Dino Saga 080706 _ Wheel, Mountain Lunch | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080706 _ Wheel, Mountain Lunch

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jul 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080706 _ Wheel, Mountain Lunch

Wheel Concepts had the final wheel done on Tuesday. Looks good and the car now drives the way it is supposed to. Got the new sleeves for the front wheels and life is so much easier when the wheel pilots on the spindle. Had a little problem with balancing the fronts. I want all balance weights inside the wheel but how far in if a single weight or where for the outside if you use two weights? Initial balance was with one weight placed near the inboard edge of the inner spinning. Bad idea. Balanced with two weights and all OK with one on the hub edge of the inner spinning, second one on the inboard edge. Good! I usually have the guys use one weight and set it centered on the tire center line. There is almost always a problem using 2 weights but this time, OK. Once the wheel was good, had to take a little ride to really exercise the car.

A group of car folks from the Northern LA area regularly make runs to various locations within a hundred mile radius or so. They hit Santa Barbara fairly regularly and I hear about it on the Southern California Forum. Generally all that is posted is the sign up sheet and the thank you notes for the organizer. I contacted one of the organizers and asked if I could have lunch with them at their next run up here. Thought it would be nice to see some interesting cars and folks. Also a good time to take pictures. Got a nice letter back that said “Sure.” They only give the destination a day before so I waited. Finally got a notice that 20-25 cars were headed for Cold Spring Tavern on 4th of July. Be there by 11:00 AM. Thought I would ride up half way and stop, take pictures as they went by and follow them to the restaurant. They were early and I was late because of the fire. Good places had cops keeping folks out. I stopped, explained my mission and the cop told me that the group had passed 10 minutes earlier. Went up to the restaurant and met a pretty large group with some very nice cars.

Cold Springs Tavern is in a little valley on the back side of the first range of the Santa Ynez mountains. A historical landmark that has good food with no pretenses. Cowboy style fits it just fine. Open from 11, lunch and dinner. Dance hall and bar 30 yards away. Music Thurs – Sun most weeks. Sunday afternoon is something special. Bikers come from all over, tri tip barbeque is set up outside the dance hall. Music starts at 1. Can be 100+ custom Harleys, Kawasakis, etc. Mostly big bikes and their owners. Good entertainment just walking around and looking. Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan keep things moving. The tavern has some of the largest cowboy bouncers ever seen. They keep everything mellow. Their motto is “We never have to call the cops…sometimes an ambulance!" The Tavern always has great steaks in the evening. Ambiance is great.

We got a limited version of their regular lunch menu. Serving the 40 or so folks went quick and easy. Food was good and we were done shortly after noon. Took lots of pictures and they follow. Car ran great. Fire was only 4 miles away but the only indication was the planes going over. Fire was on other side of the mountain so no worry. Our only problem at the country club is a rain of ash. Messes up the pool. Enjoy the pics.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice portrait of Hip-hop Joe!

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    John, glad you could make it and very nice pictures. I'll keep you posted of when we're going to visit your area next. :)