on this track with five laps to go. I think you saw my laps times slowed by about a second after that."

With Castroneves' error ending the battle for the lead, the fraught contest over the remainder of the top positions held the attention instead in the final moments.

After Briscoe spun down the order in a lap 56 restart encounter with Dixon's teammate Dan Wheldon, third place came down to an epic battle between Wheldon, Servia, Wilson (Newman/Haas/Lanigan) and Tracy (Vision) - the latter having charged from 16th on the grid thanks to his own assertive driving and sharp pit work from the Vision/Walker crew.

"Dan, Oriol and I were flip-flopping all race," said Wilson. "We were all saving fuel, and passing each other back and forth as one or the other would make his numbers and then press a little harder."

The battle was ultimately resolved not by Wheldon, Servia, Wilson or Tracy but Marco Andretti. The Andretti Green driver emerged from the pits on lap 81 after stopping for a new nosecone - having damaged his original nose on the left rear tyre of teammate Danica Patrick in an ill-fated overtaking move - only to slide into the grass exiting the Turn 2-3 chicane. He slid back onto the track on the entry to Turn 4 directly in Wheldon's path, whereupon the Ganassi driver braked in avoidance and got hit by Servia for his troubles, as Wilson scooted past both into third.

Wheldon proceeded to drop down the order in his crippled car, enabling first Tracy then a host of others - including a rapidly recovering Briscoe - to get past.

Then Servia slowed with a broken steering arm on the final lap (a legacy of his encounter with Wheldon's gearbox), enabling Tracy to motor past and claim a stunning fourth place finish in car he had never driven before Thursday for a Derrick Walker-led crew that had not worked together since Long Beach.

"I'm just super excited for the team," said Tracy. "They prepared this car in about a week and a half and I gave it a first class effort. With a little more practice and me not sitting on the couch for the last six months, maybe we could do better!"

Briscoe eventually came home sixth (although Dale Coyne Racing's Bruno Junqueira had been on course for the position until his car suddenly slowed with two laps to go) while Wheldon slipped to seventh at the chequered flag ahead of Rahal Letterman's Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Tony Kanaan came through from the back of the grid to ninth and like teammate Andretti and Vision's AJ Foyt IV even briefly led the race thanks to an alternative pit strategy, although it failed to put him into podium contention, partly because of a spin while leading on a restart with 35 laps to go.

Potential winner Will Power (KV) fell out of contention early on with bent suspension - with the same problem afflicting Graham Rahal on the opening lap. Both rejoined after repairs, although Rahal later ended up in the wall after being hit by an out-of-control EJ Viso (HVM).

Other notable incidents in the race included crashes for Vitor Meira, Townsend Bell and Hideki Mutoh, while both Jaime Camara and Mario Dominguez lost wheels as they rejoined after pit stops under yellow.

While hardly a death blow to Castroneves' title chances, Dixon's win - particularly on a day when Castroneves appeared to have the dominant machine - puts him firmly in the driver's seat for the 2008 IndyCar Series title. But he's not celebrating just yet.

"There four races to go and a 65 point lead is not that big when you get 50 points for a win," he said. "But it is a big margin if we're still running at the end of every race. And if we can win one or two more, that'll really put the final nail in the coffin."

Pos Driver Team Time
    1. Scott Dixon Ganassi 1h51:05.7039
    2. Helio Castroneves Penske + 5.9237
    3. Justin Wilson Newman/Haas/Lanigan + 13.4009
    4. Paul Tracy Vision + 28.1462
    5. Oriol Servia KV + 28.7132
    6. Ryan Briscoe Penske + 36.8816
    7. Dan Wheldon Ganassi + 41.8281
    8. Ryan Hunter-Reay Rahal Letterman + 42.1294
    9. Tony Kanaan Andretti Green + 43.0732
    10. Darren Manning Foyt + 43.3363
    11. Buddy Rice Dreyer & Reinbold + 48.3526
    12. AJ Foyt IV Vision + 50.1271
    13. Ed Carpenter Vision + 57.5967
    14. Bruno Junqueira Dale Coyne + 1:01.1009
    15. EJ Viso HVM + 1 lap
    16. Enrique Bernoldi Conquest + 1 lap
    17. Marco Andretti Andretti Green + 1 lap
    18. Danica Patrick Andretti Green + 3 laps
    19. Vitor Meira Panther + 6 laps
    20. Mario Moraes Dale Coyne + 6 laps
    21. Marty Roth Roth + 7 laps
    22. Will Power KV + 19 laps
    23. Jaime Camara Conquest + 23 laps
    24. Mario Dominguez Pacific Coast + 40 laps
    25. Townsend Bell Dreyer & Reinbold + 43 laps
    26. Graham Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan + 47 laps
    27. Hideki Mutoh Andretti Green + 64 laps

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    +100.

Did they ever and judging from the in-car, the car was a handful....

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sums up the Idiot Raging League and why nobody gives a darn.

11. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #11 yzee, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    Michael Andretti has to have a huge headache this morning. The Diva and his Son crapped on his best driver. The Son then takes the Diva out. Soon after the Son crashes. At one point on the radio Marco says, "If someone tells me to let him pass one more time there's going to be trouble". Relations with sponsors are certainly affected by poor results but this ongoing drama played out on the broadcast week after week has got to eventually make things worse. But then who am I to second guess anything within the IRL. They did have Gene Simmons do the start your engines thing. How cool was that?

12. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Didn't get a chance to see any coverage, too bad for me.

13. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    That's OK, it'll be on the front page somewhere!!!

LOL, NOT!!!!!

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Two thoughts I had during that race:

1) Castroneves has lost the last two races on strategy. Time for Cindric to stay in the head office back in Mooresville?

2) AGR hasn't been the same since Franchitti left. Fun, loose, all-for-one and one-for-all comraderie has become a selfish whinefest. I really hope Dario ends up back at AGR once his NASCAR debacle is over

15. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    Whether you like the guy or not, you've got to admit that PT is one hell of a race car driver. I hope he gets a full-time ride. It would definitely make the series more entertaining, both on track and off track.

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael

Much agreed on the Dario part

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've lost count is this the 5th or 6th straight race where Marco has crashed?

18. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good for PT and Wilson. Danica and Marco need to go back to karting, seriously.

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Franchitti's Nascar gig has been over for a couple of weeks now. Chip pulled the plug after the sponsor had enough of the poor results on the final result sheets. Same with Tracy's Nascar effort as well.

These open wheel guys are finding out that this Nascar gig is quite tough.

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not true. From Autosport...

Dario Franchitti is set to remain in NASCAR with Chip Ganassi Racing for the remainder of the year and will compete in a limited number of races, primarily in the Nationwide Series, following the closure of his Sprint Cup series team last month.

Autosport.com has learned that Franchitti is set to stay focused on NASCAR for now after pondering the options he was offered by Chip Ganassi, following their meeting two weeks ago at Chicagoland Speedway.

The Scot plans to compete in seven Nationwide Series races, alternating with fellow rookie Bryan Clauson at the wheel of the No.40 Fastenal Dodge, which has also been driven by Reed Sorenson and Scott Pruett this year.

In addition, Franchitti could make a one-off return to the Sprint Cup Series in October, driving the No.40 Dodge in the Pep Boys Auto 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Franchitti is not expected to be back in the Nationwide Series until after the final road course race of the season at Watkins Glen, as Pruett is set to drive the No.40 car in the next two races at Montreal and The Glen.

Juan Pablo Montoya will also drive the No.40 Nationwide car later this year when he races at Texas Motor Speedway in preparation for a run in the series' season finale at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, where he will drive the No.42 car sponsored by Powerade.

21. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    The race was fun to watch, much more so than the "Allstate Michelin's Revenge at the Brickyard" debacle.
    but painful to listen to because of the maginally-talented Bob Jenkins. Offered absolutely no insights as to what was happening on track and his announcing style is best suited for GOLF! I'm sure he's a nice guy but PULLL-EEZE, keep him out of the broadcast booth!

KevFla

22. Nuc_Engr

Nuc_Engr Rookie

Sep 18, 2007
    You might as well say "These open wheel guys are finding out that this bumper-cars gig is quite tough." Anyone going from real racing where contact with another car likely puts you out of the race (if not flying through the air) to glorified bumper cars where 'rubbin's racin' and contact is considered part of the strategy is going to require a bit of a learning curve.

23. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I guess I should have been more specific. His Sprint Cup Series participation has had the plug pulled buy the sponsor and Chip. Yes, there is the real possibility of Franchitti dropping down to the minor leagues and running a limited amount of Nationwide Series races. But his deal with the big boys has officially had the plug pulled and Ganassi Racing announced that at a press conference a couple of weeks ago.

24. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Micheal does have a big problem to sort out. I sure Tony (best driver) now just wants to get away from this freak show. DP (press magnet) is not getting finshing results and Marco (boss's son) is acting like a spoiled brat.

DP and Marco need to go sit in the corner.

25. Nuc_Engr

Nuc_Engr Rookie

Sep 18, 2007
    No argument re: Marco and his whining. WRT Danica, though...finishing results? Really?
    Let's look at some actual facts here.

6th place in Driver's Points Standings.
    One-1st place finish, one-5th place finish, three-6th place finishes, one-9th place finish, two-10th place finishes. In all, 8-Top 10 finishes this year (out of 14) -- same number as Briscoe, one less than Wheldon.

Apparently, everyone except Dixon, Helio, and TK should all go sit in a corner? She has clearly shown she belongs in IRL. Being a press magnet is different than being a spoiled brat, and it doesn't diminish the fact that her results, while clearly not what any particular driver would set as a goal for him or herself, and while not enough to win the championship, still put her up there in the top tier.